Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

want to weld my own exhaust HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 03:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default want to weld my own exhaust HELP!

i want to weld up a cutout and a 4inch to 3in reducer, and a flange to be able to remove my exhaust. The problem is that the y pipe is stainless and the cut out is mild steel(aluminized?). What type of macnine do i need? i been searching like crazy and am still very confused. will a 300-400 welder from home depot work? i wont use it for much more then exhaust work or maybe sfc later on so i dont wanna send a fortune on something i will barely use. Is wife fed mig what im needing and does it need to be able to use gas or is that not needed for such small projects. thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can weld mild steel to SS, i have seen it does before, and it seems to work but the weld on the SS will not be SS. Its very hard to weld SS with a mig welder.
If it's one weld - i suggest taking the parts over to a shop.

Also wire wheel off the Al coating on the mild steel.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

they will go together no problem with steel wire.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I have to TIG weld stainless steel to A36 mild steel I use 308 filler. I am pretty sure the mild steel wire won't give you any trouble. If you don't have much welding expierence it may be cheaper to take it somewhere and have it done instead of buying the welder and doing it yourself.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Agreed on taking it somewhere, also, why not get a stainless cutout?
Old 04-11-2010, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

thanks guys. i just wanna try some thing new, learn a new skill.lol. i dont wanna spend 100 bucks on a stainless cutout or 50 bucks on stainless reducers or flanges it adds up quick and ive spent enought on new headers and y pipe.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dr6384
When I have to TIG weld stainless steel to A36 mild steel I use 308 filler. I am pretty sure the mild steel wire won't give you any trouble. If you don't have much welding expierence it may be cheaper to take it somewhere and have it done instead of buying the welder and doing it yourself.
308 will probably work, but 309 is the correct filler to weld stainless to carbon steel.

I would recommend taking it to a shop to have it welded if you don't feel like you will ever use the machine again. Exhaust is very easy to weld, but you can make a mess of it if it is your first time ever welding.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99345hp
308 will probably work, but 309 is the correct filler to weld stainless to carbon steel.

I would recommend taking it to a shop to have it welded if you don't feel like you will ever use the machine again. Exhaust is very easy to weld, but you can make a mess of it if it is your first time ever welding.
dont get me wrong i wanna learn to weld and will use it more than just for exhaust. i figured i could practice on my old y pipe that i will be cutting out. ive probable spent enough at the muffler shop to have already buy a welder.lol. Im a quick learner and have a buddy i can call for help if needed. i dont mind if it looks bad as long as it works and gets it done. thx
Old 04-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Teching In

309L is the correct filler metal like mentioned above. I've welded with 309 wire as well as 309 rods, and they work great. I say go for it, how else are you goin to learn? Sure you could just pay someone else to do it, but what's the fun in that?
Old 04-11-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

for all intents and purposes, most steel filler metals will work since it's only exhaust pipe, but you do want to use 309. Y-pipes and SFC's are not good things to learn on. get some scrap metal and practice on that
Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thebird_19
309L is the correct filler metal like mentioned above. I've welded with 309 wire as well as 309 rods, and they work great. I say go for it, how else are you goin to learn? Sure you could just pay someone else to do it, but what's the fun in that?
there is no fun in that.lol thanks guys any sites to get learning tricks for beginners.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Looked in the shop. It is 309. Never pay it much attention. I have had a 10 lb box of it for around 4 years now and it is still almost full. Almost everything I do is 316. I rarely do any mild and don't do much mild to stainless at all. I have used some inconel on a job site for stainless catch pans. It wasn't the best use of a really expensive filler but it had to finish. A good rule of thumb is that you can go up to the next grade of stainless and even the high nickel alloys if you run out of the desired filler.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
for all intents and purposes, most steel filler metals will work since it's only exhaust pipe, but you do want to use 309. Y-pipes and SFC's are not good things to learn on. get some scrap metal and practice on that
definatly wont try to learn on my new y pipe.lol start with scrap metal and old y pipe set up.thx.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
for sure, you can weld the two pieces together with any mild steel or stainless wire. I was just saying what was the "correct" filler. Definitely use your old y-pipe to practice on. After you get used to welding together tight fit joints you might as well practice on some not so good fit ups. Leave a gap in the pipe and try and get good at welding it together. If you dont have much experience fitting up exhaust (or even if you do), you will end up with little gaps here and there.

I do alot of the exhaust work in our shop, and I always do all the finish welding on the nicer jobs and I have filled some nice sized gaps in exhaust pipe that others have fit up.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

just use flux cored wire and you'll be fine. I weld for a living and I just did my car put a cutout on welded up to my slp stainless exhaust worked awesome and looks fine just spray some high heat paint to prevent rust. you will need a welder that puts out at least 120 amps to weld home depot has a 3200hd lincoln welder witch I have used in the past and is great for welding up to even 5/16 i.e. your sfc later on. good luck
Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

stainless is the same thing as carbon, exept its got chromium and nickle to prevent it from rusting. for exhaust you will be fine.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

thanks guys really good info. I look forward to learning to weld.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

good luck and BE PATIENT while you're learning
Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^ just like he said, be patient. You wont be able to just pick up the welder, run home, and start laying down perfect beads. Just practice and you'll be ok.

If your having problems, take pictures of your welds and im sure there are a couple of us on here that can help you out. Once you get used to mig welding you will be able to go by the sound if the machine is set up right. I can work next to someone that is mig welding and tell them if there machine isn't right and how to fix it just by hearing the way it is welding.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
... Its very hard to weld SS with a mig welder.
If you can learn with 309 on a MIG welder, you should go pro. It's the most difficult metal to control that I have ever used. There is a very small window of heat and speed to get it right. Too slow or too hot and the filler gets runny like gear oil or honey. In comparison, the easiest fillers are like laying a bead of silicone from a caulk gun.
Also, the cheaper the welder, the harder it is to learn on. The less you spend on a welder, the less range of material that they will work well with. If a cheap welder says that it is good for 3/16" steel, that is just what they mean. It works good near its max rating, but you lose fine control when you go thinner. It sounds contradictory, but the more expensive welders generally have better operating systems, and they have better low amperage control, and are easier to weld thin metal with.
I'm not trying to discourage you, the moral of my story is that you should practice, practice, practice, on the same material that you are going to make your exhaust from.

Quick Reply: want to weld my own exhaust HELP!