Dallas area differential bearing rebuilder

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dallas area differential bearing rebuilder

Looking for someone in the east Dallas-Plano-Rockwall area that could rebuild my differential. I have all the parts including bearings, girdle and oil. Hard to find someone that I can trust to do the work properly. I though I had someone, but he seems to be dragging his *** and I've already waited 3 months for him.
Car is a 2000 Camaro A4 with 3.73s and a good posi unit. Just need to bearings pressed in.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

try Daniel at Pro Tree
Old 07-26-2016, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Funny you say that, I just had one of my customers mention them yesterday. I'll swing by there Friday. Thanks
Old 07-27-2016, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I don't know if he sets gear patterns etc that you need done. He may, you'll have to ask.

Best place around hands down is Stan Hopkins off of hwy 175. All they do is rear ends, they do street cars and race cars. Good pricing and good work, been sending cars there for about 20 years.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I don't know if he sets gear patterns etc that you need done. He may, you'll have to ask.

Best place around hands down is Stan Hopkins off of hwy 175. All they do is rear ends, they do street cars and race cars. Good pricing and good work, been sending cars there for about 20 years.
I've heard about them and heard good things about them. It's just so far to get out there when this is my only form of transportation. So I'd probably have to take it there and wait which shops really don't like to do.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's easy just pressing in bearings if you have a press & bearing separator.
There has to be some person that does work on his own cars at his house up there.
I did my own when the rear in my truck was making noise.
I replaced the carrier bearings as the pinions were good, no more noise.
Gear pattern will remain the same using the same shims.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

I thought about doing it myself, but it just seemed to pass my comfort level. I do plan on changing out the pinion bearings as I want to make sure they're all good, so that's where my confidence went south. I was really hoping to find someone the could do it for a couple hundred bucks in the area.
As of yet, I hadn't had time to get to Pro Tree to speak with them as I work when they are open.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pinion bearing is easy to replace also, hardest part is if the pinion won't come out easy.
Get a quote from a shop & if your mechanically inclined you can buy all the tools needed I bet cheaper. I've seen shops charge up to 1k on gear swaps but I don't know what a bearing swap would cost.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

I suppose I could probably do it myself other than doing the crush sleeve part, not sure on how to do that.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Launching!

texas drivetrain and performance.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
That's easy just pressing in bearings if you have a press & bearing separator.
There has to be some person that does work on his own cars at his house up there.
I did my own when the rear in my truck was making noise.
I replaced the carrier bearings as the pinions were good, no more noise.
Gear pattern will remain the same using the same shims.
Not always, I got screwed by that recently. I changed bearings and they DID NOT measure out exactly to the old bearings and my pattern was off. I had to completely re-shim the pinion and carrier.

Also, those carrier bearings are a pain without the right tools, and the bearing on the side of the carrier that the ring gear is on is pretty much impossible to get off with a separator, so I had to grind a groove in mine and then hit it with a punch to split the race.

Originally Posted by BrittleSpeed
I suppose I could probably do it myself other than doing the crush sleeve part, not sure on how to do that.
The crush sleeve isn't all that bad, but without knowing how to set the drag on the pinion or having the right tools to measure can make the crush sleeve a real pain. You'll need a differential micrometer, a standard micrometer, and an inch pound gauge. Then it really helps to have a press.

Then there's the shimming of the pinion, for this step you need a die grinder and carbide bit to open up the race on the front pinion bearing so you can slide it on and off and swap shims without pressing the bearing on and off repeatedly.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I've heard about them and heard good things about them. It's just so far to get out there when this is my only form of transportation. So I'd probably have to take it there and wait which shops really don't like to do.
Go through the hassle of getting it done right the first time or go through the hassle of getting it done multiple times... that's the way I look at it.

I live in Rowlett too btw, and always go to Stan Hopkins, whether i'm having them do a rear end for me or if i'm going just for parts to do it myself. It's not that far.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Go through the hassle of getting it done right the first time or go through the hassle of getting it done multiple times... that's the way I look at it.

I live in Rowlett too btw, and always go to Stan Hopkins, whether i'm having them do a rear end for me or if i'm going just for parts to do it myself. It's not that far.
I've pretty much decided I'll leave it to someone that knows what they're doing. I spoke with Daniel at Pro Tree and he's going to take care of it for me next week. Hopefully all will go well. If it were a gear swap, I might consider going to Stan.

Where in Rowlett are you? Surprised I hadn't seen the truck, so I'm assuming you're on the west side.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

I've pretty much decided I'll leave it to someone that knows what they're doing. I spoke with Daniel at Pro Tree and he's going to take care of it for me next week. Hopefully all will go well. If it were a gear swap, I might consider going to Stan.

Where in Rowlett are you? Surprised I hadn't seen the truck, so I'm assuming you're on the west side.
Why would you only take it to Stan's if it was a gear change? The pattern still needs to be set after bearings, or at least checked. I'm not just saying that because I've read it, I've done it. I rebuilt my rear end recently and re used my original gears and the pattern was horrible. It had to be re-setup. I have swapped a differential and re-used stock gears and not set the pattern and it came out great also. So it can go either way on you. And that's why it needs to be checked. However, that being said the pattern was way off when I used a different brand of bearings. The diff I just tossed in had the same brand that came out, so if you stick with the same brand you'll likely be okay without setting the pattern. Likely, maybe.

Yes west side of Rowlett, near Rowlett Rd and Dalrock. I assume you're close to Dalrock?
Old 08-11-2016, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gear pattern will need to be checked and possibly reset
Daniel will fix you up
Old 08-12-2016, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by green94z
The gear pattern will need to be checked and possibly reset
Daniel will fix you up
Looks like you're good to go
Old 08-12-2016, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Why would you only take it to Stan's if it was a gear change? The pattern still needs to be set after bearings, or at least checked. I'm not just saying that because I've read it, I've done it. I rebuilt my rear end recently and re used my original gears and the pattern was horrible. It had to be re-setup. I have swapped a differential and re-used stock gears and not set the pattern and it came out great also. So it can go either way on you. And that's why it needs to be checked. However, that being said the pattern was way off when I used a different brand of bearings. The diff I just tossed in had the same brand that came out, so if you stick with the same brand you'll likely be okay without setting the pattern. Likely, maybe.

Yes west side of Rowlett, near Rowlett Rd and Dalrock. I assume you're close to Dalrock?
Daniel seems to be getting really good feedback, nonne has said any negative on him, so I'm sure I can count on him. Also, he told me he's getting a dyno, so another good place to to go local.

Yea, Dalrock and 66, just about Rockwall.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Daniel seems to be getting really good feedback, nonne has said any negative on him, so I'm sure I can count on him. Also, he told me he's getting a dyno, so another good place to to go local.

Yea, Dalrock and 66, just about Rockwall.
Good deal man, when he's done post up feedback, everyone posts bad **** but people rarely post good.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

So Daniel got my car done and all is good. Want to thank him for putting the extra time in to make sure I got my daily back so I can get to work the next day. Costed a little most then expected, but he ended up having to do a lot of work on my axle bearings and replace those as well. I can recommend him for your 4th gen needs.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

So Daniel got my car done and all is good. Want to thank him for putting the extra time in to make sure I got my daily back so I can get to work the next day. Costed a little most then expected, but he ended up having to do a lot of work on my axle bearings and replace those as well. I can recommend him for your 4th gen needs.
Good to hear.

Quick Reply: Dallas area differential bearing rebuilder