Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

MAC Gearless Ratchet

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Default MAC Gearless Ratchet

Anyone get a chance to try out this new MAC ratchet? They say zero degree movement.

https://mactools.com/ProductImages/xr8paz_p.jpg
Old 01-07-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so no clicks? nothing? hrmmm cool... I hate having a ratchet in a tight spot where it wont move much and hardly engage.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

That is how it is suppoesed to work. Here is a link to the page about it.

https://mactools.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNum=XR8PAZ
Old 01-07-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't actually used one but I've played with them on the tooltrucks. They're pretty nice and they really are 0 degree movement. They use a sprag setup similar to what's in an automatic transmission. My only complaint about them is their bulk. Yeah the heavy duty beam and comfort handle are nice, but a 0 degree ratchet is really going to shine in a confined area. With the bulkiness of that ratchet it won't FIT into a confided area. Kind of paradoxial if you ask me.

In all honesty they are nothing new. Astro Pneumatic has 2 ratchets (3/8 and 1/4) that are of that variety, but super stubby and with low profile heads. I got them both Mac also sold a palm style ratchet probably 20 years ago that used a sprag mechanism. I don't know of any other companies making ratchets like that currently though, at least not in a regular size handle.

I've grown really fond of my SK fine tooth ratchets in the last year since I've had them. The heads are a little bulky but they are super fine tooth, have a smooth light action, and very affordable.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

nice info there pete.

off the subject in a way, but did any of you click on the jesse james tools? I noticed mac has long patern gear wrenchs. snap on's version dont seem that long, craftsmen profesional are more expensive than the snap on...

mac's online store is pretty weak, compared to snap on's, but hell most of the sales are off of a truck... but dont the truck guys mark the price up???
Old 01-07-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, my dad has a real nice SK 3/8" ratchet that has that fine teeth.
Awesome!
Old 01-07-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brandon
nice info there pete.

off the subject in a way, but did any of you click on the jesse james tools? I noticed mac has long patern gear wrenchs. snap on's version dont seem that long, craftsmen profesional are more expensive than the snap on...

mac's online store is pretty weak, compared to snap on's, but hell most of the sales are off of a truck... but dont the truck guys mark the price up???
Truck prices are ultimately set by the vendors, yes. But Mac does print and distribute MSRP price sheets, and prices are ALWAYS negotiable.

The JJ tools aren't "real" Mac tools far as I can tell (I've seen them on the truck) and they only have a 1 year warranty (for availability purposes, obviously). They are really nice though, and I don't doubt they are of high quality. For the most part they are sold as novelty or collectable sets. I guess if someone had a JJ bike they did their own maintenance on, it would be a really cool set to have and actually use though.

As for the gear wrenches I can't really help you. I like my Matco's but I paid pretty good ($160 I believe) for the 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 17mm set. I've had to warranty one but I really abused that beyond what I ever should have so I can't complain. The Craftsman ones are nice but IMO the handles are too thin and uncomfortable to use.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Launching!

I have 2 Snap-on and 2 SK 1/4" ratchets.. I hardly ever use the Snap-on ones.. SK 1/4" ratchets are the best around.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

i found the mac onsite, (noticed a page # hidden almost at the bottom)
now to decide between them and snap on.... depends on the price i guess, and how the handles are....

i like that mac has flex ratching wrenchs... but i doubt id spend the money on them before regular wrenchs...

I dont want the JJ tools, I want long pattern gear wrenchs... I cant stand all of the OCC and WCC crap all over the place.... (now if the price was right and had a waruntee like the others....) I do like the black finish though...

Quick Reply: MAC Gearless Ratchet