whats a 04 GTO with 17k miles worth with salvage title?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whats a 04 GTO with 17k miles worth with salvage title?

I am thinking about buying a 2004 red GTO that had had some rear suspension damage and a quarter panel damaged. The car has been repaired but it still has a salvaged title. What do you guys think it is worth if it drives right and has no existing problems? The car has just a little over 17,000 miles on it. It has the red and black interior with 5.7 and a 6 speed. I am pretty sure the car is bone stock with no aftermarket parts.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 k at most what happen to it and was the frame tweak?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

yea never mind I did a car fax on it and the guy was basicly lieing or at least leaving out info the salvage title was filed in alabama from Rita/katrina by carfax. Then the car was rebuilt or what ever and purchased again and involved in a minor accident where the rear end damage occured and was issued a salvage again probably due to the original salvage of the car. It doesn't say the car was flooded but definetly doesn't look good. They did say the car was running and driving and drives perfect and every thing works on the car. The car actually looks clean as hell. I am pretty sure I will be staying far from that one. If there is any one else possibly interested the car is going for $9000.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

9k$ is wishful thinking
if its that bad, prolly easier to sell parting out and as roller
Old 09-28-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

There looks to be nothing wrong with the car. I was going to go tomarrow and drive it but after I did the car fax and seen it was salvaged due to RITA/Katrina in alabama I pretty much said forget it. They guarantee the car t orun and drive perfect. It is actually at a hole in the wall dealer.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Banned

at least check it out....it could be worth it. I have seen a few places sell a decent salvaged title car.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Im curious, if the car was flooded, but is in great shape now (totally restored) why stay away from it?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Burninator
Im curious, if the car was flooded, but is in great shape now (totally restored) why stay away from it?
Well would you want a car that soaked in saltwater for a couple days? Car fax doesn't say it was flood damaged but how d oyou tell just what caused it to be totaled? thats the only thing that scares me away from the car. It was definetly totaled because of some thing to do with katrina. it doesn't specificly say it was becasue of katrina but it was totaled at that same time, and it was registered in a county that was declared a disaster because of katrina. thats the info Carfax gives.
I also checked it out with the vehicle history report that ebay uses and it was listed on there totaled due to storm damage. Still no mention of water damage though. what do you guys think? Is there a way to find out exactly what damage the car had that would have totaled it? I couldn't find any info on the previous owners or I would just contact them.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
Well would you want a car that soaked in saltwater for a couple days? Car fax doesn't say it was flood damaged but how d oyou tell just what caused it to be totaled? thats the only thing that scares me away from the car. It was definetly totaled because of some thing to do with katrina. it doesn't specificly say it was becasue of katrina but it was totaled at that same time, and it was registered in a county that was declared a disaster becasue of katrina. I also checked it out with the vehicle history report that ebay uses and it was listed on there totaled due to storm damage. Still no mention of water damage though. what do you guys think? Is there a way to find out exactly what damage the car had? I couldn't find any info on the previous owners or I would just contact them.
pull off the sill plate and lift up the carpet enough to see aroud the bolt hole for the drivers seat. If its been flooded it will show there.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

what would it look like jus tbe rusty or what?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
what would it look like jus tbe rusty or what?
pretty much. You would definitely be able to tell.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

I will probably go look at the car tomarrow and check it out a little bit closer.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Teching In

so then its just a rust problem?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

I would be worried about the electrical issues probably more than rust. I am sure there would be rust issues also in the near future.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look under the dash at the metal under there.. the seat tracks.. under the carpet
Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

didnt think rita/kitrina hit ala only thought it got la,mis.but i could be wrong.there used be one on jones and 290 same car but no salvage plus had mods by slp full bolt on's.said it was owned buy older man.had 21k miles they was asking 17k i think lot more than 9k but no damage on car..
Old 09-29-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

is there a way to find out who owned a vehicle from the Vin number? I would call the old owners of the car and ask them why the car was salvaged.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Default This is what a crappy title history looks like

Report Run Date: 2008-09-29 00:35:49.209 EDT
The vehicle identification number you submitted has been analyzed and summary information on your car is shown below.

VIN: 6G2VX12G34L235540
Year: 2004
Make: Pontiac
Model: GTO
Style/Body: Coupe 2D
Class: Sport Car - Touring
Engine: 5.7L V8 SFI
Country of Assembly: United States
Vehicle Age: 4 year(s)
Calculated Owners: 4
Last Reported
Odometer Reading: 17,454

This vehicle's AutoCheck Score
6878-86

This vehicle does not qualify for
Buyback Protection

Section summaries

Title and ProblemCheck: Major title or other problem(s) reported
OdometerCheck: Your vehicle checks out!
Vehicle Use and EventCheck: Specific vehicle use(s) or events reported
Full History: Detailed information available

Problem Reported! AutoCheck's database for this 2004 Pontiac GTO (6G2VX12G34L235540) shows a negative title(s) or other problems. When reported to AutoCheck, these events can indicate serious past damage or other significant problems.

3 Problem(s) Reported: 15 Title/Problem areas checked:
No abandoned title record
Damaged title record(s) or major damage incident record(s)
No fire damaged title record
No grey market title record
No hail damage title record
No insurance loss title record
No junk or scrapped title record
No manufacturer buyback/lemon title record
No odometer problem title record
Rebuilt/rebuildable title record(s)
Salvage title or salvage auction record(s)
No water damaged title record
No NHTSA crash test record
No frame damage record
No recycling facility record

Your Vehicle Checks Out! AutoCheck examined the reported odometer readings reported to AutoCheck for this 2004 Pontiac GTO (6G2VX12G34L235540) and no indication of an odometer rollback or tampering was found. AutoCheck uses business rules to determine if reported odometer readings are significantly less than previously reported values. Not all reported odometer readings are used. Title and auction events also report odometer tampering or breakage.

0 Problem(s) Reported: Mileage Date Reported
50 11/30/2004
9,485 01/10/2006
9,585 07/06/2007
10,936 08/31/2007
17,454 02/08/2008

Information Reported! AutoCheck shows additional information reported to AutoCheck about how this 2004 Pontiac GTO (6G2VX12G34L235540)has been used and other events. This includes reported accidents and corrected or duplicate titles and storm area registrations.

0 Event(s) Reported: 6 Vehicle uses checked:
No fleet, rental and/or lease use record
No taxi use record
No police use record
No government use record
No livery use record
No driver education record
3 Event(s) Reported: 9 Vehicle events checked:
Accident record(s) reported through state agencies or independent sources
No corrected title record
No duplicate title record
No emission/safety inspection record
Loan/Lien record(s)
No fire damage incident record
No repossessed record
No theft record
Storm area registration/title record(s)

Below are the historical events for this vehicle listed in chronological order. Any discrepancies will be in bold text.
Report Run Date: 2008-09-29 00:35:49.209 EDT
Vehicle: 2004 Pontiac GTO (6G2VX12G34L235540)
Event date Location Odometer reading Data Source Details
11/30/2004 DAPHNE, AL 50 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:33456222) (Lien Reported) Reported registered/titled prior to storm event in FEMA designated storm area. We recommend a professional vehicle inspection to confirm no storm damage.
12/08/2004 DAPHNE, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL Reported registered/titled prior to storm event in FEMA designated storm area. We recommend a professional vehicle inspection to confirm no storm damage.
04/29/2005 DAPHNE, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL Reported registered/titled prior to storm event in FEMA designated storm area. We recommend a professional vehicle inspection to confirm no storm damage.
01/10/2006 MOBILE, AL 9485 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:35177474)
01/10/2006 MOBILE, AL Motor Vehicle Dept. SALVAGE
07/06/2007 LA PLACE, LA 9585 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Lien Reported)
07/06/2007 LA PLACE, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:K4126594) (Lien Reported)
07/06/2007 LA PLACE, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
07/06/2007 LA PLACE, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. RECONSTRUCTED
07/06/2007 LA PLACE, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. SALVAGE
07/06/2007 LA PLACE, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. REPORTED AS STORM DAMAGED
08/31/2007 NAPOLEONVILLE, LA 10936 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Lien Reported)
08/31/2007 NAPOLEONVILLE, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:K4211378) (Lien Reported)
08/31/2007 NAPOLEONVILLE, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
08/31/2007 NAPOLEONVILLE, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. RECONSTRUCTED
08/31/2007 NAPOLEONVILLE, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. SALVAGE
08/31/2007 NAPOLEONVILLE, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. REPORTED AS STORM DAMAGED
10/16/2007 LA State Agency LEFT REAR IMPACT WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE (Case #:4965879)
10/16/2007 LA State Agency MODERATE DAMAGE REPORTED
02/08/2008 LIVINGSTON, LA 17454 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE
02/08/2008 LIVINGSTON, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
02/08/2008 LIVINGSTON, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. RECONSTRUCTED
02/08/2008 LIVINGSTON, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. SALVAGE
02/08/2008 LIVINGSTON, LA Motor Vehicle Dept. REPORTED AS STORM DAMAGED

Below are the specific definitions for events that appear in this vehicle's report.
More information is available in the full AutoCheck glossary.

Term Section Location Definition

Major Damage Incident Title and ProblemCheck The vehicle has had a major damage incident reported by an independent source.
Salvage Title and ProblemCheck A salvage vehicle is a vehicle that has been wrecked or damaged beyond repair; declared a total loss by the insurer; or declared a total loss by reason of theft. When an insurance company as a result of a total loss settlement acquires a vehicle, the insurance company must apply for a Salvage Certificate. If the owner retains possession of a salvage vehicle, the owner must obtain a Salvage Certificate before receiving a total loss statement from the insurance company.
Rebuilt/Rebuildable Title and ProblemCheck The vehicle was a salvaged vehicle that was refurbished with new or used parts. An affidavit of repair from the rebuilder or individual making the repairs, stating what repairs were made to the vehicle and that the vehicle is now rebuilt and road operable, may be required to obtain a rebuilt/rebuildable title. These vehicles must also pass a state safety inspection before being allowed back on the road.
Loan/Lien Vehicle Use and EventCheck A loan/lien is the legal right to take and hold or sell the vehicle of a debtor as security or payment for a debt. Normally, a vehicle will have a lien due to a loan or unpaid repair bill against the vehicle.
Storm Area Registration/Title Vehicle Use and EventCheck Storm registration/title refers to information reported to us that a vehicle was registered or titled prior to the storm event in FEMA designated storm damaged area. Storm events can include hurricanes, floods and other natural disasters. While a vehicle may have been reported as titled or registered in an affected area, it may not have been damaged by the storm, or it may have been moved to safety during the storm. We recommend a thorough professional inspection of the vehicle to confirm no storm damage.
Accident Data Vehicle Use and EventCheck Accidents are reported by state agencies, police departments and other sources and varies from state to state. It is recommended to have pre-owned vehicles inspected by a third party prior to purchase.

AutoCheck vehicle history report Terms and Conditions
This report, and any reliance upon it, is subject to AutoCheck Terms and Conditions. If you obtained the report from a dealer, the dealer has been provided with these Terms & Conditions and can share them with you. These AutoCheck Terms and Conditions are also available at any time at www.autocheck.com/consumers/disclaimer.do or by writing to Experian: Experian Automotive C/O AutoCheck Customer Service 955 American Lane Schaumburg IL 60173

AutoCheck Buyback Protection Terms and Conditions
This vehicle (6G2VX12G34L235540) does not quailify for AutoCheck Buyback Protection.

About AutoCheck
AutoCheck vehicle history reports by Experian Automotive is the leading vehicle history reporting service. With expert data handling, the Experian Automotive database houses over 4 billion records on a half a billion vehicles. Every AutoCheck vehicle history report will give you confidence when buying or selling your next used vehicle, with superior customer service every step of the way.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

wow that is cofusen it looks like the salvage begain in 1/10/06 way after the storm and only 100mile on car from 9,485 01/10/2006
9,585 07/06/2007 dont sound right but maybe took awhile for the insurance to handle the claim.