Any LT1 guys left in Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016 | 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Default Any LT1 guys left in Houston?

I think my opti is going out but I want to be 100% sure before I pull it. I'm just not sure if the symptoms I have are accurate for an opti dying or if it's something else. When my first opti went out it didn't do anything like it's doing now.
Old 08-12-2016 | 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, what's it doing?
Old 08-12-2016 | 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

A few crazy people here and there.
Old 08-13-2016 | 10:52 AM
Launching!
10 Year Member

Well, I still have a set of cast iron heads lying around. And I still have the inverted Torx tool (E4?) for disassembling the OptiSpark. I'd bet the Harmonic Balancer still has quick-removal capabilities, too. I think I have a water pump I saved to (maybe) upgrade to electric.

But, NO!...I've moved to LSx's...

-KP
Old 08-13-2016 | 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Well, what's it doing?
Terrible idle and no power after like 2200. Feels like im pulling a trailer in a headwind. But no typical opti misfire/backfire.
Old 08-13-2016 | 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

More info would help. How many miles on that opti? How long has it been doing it? Does it feel like you're hitting a rev limiter (not THE limiter, just does it feel like that)? What brand opti is in there?

Make sure it's not fuel by checking fuel pressure, and start with inspecting all the plug wires for damage/burns/breaks. Also watch the engine at night and look for spark arcing out the wires. Make sure your plugs aren't fouled. You want to eliminate all the small stuff before doing the opti. Too many of them are misdiagnosed, and it just costs you time and money.
Old 08-13-2016 | 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spartan7
More info would help.

How many miles on that opti? Approx 15k
How long has it been doing it? 3 months/approx 1200 miles
Does it feel like you're hitting a rev limiter (not THE limiter, just does it feel like that)? It feels like all the timing is getting snatched out on a ramp as I accelerate from any rpm in any gear(timing verified not getting pulled out)
What brand opti is in there? Delco

Make sure it's not fuel by checking fuel pressure, Tested good last week
and start with inspecting all the plug wires for damage/burns/breaks. Brand new wires checked and wrapped
Also watch the engine at night and look for spark arcing out the wires. No burns that I have seen. I burned a full set up before I got this new set and wrapped them in high temp wrap. No issues since.
Make sure your plugs aren't fouled. Brand new plugs with less than 500 miles. Last set came out perfectly clean

You want to eliminate all the small stuff before doing the opti. Too many of them are misdiagnosed, and it just costs you time and money.
I answered all to the best of my ability. I have been doing some more reading. I dont think its the opti at all. I am going to pull my IAC and clean it. I noticed in my datalog my IAC drops down to 3 at idle when the log shows that the minimum is supposed to be 28. At part throttle it goes above 28 but it just isnt making power.
Old 08-14-2016 | 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

When my opti went out (only once in 8years or so) my car didn't even start.
Old 08-15-2016 | 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Does the car still have cats? A bad opti should show signs ie miss fire, hard start, noticeable stumble.
Old 08-16-2016 | 02:32 AM
Launching!

chk the 02......make sure their good
Old 08-16-2016 | 07:02 AM
TECH Resident

Cats are gone. O/R Y. The o2s are brand new but I will pull them and check them again. Hopefully I come to a resolution today good or bad. Tired of messing with it. I'd like to just drive.
Old 08-16-2016 | 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Any check engine lights? Have you checked the knock sensors? Also what year are we dealing with.
Old 08-16-2016 | 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRASHz427
A bad opti should show signs ie miss fire, hard start, noticeable stumble.
Not necessarily. OP, don't just pull the O2's to look at them. Watch the voltage fluctuations with a scanner to make sure they're switching correctly. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it to make sure you're not dropping off fuel pressure at higher RPM's.

Also eliminate the rest of the ignition system.

http://shbox.com/1/coil_testing.jpg
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
Old 08-16-2016 | 10:25 PM
Launching!

My 95 Hawk felt like the OP stated both times the opt went out. No power after about 2k rpm
Old 08-17-2016 | 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Car is a 94.

I have checked the opti harness as well as the ICM harness both are dead on spec. The o2s are bosch; brand new with less than 1k miles on them. They alternate between maybe 80 and 860 mV. I was told they are supposed to vary that much. I'm not sure if they're supposed to do it simultaneously but they tend to alternate with one being high and one being low.

I checked and cleaned the IAC yesterday as well as the TB. Put it back on and all the symptoms persisted:

-rough idle[idle goes as low as 475 during logging while in gear and quickly attempts to recover to 550 where it's supposed to be],

-power through all rpm ranges above 2000 greatly reduced
-vibration that I can feel through the pedal almost on a loop
-intermittent backfiring

One thing I heard yesterday as I left it running right before I put a gun in my mouth was some kind of popping that almost sounded like arching so today I'm going to ****** the alternator and alternator bracket and pull all the plugs and wires. I'll ohm out all the wires to be sure it's not those for the 3rd time.
Old 08-17-2016 | 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

In an earlier post you stated it wasnt backfiring. To be clear it is backfiring? In my opinion that changes the hunt up a bit. Its apparent you have an ignition issue but Im still not sold on the opti just yet. Let us know what you find after the plug and wire inspection.
Old 08-17-2016 | 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

I dont think its burning all the fuel. It only backfires on decel maybe once a week. I just put the symptom in there because it is a symptom I guess.
Old 08-17-2016 | 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CRASHz427
In an earlier post you stated it wasnt backfiring. To be clear it is backfiring? In my opinion that changes the hunt up a bit. Its apparent you have an ignition issue but Im still not sold on the opti just yet. Let us know what you find after the plug and wire inspection.
I know its supposed to rain some more today so Im probably going to give it a bit. I dont mind working in the heat but I dont have a garage so Im a bit exposed to the elements.

Quick Reply: Any LT1 guys left in Houston?