Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Bent Frame..... Repair it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bent Frame..... Repair it?

So I started stripping down my camaro, looking for all the rust so I could repair it. I also figured I would find some prior collision damage since the inner fenders were different colors under the primer paint. The main beam of the unibody has been bent and pulled back out just forward of the fire wall, with plenty of welds on the outer part......

I figure this just gives me an excuse to cut it all out and put a tube frame up front. I do aircraft structure repair for a living, so I'm pretty comfortable with fabrication. I just haven't done anything this involved on a car before and was hoping for afew suggestions on specific things to watch for before I get started. Here's the kit I was thinking of using, and afew quick pictures of the problem area.

http://www.cachassisworks.com/p-535-...x-2-frame.aspx

Last edited by turbinesurgeon; 09-13-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

cut it all out and go 25.2 specs tube chassis
Beaudacious
Old 09-14-2011, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Pulled the AC box out of the way today, and got a real good picture of the wrinkle from the bend. I think a full cage would be over-kill since I want to be able to drive it as well.

Perhaps I could get a basic 4 point roll cage, and tie it to the front with an extra bar that bends down for the door then back up at the dash.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Id get a better chassis before going through the trouble of rust/collision repair on a car so new
Old 09-25-2011, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pocket
Id get a better chassis before going through the trouble of rust/collision repair on a car so new
Naw, I think I'm gonna go ahead with this one. I want to build something unique instead of a typical 4th gen. The rust and damage is just my excuse to go as wild as I want with the chassis and drive train.

A year ago I was doing alot of research into putting AWD into a car that didn't have it with an LS V-8 to boot. This car would be a good car to start with since it needs alot of fab work on the floor and up front anyway.

This is going to be a long-term project
Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm, im kinda ready to see it finished with the awd an how you do it, Goodluck
Old 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing I would do is find a reputable body shop and have them throw it onto a rack and measure the thing, see how bad it is; and possibly put it straight again. That looks to be one hell of a hack job and you maybe starting with a twisted POS at this point that unless you straighten out won't drive properly.

I have a lot of family in that business, and wrinkles like that is a complete HACK job. That panel should have been cut/replaced after being pulled straight. I'm almost willing to bet $$ that the car isn't straight.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as cheap as good rollers are and your not wanting a race car buy a roller its alot cheaper and i mean alot i have done this a few times if you need any advice on fixing it pm me i just did an 2001 ss earlier this year with 66k and loss my *** when i was done its way cheaper to buy than build

Quick Reply: Bent Frame..... Repair it?