Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

trans am w/ side pipes possible

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trans am w/ side pipes possible

ok before you just jump in and post, i want people to understand i dont want your input on if itll look good or not and i dont want the negative opinions.

this thread is about how to do them not advantages and disadvantages.

i want to cut my rockers out, i want to take the first 12-16inches of the side skirts and cut the rest off to hide the bend of the side pipe on each side. reasons are with a side skirt covering, itll look more modern than the retro look that side pipes give. my main concern is the clearance under the frame. i want anyone who wants the give their positive feedback to post and let me know ideas on how to run them, i considered cutting my floor a bit and welding a tube in the frame after cutting the diameter and having the exhaust bolt to the frame and such. is that possible? if i do that i wont have to worry about clearance because itll be tucked up and the pipes will be replacing my rockers.... this will let me have my duals and my twin turbos done right.

if you want to input whether you like it or not, im looking for constructive ideas of why or why it wont work not about what you think of my idea.

im thinking i need 2.5-3 inch exhaust and such. remember i running turbos so the exhaust probably needs to come from up front to do this.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think ground clearance is going to be a huge issue unless you notch the frame and/or floorboard.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

I think that you have a great idea — I've always loved side pipes on cars. Plus, it would certainly make your car unique.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd invest my time in talking to one or more professionals at area muffler shops and get some opinions and insight that way.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Launching!

I love the idea too and have thought about it... But the floor pan to rocker/frame orientation make it a ton of work.

I would like to see someone try this...
Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive seen it done on a lt1 style camaro. also had a breather sticking out of the hood, looked crazy then he started it and i realized it was a v6 and laughed all the way back to my car lol. but its doable for sure
Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

been talked about but years ago. it is possible. dr.gas exhuast
Old 08-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hardbones
I think ground clearance is going to be a huge issue unless you notch the frame and/or floorboard.
this i believe is the only way to get it done without causing any problems. i will do this i just need to get out of this **** hole apartment and into a place that has usable garage.

im thinking that the entire bottom of the car needs to be looked at. if i run my turbos up front i think i can make a symmetrical setup running parallel with the frame untill after the wheel wells when i can notch through to the rockers...

im only wondering about heat to my floorboards... anyone have any ideas for that? i would like to put a channel in my floor to get the exhaust away from the ground. but i dont want the exhaust cooking my carpet.... exhaust wrap?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28RS
I think that you have a great idea — I've always loved side pipes on cars. Plus, it would certainly make your car unique.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd invest my time in talking to one or more professionals at area muffler shops and get some opinions and insight that way.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I love the idea too and have thought about it... But the floor pan to rocker/frame orientation make it a ton of work.

I would like to see someone try this...
well it will be gettin attacked this winter for sure. if i find a place sooner then there we go on it.

ive been getting a lot of hate from some guys on facebook. theyre all saying ill be destroying the car by doin this. but forget them, when the cars up and running, they can talk all their crap with theyre mint ws6 car with headers and an cai. i will cream them on the street haha
Old 09-05-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've thought about this a lot... I don't have the side skirts so I don't have to worry about those.

My plan if I ever do it, is cut off the seam weld, then reinforce with plate steel. Make a custom set of Boom-Tubes instead of true side pipes; roughly 1.25-1.5" tall and 9-12" long with radius'd ends; those exiting right in front of the rear tire.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've thought, off and on, about making sidepipes
using box stock, several in parallel, to make the
pipes low-profile (like, say, (4) 1.5x1.5" box tubes,
maybe aluminum or thin-wall stainless. If you're
artful enough maybe it would actually look good.
Maybe drill some cross-holes all the away along
the butted parallel length to make muffling acoustic
action. Transitioning from the header to this, clean,
is probably the main performance challenge.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Instead of running your typical round pipe, run a oval pipe. This will give you the 3"+ you need, but with more clearance.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Here is my thread to see how it looks keeping the side skirts altoho the skirts are cut and the pipes are tucked into them I still have 6 inches of clearance with 3 inch pipes

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...491&styleid=27
Old 07-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

i like that. and as fa as the oval idea goes, i think that may be the way to do it legit. now does anyone know where to get it haha? another thought is to remove the rocker, tuck it in there but also have the pies bent to the bottom curve of the original rocker. i have a formula so no side skirts to be worried about here.

Quick Reply: trans am w/ side pipes possible