Post pics of your garage / shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Garage Before

After

Epoxy Coated the Floor

Last edited by HartsG8GT; 12-18-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got my garage set up....I'll get better pics up soon...

-60 Gal Proter Cable, 7 HP, 220 volt
-entire shop plumbed for air, 5 air hookups

Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Teching In

The garage has taken a long time to get here. This year has been pretty good though.
Here's a pic of the garage about a year ago...

Started getting the vapor barrier up. It's a pain getting anything done in a garage full of stuff.

Started sheeting with 1/2" plywood.

My brother getting a hand from my 3 year old...

Got all the sheeting done and caulked the joints with silicone.

Had to take a break over Christmas to pull my new motor for my '66.

My wife painted the whole garage for me. She had help from my daughters too.

As the garage sits now. Lots left to do. Finish the bench, trim doors and windows, hang posters and signs, bought all the copper last time I was home to run airlines, build shelves above the compressor room, etc...

Old 04-07-2011, 04:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Garage if full

24X24 garage along with other tools not much more room lol
Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your garage / shop-005.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Notch1988......save yourself the money and run the airlines with 3/4 inch PVC, schedule 40. Use regular PVC primer/clue for the joints, and it will 100% be able to support high pressure from even a 2-3 stage air compressor....I promise. I have maybe $75 in all the lines in my garage. It is $.139 per foot at Home Depot.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
Notch1988......save yourself the money and run the airlines with 3/4 inch PVC, schedule 40. Use regular PVC primer/clue for the joints, and it will 100% be able to support high pressure from even a 2-3 stage air compressor....I promise. I have maybe $75 in all the lines in my garage. It is $.139 per foot at Home Depot.
Terrible advice as pvc degrades from oil, light, and vibration.

Pex tubing on the other hand will last a long time and will not shatter like pvc, it's probably cheaper too, and alot faster to run. It's rated to 150 psi working pressure.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Yea...terrible advice...considering my dad has owned and operated one of the most successful shops in our area, for 20 years, on the same 3/4 PVC shedule 40 pipes, without a single problem. As long as you have valves to release the moisture and water, which I do, its perfectly fine and cost effective, especially for a do it yourselfer who has a shop at their house to just mess around in.

And FYI...schedule 40 PVC in 3/4 is rated a 300 psi operating pressure. As long as the joints are glued nicely, it IS fine! Just tryin to save the fella some money....people these days go way overkill for no ******* reason at all, other than to point and brag about what they have, when they really don't need it lol.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

my two-car auto-themed playroom
Attached Thumbnails Post pics of your garage / shop-g11.jpg  
Old 04-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Teching In

our 15 car warehouse, may not be the cleanest but gets the job done...

Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
Yea...terrible advice...considering my dad has owned and operated one of the most successful shops in our area, for 20 years, on the same 3/4 PVC shedule 40 pipes, without a single problem. As long as you have valves to release the moisture and water, which I do, its perfectly fine and cost effective, especially for a do it yourselfer who has a shop at their house to just mess around in.

And FYI...schedule 40 PVC in 3/4 is rated a 300 psi operating pressure. As long as the joints are glued nicely, it IS fine! Just tryin to save the fella some money....people these days go way overkill for no ******* reason at all, other than to point and brag about what they have, when they really don't need it lol.

Please do yourself a favor and read this:
http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Are you a polymer chemist by chance? Just asking to get a basis of where your knowlege base is.

I hope for your Dad's sake, none of any of the employees working around those pvc lines get hurt.

In a home garage, the difference between using pvc and copper or even PEX is less than $100. Is $100 worth your well being or safety? You tell me.

The problem with PVC is over time and exposure to uv rays, it becomes very brittle. Sure, it'll hold 300psi when new, but the shockwave of pressure that goes through a line when valves open and close is tough on them over time. Guess what happens to those brittle lines when something hits it by accidnet? Plastic shrapnel is what happens.

Don't be cheap, put your safety and your families safety first and either use PEX or copper lines.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:23 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Oh, and I hope your Dad is comfortable with putting his employees at risk as well as his business. Despite no-one getting hurt, he's violating OSHA laws, so if you would be so kind, could you give me a name and address of said business? Just curious.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

It's also against OSHA regulations to allow customers in working areas...who follows that? The name and address of his business is none of your ******* business. He's done just fine with OSHA for 20 years
Old 04-08-2011, 01:22 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Fine Kyle, just stop giving unsafe and illegal advice and stick to whatever it is you do best.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Please do yourself a favor and read this:
http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Are you a polymer chemist by chance? Just asking to get a basis of where your knowlege base is.

I hope for your Dad's sake, none of any of the employees working around those pvc lines get hurt.

In a home garage, the difference between using pvc and copper or even PEX is less than $100. Is $100 worth your well being or safety? You tell me.

The problem with PVC is over time and exposure to uv rays, it becomes very brittle. Sure, it'll hold 300psi when new, but the shockwave of pressure that goes through a line when valves open and close is tough on them over time. Guess what happens to those brittle lines when something hits it by accidnet? Plastic shrapnel is what happens.

Don't be cheap, put your safety and your families safety first and either use PEX or copper lines.
Ive seen it done, but there is no chance in hell I would ever allow it.

Look on your compressor tank - you should see a "U" or "UM" stamped into the name plate. It is there for a reason. It is basicly a statement that the compressor tank was designed and built to ASME code (Sect. VIII Div 1). Meaning it is designed so it wont blow up.

In Delaware we must register all pressure vessels (commercial not residential) and they are inspected regularly by the Division of Boiler Safety. It is a violation to plumb any airline that doesnt meet or exceed ANSI/ASME specs.

The fact is due to the compressibility of gases any rupture in a gas pressure vessel is more likey to fragment the vessel.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

I will be moving to a new house in a couple months and it has a very nice four stall plus garage with the back section double high for campers but i have no camper nor probably never will So a few questions for some of you experience garage builders. I would like to put a lift in the larger stall (preferably used due to budget) and apoxy the floor. It's already insulated, and drywalled in most places and I would also like to install a bigger drain in one of the front stalls so that I can make a washbay out of that stall. So How much should I expect to pay for these things if i can install them all myself. Also what else should I have to do to my washbay stall to make it full functional for a long time?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Got more done today...finished the lose ends on the air system and put in a countertop and sink. Also added all the side lighting in my detail bay. Finally got the pull the toys back in!

Last edited by kyles2000z; 04-10-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep PVC lines used here, painted plenty of cars, bikes and other parts in the garage.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 AM
10 Second Club

Speaking from personal experience, having had pvc shards slice my legs when a line exploded, I would never use pvc for plumbing air lines. You could use it and I know plenty that have but if a line let go and one of my children lost an eye or was injured I wouldn't feel justified in my savings.

If you are determined to use pvc at least make the point of connection from rigid pipe and clamp it down tightly so the pvc can't be put in a bind from the hose being pulled. Something as simple as someone stepping on or tripping over a hose can break the pvc.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
Speaking from personal experience, having had pvc shards slice my legs when a line exploded, I would never use pvc for plumbing air lines. You could use it and I know plenty that have but if a line let go and one of my children lost an eye or was injured I wouldn't feel justified in my savings.

If you are determined to use pvc at least make the point of connection from rigid pipe and clamp it down tightly so the pvc can't be put in a bind from the hose being pulled. Something as simple as someone stepping on or tripping over a hose can break the pvc.
Also, if you are having to replace cracked pvc lines or old material that isnt safe to run pressure thru due to use-over-time, then its silly to think of it as saving money when you will have to spend more $ and time to replace the lines when needed as oppose to doing it right the first time with something that wont break down so easily. NEW pvc isnt too bad as it had some elasticity to it but once that pvc sits thru a few summer/winters, esp temperature changes, it will become brittle and after experiencing how easy it is to crack old pvc, I'd choose a diff route for the air IMO.

Some of these garages make me go thinking about all the bullshit ive gone thru doing work on my back or in nasty conditions when it would have been a breeze with the machinery some of u have available, bastards!
I guess I should be thankful tho for what I do have as its much more than some of these other spaces you guys are working in.
But damn, having two lifts or even one for that matter would be ****!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
Poor lonely pepsi on that bottom shelf there surrounded by enough booze to get a catholic cheerleading squad naked...

Quick Reply: Post pics of your garage / shop