Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Want to Learn to Make Fiberglass/Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to Learn to Make Fiberglass/Carbon Fiber

So, maybe I make a career out of this, a little side money, or just some **** for myself, idc either way but I want to learn to make my own fiberglass parts. I would love to learn to make my own parts such as hoods, fenders, or anything else I might fancy. I have done a little research and it seems to be a fairly easy process to learn. Not to belittle anyone here that makes fiberglass. I could be completely wrong. It could be much more difficult than I imagine.
Anyways, I was just wondering whats a good way to go about learning this. Is there a school or a tech program you guys went to? Or did you just order some of these kits and just go the trial and error route? I would also like to learn to do carbon fiber as well. It seems the two processes are very similar. Any of you guys that do this have any input? Difficulty level? Time it takes to learn? Expense to get started? Etc etc etc. Thanks in advanced.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Go work at a body shop or a place that makes custom speaker enclosures. That's how I learned.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

if you want to be a full fledged carbon fiber and composite builder as well as have the ability to make your own molds, you will need no less than 30000 in supplies. this doesnt include vacuum bagging equipment or lay up tools or facility.
if you just want to build parts here and there for your self you can get away with just buying the materials as you go but dont try to make money doing this as it will nickel and dime you to death
ive been doing composite work for about 5 years now and i am just on the verge of doing this as a full business along side my race car chassis shop(they kinda go hand in hand)
As for learning I learned from the best (Joe VanOverbeek RaceCar Bodies)
i dont know if this will help at all but ya PM me if you need any other tips to get started
Beaudacious
Old 10-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quality responses guys. This stuff just really interests me. I mean with that skill and metal fabrication skills as well, you literally can make just about anything. I know it won't happen over night, but I gotta start somewhere.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up watching 3 different vids on Youtube after you asked this. FANTASTIC source for info on the cheap and professional!

I have no idea what this was (kinda looked like a sink - but doesn't make sense) but this was very professionally made and showed individual steps, prep and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOo8gxp3K3w

Good luck
Old 10-09-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Go work at a body shop or a place that makes custom speaker enclosures. That's how I learned.
a serious boat shop will probably do more composite work. Small/private aircraft repair, truck body... depends on what's around you.

It also depends on the level that you really want to be proficient at. You can do a lot just jumping in and making some simple parts for yourself. Time, motivation and half a brain can go a long way.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think making simple stuff from fiberglass is pretty easy. It just takes some time, planning and patience to get it right but I've done it a while. Making stuff and having it come out pretty on your first go is another level entirely.

Just be prepared to make a huge mess.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I enjoyed that vid, gonna go look up carbo fiber tutorials

Quick Reply: Want to Learn to Make Fiberglass/Carbon Fiber