**Need Advise on how 2 buy Cash Car from dealer, 17K to spend**

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation **Need Advise on how 2 buy Cash Car from dealer, 17K to spend**

OK guys so I have my car back and I finally got the settlement from the insurance, now in the market for a car again, I want to get another lsx car, and I have 17K cash available to spend, I cant and don’t want to go over 17k Cash. What price range should I look for, if at the end of the deal I want to pay a total of 17k including TT&L. I have never bought car cash before from a dealer, so I don’t really know what to expect. Also since I have this amount of money to spend cash, can try to get them to take at least 2k of the sticker price since the transaction would be finalized at the moment I leave the dealership and they will make 17k cash, or no??
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Get a vette!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

look for cars listed for around $17k, and talk them down to out the door for $17k
Old 08-22-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try buying from a Private seller instead of a dealership dude
Old 08-22-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
try buying from a Private seller instead of a dealership dude

Although I've bought 2 cars from dealerships and 2 from private sellers...the best deal of them all was when I got my 04 Cobra from a dealer in San Antonio
Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by redsox_ws6
OK guys so I have my car back and I finally got the settlement from the insurance, now in the market for a car again, I want to get another lsx car, and I have 17K cash available to spend, I cant and don’t want to go over 17k Cash. What price range should I look for, if at the end of the deal I want to pay a total of 17k including TT&L. I have never bought car cash before from a dealer, so I don’t really know what to expect. Also since I have this amount of money to spend cash, can try to get them to take at least 2k of the sticker price since the transaction would be finalized at the moment I leave the dealership and they will make 17k cash, or no??
I think you lost me with the lack of punctuation, but tax is 6.25% in Texas. The title and licensing fees are not much.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a smoking deal on my 98 vette back in 02 from a dealership. the sales manager wanted it off the showroom, gave me a number WAAAYYYY less than what was on the window, i went home got a check and insurance through USAA and drove home in a red C5
Old 08-22-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy a car from a person not dealership... my brother just bought a 00 SS with 38k for 12.5k ... looks brand new right off the floor no scraches/swirls/dents/dings anything... even smelled new... **** you buy something like that you got lots of play money after
Old 08-22-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Buy from whoever has the best deal...dealer or private party.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:50 PM
10-Second Club

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
look for cars listed for around $17k, and talk them down to out the door for $17k
If they are listing for $17k, you can probably get it out the door for $15k. Make sure you look up the fair market on the cars using NADA or KBB and go from there. They aren't the end all be all figures, but it can give you some additional bargaining power.

The main thing about buying is, you have to decide what you want to spend before hand & be WILLING to walk if they don't come down to what you want. To hell with the meet in the middle crap, they will try to keep counter offering you for more, if you are firm & tell them $xxx is what I'll give you for it right now, cash money, or I'm walking....they will go talk to the manager, come back with a price, then the manager will come and probably do a 'take over' and try to close the deal, don't fall for it, just tell them my original offer is on the table, take it or I'm leaving. Tell them you have appointments to see similar cars right down the road & just get up to leave. Make sure you get your TDL back from them right after the test drive too so they don't try to hold you hostage with it.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Modsquad
If they are listing for $17k, you can probably get it out the door for $15k. Make sure you look up the fair market on the cars using NADA or KBB and go from there. They aren't the end all be all figures, but it can give you some additional bargaining power.

The main thing about buying is, you have to decide what you want to spend before hand & be WILLING to walk if they don't come down to what you want. To hell with the meet in the middle crap, they will try to keep counter offering you for more, if you are firm & tell them $xxx is what I'll give you for it right now, cash money, or I'm walking....they will go talk to the manager, come back with a price, then the manager will come and probably do a 'take over' and try to close the deal, don't fall for it, just tell them my original offer is on the table, take it or I'm leaving. Tell them you have appointments to see similar cars right down the road & just get up to leave. Make sure you get your TDL back from them right after the test drive too so they don't try to hold you hostage with it.

****, any car listed at 17k on the lot probably has 4k worth of room to work with. Infact a lot of cars 10k or less have almost that much sometimes. Granted the dealer may have put too much into a particular car. At 17k though, Id tell em Ill give em 12k right now, and pull the trigger on it at 14k +ttl.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:05 PM
10-Second Club

Originally Posted by SJRTX
****, any car listed at 17k on the lot probably has 4k worth of room to work with. Infact a lot of cars 10k or less have almost that much sometimes. Granted the dealer may have put too much into a particular car. At 17k though, Id tell em Ill give em 12k right now, and pull the trigger on it at 14k +ttl.
Which is why I said $15k OUT THE DOOR. TT+L will be a nice chunk if you don't have a trade in.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you don't have kids get a Vette... I have owned a few Camaros and now that I bought a Vette I would not buy another Camaro. I paid 15.5 for this 01, it came with polished Y2k wheels.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

yall aren't familiar with internet pricing managers. a lot of dealerships are posting competitive prices recently.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:39 PM
10-Second Club

About time. All the smoke & mirrors B.S. is a load of crap, but I know they typically keep a lot of wiggle room because so many people come in with an upside down trade.....I got my beater Cherokee for 7k out the door, they had it listed for 10k before TT&L. I could have got one from a private seller a little cheaper but this one was exactly what I wanted & had lower miles than another others I found that were close to what I wanted.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Banned

Location: Putting my feet in your couch, cause thats how im living

Buy a LSX geo dude. Those things gotta have a mean power to weight ratio.
O yeah and a 200 shot to top it off.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

I went out looking for a non-lsx daily driver for around 10k cash and i couldnt get the dealers to budge no more then 600 or so. I finally ended up with a 05 equinox, 8500 out the door with the sticker price at like 8999. but that was like the 20th dealer i stopped at.
happy car shopping