any graduate mechanical engineers? tell me about your job

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default any graduate mechanical engineers? tell me about your job

ive been wanting to go into mechanical engineering for a while. when i think of mechanical engineer i think of bringing stuff together and making it all work together(like putting an LS1 in a wrangler). is that really how it is? can someone give me an example of what you actually do as a mechanical engineer

i really dont want to bust my *** to get a engineering degree then end up hating it once i get a job, because its not what i expected it to be
Old 03-09-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might find a few jobs like that (racing team, small aftermarket company, etc.) but those are few, far between, and very desirable. They also typically don't pay all that well.

There really is an almost unlimited possiblity with said degree. I spent the first 2.5 years as a design engineer. A lot of CAD, etc. Very compartmentalized, monotonous, and really almost a dead-end in a larger company.

Now I'm in a half sales, half engineering role with an oilfield services company. It pays a lot better, but is MUCH less technical. That seems to be a pretty good rule of thumb, too.

I personally think it's one of the best degrees you can get in terms of versatility, but your job will likely not be the design, fabricating, or testing that your guidance counselor has sold you on.

There's plenty of degreed engineers on here, so you should get some answers.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Good engineers use the search button first. It is a valuable resource!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/854257-question-all-engineers-tx.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/850385-ee-job-finish-masters.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/797503-engineering-question.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/racer-s-lounge/867717-people-careers-invovling-cars.html
Old 03-10-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ah, lol thanks- i still dont know what they do though, the only thought i have now is that you end up doing nothing with engineering haha i can understand design engineering and using CAD, but mechanical engineering- ive never known/talked to anyone that does straight up mechanical engineering only
Old 03-10-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Like many others here, I'm currently pursuing my BSME solely because I like working on cars. I honestly do not know if it's a wise decision. In southeast Texas, many ME majors end up working for companies which design industrial and petroleum related products. My mom with a BSME just works with CAD applications all day and designs piping material.

I'm really torn because I've discovered that I'm actually strong in the art department. Art is an ENTIRELY different major, and I'm not ready to switch over to that yet.

Regardless, I've always heard that engineering is a valuable, yet difficult to obtain, degree.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get ready for a **** load of MATH! If you don't like math, I'd advise you to not even try it. I was a mechanical engineering major my freshman year and it blowed chunks, I switched to computer information systems. I figured I was better with computers than math. I wish you the best of luck man.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
ah, lol thanks- i still dont know what they do though, the only thought i have now is that you end up doing nothing with engineering haha i can understand design engineering and using CAD, but mechanical engineering- ive never known/talked to anyone that does straight up mechanical engineering only
What is straight up mechanical engineering??? LOL. There are hardly any engineers that use ALL facets of the degree you get (thermal / fluids, design, stress analysis, aerodynamics, instrumentation....the list goes on and on).

My point is that it's a versatile degree, so almost EVERY person you talk to will have had a different experience. It is what you make of it...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kerryt1
My point is that it's a versatile degree, so almost EVERY person you talk to will have had a different experience. It is what you make of it...
Exactly. BSME here and most of my fellow graduates (I won't say how long ago) have completely different careers than I have chosen.

I work in demand side energy. Specifically energy conservation, including systems design and facility modeling. Its a total blast and I have worked in some very unique places such as DOD facilites, DOE sites, aerospace manufacturing, and universities. I can't imagine not being an engineer.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

The four most common career paths that often utilize an M.E. degree are the following:

1. Design
2. Project Management
3. Research & Testing
4. Technical Sales

Out of the four, Proj Mgmt and Sales have the highest salary potential. But, you also need to have a personality and work well in a team environment.

Just because you are an engineer, that doesn't automatically mean you design things. Most jobs require the eng degree because they need you to understand the fundamentals of mechanical components, tensile and shear loads, heating/cooling equipment, fluid dynamics, and material properties. These are simple calculations once you know the fundamentals of them.

As for working on cars, that was also my motivation for getting the BSME. I wanted to know how/why things worked on a higher level than the average person. But, the automotive industry doesn't pay nearly as well as oil/gas, and I don't have to live in crap-tastic Detroit. Cars are a hobby, and I enjoy them better this way.

Tony
Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

A buddy of mine has his BSME and he designed elevators for a little while. Now he works at Halliburton.

Mechanical Engineers where my father works do the "packaging" which is designing and drawing the "shells" or prototypes to house optics, circuit boards, etc. Now they use a new program way more advanced than autocad which can tell the ME if certain parts will fit in certain areas. Its a powerful program.

I am currently attending UTD for a BSEE. The required classes are ridiculous.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Teching In

I'm a mechanical engineer and I work for a MEP consulting engineering firm. We design, HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems for new construction and renovations. I work mostly with CAD all day, but we also are out in the field some to verify existing conditions on building we are renovating and to check progress on jobs.

It can be very monotonous, but all in all it is pretty interesting. There isn't much room to be really creative or inventive. I'm limited in what I can do by those who employ me, and rightfully so. The glamorous design-really-neat-stuff kind of jobs aren't the ones you get right out of school most likely. Those come with time and experience.

I had a friend in college who (like me) got in to ME because he loved cars. Graduated and got a job with Ford. He ended up spending his first year on a team designing the seat belts for the Ford Taurus. He hated it! You probably won't get to do what you really want to do. The good thing is, you will have a job that uses the skill set you were born with so at least you will be good at it. Finding something you really like may not come until years after you graduate. In the meantime you can perform admirably at a task for which you get paid well and do a just service to those who will benefit from your work. You can exercise your personal desire to get crazy with inventiveness in your garage. Crackpots are cool!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tylerherring
I had a friend in college who (like me) got in to ME because he loved cars. Graduated and got a job with Ford. He ended up spending his first year on a team designing the seat belts for the Ford Taurus. He hated it! You probably won't get to do what you really want to do.
I've heard the same comments from several other ME's working for an OEM like Ford or GM. They hated it and couldn't wait to get out. On another note I had a friend who was an ME who worked for Carol Shelby in McKinney, TX years ago. The pay was not spectacular, but he got to work exclusively on their race car they had going at the time. I don't remember whether or not he liked it, but he ended up quiting and starting his own business.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

I have a BSME and work at a Thermal Spray company. The possibilities and different fields you can get into are enormous, but the pay and preferred jobs are not always there, especially when you first graduate. If you want to get into a more specific industry, graduate school is a good way to get there.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Although I am not a mechanical engineer. I am an electrical engineer. I work very closely with mechanical engineers on a daily basis. I work for a spance and military defense company. The pay is great so I can't complain. Depending on the level you are when you are hired, you start off doing paper work and some dirty work. About a year or two later a person can get involved with a design or redesign of some sort. After awhile you can decide if you want to be a manager or stay on the technical side. The management side comes with more money but more responisbility. Engineering is a good field to get into and its a lot of fun if you find the right company. As far as all of the math that is required, you will not be using it as much as you think you will.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I graduated this past December from OU with a BSME. I am now working at Neuman & Esser Group which is a German based reciprocating compressor company. We design and manufacture reciprocating compressors for different applications from refineries to breweries. I started as an application engineer working with development/review of engineering drawings and documents, preparation of proposals, sizing of compression equipment and obtaining quotations for budgets. So far I like it a lot and I really do have a solid interest in "rotating equipment" like recips, turbines, screw compressors, centrifugals, so you just got to find a subject you have an interest in.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedRyder518
I graduated this past December from OU with a BSME. I am now working at Neuman & Esser Group which is a German based reciprocating compressor company. We design and manufacture reciprocating compressors for different applications from refineries to breweries. I started as an application engineer working with development/review of engineering drawings and documents, preparation of proposals, sizing of compression equipment and obtaining quotations for budgets. So far I like it a lot and I really do have a solid interest in "rotating equipment" like recips, turbines, screw compressors, centrifugals, so you just got to find a subject you have an interest in.
That sounds like a fun job! I do alot of large chilled water plants and cogen projects. Nothing screams like a 2K ton screw!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

It would be a good idea (although not the easiest thing to get into) to get a job "interning" for an engineering company. I'm currently in school and working for a major engineering construction and procurement company. I got really luck and I'm a full time employee. I've got to see what engineering is all about for myself. A couple of months ago I got moved into Project Engineering where I get to go to client meetings and discuss solutions....now I'm not mentioning all of this to brag...I mention it so that you know that there are alot of benefits to trying to work for one of these companies while you're in school. You get to see how your school will apply to your actual job. Some jobs (depending on what position you get into) will be more math than others. For me it helps to see how what I'm learning in school will apply to an actual real life situation (which is what engineering is all about).

Nineball hit the nail on the head. Cars (especially on this board) are the reason that most became an ME. Having them as your hobby instead of you job will allow you to enjoy them alot more. All of the mechanics I know spend most of their time working on cars at work....and either 1. Don't have enough money to work on their own "toys". or 2. Work so much that they have the money, but donot have the time to work on their own toys.

I would highly recommend getting a job interning....you pretty much have to get luck or know someone to get in....but it's well worth the effort. Even if you decide not to stay with that particular company after you graduate...you still get your 2 or more years experience....the more experience in this field the better.