$250 bucks and I don't know what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question $250 bucks and I don't know what to do...

Can you local guys give me some advice on what to do with my car for $250? My car is stock except for headers and air lid. I have to spend it quick or my wife will forget that she said I could spend it . I would love to go the route of a cam but I don't know the first thing about buying one, especially used (what to look for as far as abuse goes). I also thought about a dual pillar gauge pod but what is that going to do for me? I've looked at about 5 different web sites and now my head is spinning. Thanks for the help folks.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

used Nitrous Kit thats cheap and very good results
Old 03-18-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Give it to me. I know how to spend it.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28
Give it to me. I know how to spend it.
I beleive I went to your house once for a BBQ. I'd say you spent about $250 on the meat!! LOL!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Muffler swap / Cutout ?
Old 03-18-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

TB, or cheap n20 kit, i saw one yesterday in for sale forum
Old 03-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

titty bar!!!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Banned

Hmm give it to me, and when I get home from WI. I will spend it on a comming home party. LOL

Hate to say it, hide the money, untill she says you can have more mod money, there just ain't much you can do for $250. Maybe 2500 would be better, go back and see what she says about that one.

JET
Old 03-18-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

For $250 you can: Fill up w/ some 93 octane, buy a bottle of octane booster, and pick you up a K&N replacement filter

j/k there's not a whole lot you can do....save up a little longer and buy a nitrous kit.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:25 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a subframe connector! Right price range, and from what I've read, I think it'd be better to start off with one before doing any big power mods instead of waiting till after your creaks and leaks get worse
Old 03-18-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe I should have explained the situation at hand. The wife and I are saving up to get the siding redone on our house (hardiplank). So for about a year now, everytime I say let's do this or let's do that or I want this or I want that she says, "no...not yet...we are saving for siding..." So, she went and got a tattoo of a butterfly for $240 plus $10 in topical aides - she asked me if it was okay to do this and I said sure go ahead! Then I turned around and said but I get $250 toward my car . She shrugged and said, "I was afraid you were going to say that". So, I have to spend it now or she will put it right back with the siding fund.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ACW
Get a subframe connector! Right price range, and from what I've read, I think it'd be better to start off with one before doing any big power mods instead of waiting till after your creaks and leaks get worse
Thats a good idea! Thanks for the replies
Old 03-18-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anLS1x2
Maybe I should have explained the situation at hand. The wife and I are saving up to get the siding redone on our house (hardiplank). So for about a year now, everytime I say let's do this or let's do that or I want this or I want that she says, "no...not yet...we are saving for siding..." So, she went and got a tattoo of a butterfly for $240 plus $10 in topical aides - she asked me if it was okay to do this and I said sure go ahead! Then I turned around and said but I get $250 toward my car . She shrugged and said, "I was afraid you were going to say that". So, I have to spend it now or she will put it right back with the siding fund.
OK, since you won't give it to me , I would spend it on subframe connectors as someone mentioned. I got some SLP ones on my car (heavy, but very stiff). Just right price range.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

I wonder how much a drum of unleaded race gas is going for these days?
Old 03-18-2005, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

yeah i would go with subframe connectors, it makes a huge difference
Old 03-18-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nitrous fed SS
yeah i would go with subframe connectors, it makes a huge difference
What brand should I go with? I noticed that SLPs look to be very heavy duty while Spohn and BMR look like single bars. And why is it that a bolt on version is $100 more than a weld on? Does it really cost that much more for bolts and to drill a few holes . Thanks for the feed back.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The SLP ones are alot stiffer than plain old bar. They are triangulated and they distribute the load better. I had them on my car for over 4 years, and I have no rattles at all, and the chassis does not flex that much under hard cornering conditions. I had tons of rattles on my '98 that didn't have have SFC. Bolts are not that much more expensive, so I don't know why the $100 difference. How much do the bolt on ones run now? I think I paid around $200 or 250.

Now if you think about weld on ones. Unless you are handy with the welder, you will have to pay someone to install them. I bolted my on in 30 minutes. True, weld on ones will be stiffer than bolt on ones.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28
The SLP ones are alot stiffer than plain old bar. They are triangulated and they distribute the load better. I had them on my car for over 4 years, and I have no rattles at all, and the chassis does not flex that much under hard cornering conditions. I had tons of rattles on my '98 that didn't have have SFC. Bolts are not that much more expensive, so I don't know why the $100 difference. How much do the bolt on ones run now? I think I paid around $200 or 250.

Now if you think about weld on ones. Unless you are handy with the welder, you will have to pay someone to install them. I bolted my on in 30 minutes. True, weld on ones will be stiffer than bolt on ones.
The bolt ons are like $369 and the weld ons are $250. SLPs site isn't working right now so I don't have the exact price. Maybe someone else sells them cheaper.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

I'd go for cam, heads, SFC, and N20. It's really simple. Get a 2nd mortgage for the Hardiplank, and have the contractor include that stuff in the price!!! j/k

A note on the siding, if the old siding is the "masonite" style pressed board siding, you might be entitled to some cash. I got about $2500 for my garage siding, because it was crap! THE STUFF WAS DISSOLVING AFTER 20 YEARS!! I got a letter from a guy offering to handle everyting for 30% cut, so I said go for it. He cut out a small piece, put a patch over the hole, and then handled all the paper work. About a month later I got the check.

On the Hardiplank, investigate "vent skinning". It can reduce your electric bills a bunch.
It prevents the heat from transferring to the interior walls. Shouldn't cost but a few dollars extra, but you'll make it up in a few months.

I did it on the 4 car garage, and in the summer, I don't even have to air condition, it stays soo cool. (If I have to leave the garage door open, it does heat up).

If you need more info, gimme a shout.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02SOMZ28
I'd go for cam, heads, SFC, and N20. It's really simple. Get a 2nd mortgage for the Hardiplank, and have the contractor include that stuff in the price!!! j/k

A note on the siding, if the old siding is the "masonite" style pressed board siding, you might be entitled to some cash. I got about $2500 for my garage siding, because it was crap! THE STUFF WAS DISSOLVING AFTER 20 YEARS!! I got a letter from a guy offering to handle everyting for 30% cut, so I said go for it. He cut out a small piece, put a patch over the hole, and then handled all the paper work. About a month later I got the check.

On the Hardiplank, investigate "vent skinning". It can reduce your electric bills a bunch.
It prevents the heat from transferring to the interior walls. Shouldn't cost but a few dollars extra, but you'll make it up in a few months.

I did it on the 4 car garage, and in the summer, I don't even have to air condition, it stays soo cool. (If I have to leave the garage door open, it does heat up).

If you need more info, gimme a shout.
I really appreciate the info on the siding. I will definately give you a shout. We are having a contractor come out Monday to give us an estimate.