Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Roll Cage Design

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Cage Design

Does anyone have a good roll cage design or know where i could find one. I will be making a roll cage out of chrome moly. Taking the back seat out isn't a problem. But I would like to keep all other interior parts in if possible. Thankz for any input.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start taking measurements and start cutting
Old 11-23-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Check out WOLFE RACECRAFT and get some measurements.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Launching!

They have a 20% off holiday sale going on now too! You can get the cage you want and save some coin! Not a bad deal!

Wolfe 20% sale.......................
Old 11-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the link to that website, lots of useful pics on it. But i will be building the roll cage myself. That is why I was trying to get some blueprints. Much easier than jus goin at it with a measuring tape and a welder
Old 11-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Launching!

You're Welcome! Do you already have a bender and a notcher?

You could probably make a template out of some 1"-2" pvc pipe, so you can sort of get your bend angles down before putting it on some pipe. Tubing (especially chrome moly) isn't cheap.

Good Luck and Please post up some pics as you go!

Take Care
Old 11-24-2006, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey Crizzle
thanks for the link to that website, lots of useful pics on it. But i will be building the roll cage myself. That is why I was trying to get some blueprints. Much easier than jus goin at it with a measuring tape and a welder
Most shops are going to be hesitant to post that info up. Besides, measuring is 1/2 the fun.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Launching!

.........and the other half is welding it!

It's a Great feeling, when you're finished and you stand back and look at your job, and just smile and think to yourself..............I did that!

I was a Nuclear Cerified Welder and I got that way after every job. It's Very satisfying work! Once again, Good Luck to you!
Old 11-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Im a student at Wyotech and I get a FAT discount on chrome moly. So I figured why not throw a roll cage in it. I'm runnin stock right now but in the future she's gonna be stroked n turboed. Estimated roll cage cost $150...so why not??
Old 11-24-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mikey Crizzle
Good luck getting prints on a cage. I dont know why someone would get you a copy unless you paid for them. Just look at pictures of routing and run the tube yourself. If you cant figure out dimensions and angles on your own, dont even try it.

Brandon
Old 11-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Getting the bends nice and tight will be the biggest challenge to get a nice tight fit to the headliner. Just take your time and you'll be fine.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:21 AM
7 Second Club

Most times when you bend pipe for the first time, especially the main hoop, youll have scrap. Bending metal and figuring how much steel or moly stretches is the biggest challange. And trying to get the main hoop uniform on both sides is yet another challange. Im not saying dont give it a try, im just saying be prepared to NOT get a final piece that looks the same as a company thats been building and bending pipe for cars for a long time. Its definetly harder than you think to get it right, and ive been bending pipe for awhile.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not meaning to hijack but... I've been wanting to learn to weld for forever. Lately I've been thinking that building my own bar (nobody really wants to build bars for PITA ragtops, but I'm motivated) would be a good starter project. Lots of scrap doesn't scare me. Any observations on how stupid that is for a first timer?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ToplessTexan
Not meaning to hijack but... I've been wanting to learn to weld for forever. Lately I've been thinking that building my own bar (nobody really wants to build bars for PITA ragtops, but I'm motivated) would be a good starter project. Lots of scrap doesn't scare me. Any observations on how stupid that is for a first timer?

Thanks!

Its not stupid to want to do something, and obviously you realize it is going to be difficult. However, if you do not have a tube bender, its no really possible by yourself. I can help you with the welding part (or weld it in for you). You are going to need to get with Wolfe or someone local to get you the bends done. I am going to buy another bender for my shop in a month or two, but dont have one yet.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ToplessTexan

Thanks!
Get your welder and a lot of scrap. Then practice, practice, practice. Then when you think you have it down... practice some more. I wouldn't suggest a roll bar being your first welding project. The roll bar is a piece of safety equipment. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Maybe start out with making a bench grinder stand or a shop stool. Don't start out on something that you may need to save your life...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:41 AM
...with cheese.

Practice makes perfect. I'd never welded in my life and my first welder was a Miller Syncrowave 180 TIG. I'm in some classes now, more gas theory right now but I'm hoping I'll be able to build whatever I want soon enough.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002blackZ
Get your welder and a lot of scrap. Then practice, practice, practice. Then when you think you have it down... practice some more. I wouldn't suggest a roll bar being your first welding project. The roll bar is a piece of safety equipment. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Maybe start out with making a bench grinder stand or a shop stool. Don't start out on something that you may need to save your life...
Obviously someone that doesnt know what they are doing couldnt produce something worthy of going in a car, much less be all that safe. If they are supervised and helped however, a roll bar is not a big deal.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got an S&W kit for my car, there cheep and the main hoop is bent to fit, thats the worst bar to bend, I did the rest at my friends shop that has a bender, just remember when you put the plate on the drivers floor there are fuel lines under there, I seen a lot of stories of people burning up cars welding that plate in there.

every car is diffrent and each cage has to be set up to the driver to be legal for NHRA, the side bar has to be between you shoulder and elbow, so depending on where you put your seat and how tall you are that changes everything, wolf cages arnt really legal with the low slung bars if tech wants to be picky.
here are some pics of how I did mine

Old 12-12-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Clean ride and nice bar, it would look so much better with black or grey padding though, IMO of course.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Obviously someone that doesnt know what they are doing couldnt produce something worthy of going in a car, much less be all that safe. If they are supervised and helped however, a roll bar is not a big deal.
Hey I agree. I wasn't trying to say don't do it. Just don't want anyone to think that they can put in a cage the day the pull their first welder out of the box.
I've seen some stuff at the track that is more of a hazard in the car than a safety feature. The one I'm talking about looked like a fence post tacked into the car. The welds were so bad I don't think it would have stayed attached if he hit the brakes real hard...
With proper direction, a roll bar is a great project and very rewarding to do yourself.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage Design