Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Starting a mechanics tool collection...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a mechanics tool collection...

Well, Harbor Freight is having a parking lot sale and I figure it's time to start building a mechanics tool set collection. I have some basic house tools (Sawz-all, cordless 18v drill, corded impact drill, miter saw, orbital sander) but lack anything vehicle related other than a 2.5ton jack and stands.

My goal really is to start learning how to work on cars. I bought a couple recommended books in the stickies I am going to attempt my first ever plug/wire swap and fuel filter replacement this weekend! From there, I hope to attempt to repair my leaking stock PS cooler by replacing it with an aftermarket cooler and someday to work on my own exhaust, brakes and basic bolt ons. I'm thinking about picking up some metric sockets, a variety of needle nose pliers, a breaker bar, and a dremel type tool. What else do you all recommend to get me started? As much as I'd love to spend the cash on Snap-on or Craftsman I want to first prove to myself that I'll use the tools...

Thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont waste your money on the snap-on sockets and such... the only snap-on tools i feel that i need is the ratchets... I have a set of harbor freight Sockets... the 3/8ths drive color coded metric and standard short and deep... i hook them up to a 3/8-1/2 adapter and use my sanp on impact... In 3 years i finally broke one socket... 13 mm... the most common size ever lol... But thats 3 years of 350-1000 ft lbs of impact to them...

And im not saying every once and while... i mean every dayyyyy (I am a mechanic)

A good set of wrenchs come in handy to...
Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

I would pick up a set of both american and metric sockets. If you're not wanting to buy a lot maybe you would be better off getting deep well sockets. You can use those most of the time you can use a regular depth socket but if you need a deep well there's no way you can use a regular socket on it. I would recommend a long handled flex head ratchet for the same reason. As far as cheap ratchets go I actually like the Stanley ratchets over the hf ones, but I still love my Snap On and Blackhawk ratchets . I would get a full set of combination wrenches (american and metric) and a full set of all types of pliers and screwdrivers. Honestly at HF you can usually buy a complete set of things for not much more than buying them seperate. For example I needed a 3 jaw puller- an 8 inch puller was $18. A set of 3", 4", 6", and 8" pullers was $25 so I just bought all of them lol. You might want to look at the complete starter kits they sell in a box- it may be a cheaper option to start with. Don't forget your 20% off coupon and free flashlight/screwdrivers/tape measure/multimeter coupon! lol
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Launching!

^^ IIRC stanley is made by the same people that make MAC tools... hence why the MAC wrenches look identical to the Kobalt stuff
Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get their roller base tool box for $360-380.get a bench grinder and a 4" hand grinder.get some different size swivels or swivel sockets and wobble extensions.you need a long breaker and pry bar.a electric impact gun is nice ,and consider some tap and dies.get a good vice.too much to list.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

If you are going to do a fuel filter replacement, it wouldn't hurt to purchase a set of flare nut wrenches. HF sells both metric and SAE for cheap. You can build up a pretty impressive set of tools from there for a minimal investment. When I started off as a mechanic, HF wasn't as big then. However, I loaded up on as much Craftsman, Lisle, and Husky tools I could get my hands on. As the years went by and I became more comitted to the industry, I upgraded to Snap On and Matco brand items.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Check Craigslist and Yard sales. You can come up on some old MADE in USA tools for cheap, cheaper than Harbor Freight.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went to HF this morning and was pretty sad their parking lot sale is nothing more than 8-10 things out on the sidewalk, but none the less got some great deals. There were a number of other items on my list, but I had to remind myself it's a process, can't get everything at once.

Kicked it off with the 301 piece mechanic set which seemed solid for $149, 4 1/2 grinder, oscillating multfunction tool, 1/2' electric impact wrench, 3/8' deep sockets metric and sae, standard 3/8' metric set, some extra adapters, and some other little things.
Attached Thumbnails Starting a mechanics tool collection...-tools.jpg  
Old 08-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Harbor Freight tools are cool they will get the job done as far as the 3/4 drive impact sockets that I use.... But if your just going to use them on your projects at home then go for it, but if it's for a living then I'd suggest getting more of quality brand. I have snap-on tools at home and I'm provided a snap-on tool box at my job (US Army) and working with those tools is amazing, but some of the prices on snap-on tools are ridiculous.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look at their obd 2 scanner for $100 on sale .
Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by garygnu
look at their obd 2 scanner for $100 on sale .
In leymen's terms, what is the difference between the OBD II/EOBD Multilingual Code Scanner ($89.99) and CAN OBD II Code Reader/ EOBD Scanner ($119.99)? It appears to be just computer compatibility

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...=obd+2+scanner

Last edited by cdgreg; 08-25-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Starting a mechanics tool collection...