Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What do you guys think of this Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What do you guys think of this Air Compressor

I'm needing an air compressor for home use. I've got two impacts 3/8 and 1/2 as well as a blow gun and die grinder. The die grinder will be most taxing on the compressor I know. The only thing that is hindering me is that the place that I'm at I'll probably be at for a few more years, I'm renting, and I only have access to 110V. I know that Ingersoll Rand makes some of the best Compressors out there and it needs to be quiet because I am not looking to **** off the neighbors, this one is rated at 80dBA which I thought was pretty good. Here's the link... I think for what I'm wanting to do 5.2CFM will probably be enough. I know it's enough for the two impacts and It's right at what the die grinder is spec'd at.

Let's hear some opinions.... Thanks guys.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...5.html#reviews
Old 09-18-2009, 02:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that would work great for what your wanting. I have a Craftsman Pro 25 gallon oilless unit I got for $400 a few years ago and I love it. I can relate to your situation, I have been moving a few times in the last few years so I didn't want to buy a big non portable one.

My craftsman Pro is very quiet, runs my impacts and ratchets great, and has been reliable. The one your looking at has a max psi of 135 and has about 5.5 cfm, but the best part is it has 100% duty cycle (is designed to run continously) with the supplied synthetic oil. It also is designed for 110V so you can run it just about anywhere without worries.

By the way Sears sells that compressor online for $479 and they are in stock according to their site.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Silverado53
I think that would work great for what your wanting. I have a Craftsman Pro 25 gallon oilless unit I got for $400 a few years ago and I love it. I can relate to your situation, I have been moving a few times in the last few years so I didn't want to buy a big non portable one.

My craftsman Pro is very quiet, runs my impacts and ratchets great, and has been reliable. The one your looking at has a max psi of 135 and has about 5.5 cfm, but the best part is it has 100% duty cycle (is designed to run continously) with the supplied synthetic oil. It also is designed for 110V so you can run it just about anywhere without worries.

By the way Sears sells that compressor online for $479 and they are in stock according to their site.

Hey thanks for the heads up man about Sears selling the same unit!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Launching!

No problem, I would have posted a link but I don't know how to do that yet. Let me know what you decide on. I like the portable ones like that because even when you upgrade you can use it where others wont go, like your backyard if you want to build a deck or shed.

Also the die grinder should work fine with that one, the compressor might kick on more often but with the 100% duty cycle you'll be fine. I'm going to find out how mine works with a die grinder in the next few weeks, I'm sure it'll get the job done.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I have a Sears oil-less direct drive 30 gal compressor and it's loud as hell, I like the belt drives so much better. It cycles a lot when I'm really on a roll but stays strong most of the time. IR makes great stuff, not sure if 20 gal would be enough reserve for me though.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

I found that a surprising amount of the noise of a compressor is the air intake. I ran a PVC pipe up through the ceiling of my shop and placed an air cleaner on it. (off my Harley). I did it to get the intake out of the fumes and dust of my shop but really benefited from the reduction in noise.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

When I used a small compressor, I ran a T to an old 100lb propane tank. You will run most accessories through a regulator. If your accessory uses more CFM than the capacity of your compressor, the additional storage will give you a lot more time before you run low on pressure.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Buckndol
When I used a small compressor, I ran a T to an old 100lb propane tank. You will run most accessories through a regulator. If your accessory uses more CFM than the capacity of your compressor, the additional storage will give you a lot more time before you run low on pressure.
Pretty cool idea.

I think that compressor would be good.

I've always wanted to try making an air compressor out of two gasoline engines: one running V8 hooked to a non running V8 that just compresses air. How cool would that be? I bet it would create some mega CFM too!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

NT as it for $499.99, and right now shipping is free!
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5221_200375221
Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm thinking about buying this one:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/a...ressor-3310006

Seems like a really good deal, plus my boss got a 10% off any item coupon in the mail today that is good to the end of the month and gave it to me, so it would only be $360. I thought that when I looked at this one in the store that the motor could be wired for either 120v or 220v, but came connected for 220v, but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of this Air Compressor