Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Tig torch question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tig torch question?

I have a weldcraft wp-17 aircooled torch i was wondering what other torch is good i want to up grade i am going to start welding my roll cage and i want to get a flexible one and a little bit smaller too?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by empire_619
I have a weldcraft wp-17 aircooled torch i was wondering what other torch is good i want to up grade i am going to start welding my roll cage and i want to get a flexible one and a little bit smaller too?
Well a 17 will still do a cage ok, but i think a wp-9 would work better.

I have a water cooled 20 series and I think they are similar in size to th wp-9. And smaller then a 17. Remember to get a short back cap to get more room.

What kind of machine are you running? Lots of people dont use them, but I have always liked gas lens's over regular collet bodies, for me it allows you to use less cfm and get the same or even better coverage of the puddle.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned

you definitely want a watercooled torch. They are always smaller in size for the same amp. Also it is a good idea to build a relationship with a local welding supply house. You might pay a few more dollar than online but the knowledge is worth it's weight in gold. Trust me
Old 03-13-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have used the wp9-FL. It is an extendible reach flex head. The extended reach will help you reach some of the tough joints involved in building a roll cage. The flex head is the greatest invention for tig welding since the machines came out. I wouldn't go any smaller than this, because of the amperage you will need to run. I am not sure what wall thickness you are going to use, but these supposedly are only supposed to weld up to 1/4" material. Anything over that and you should be mulitpassing anyways.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get yourself a 20 series torch with a flex head and short back cap . A water cooled torch is a lot more comfortable especially when your doing out of position welds in cramped areas . Even if you don't have a cooler you can rig something up , some people just run tap water and let it go down the drain . I've also seen some homebuilt coolers that were effective and affordable .
Old 03-13-2008, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by v8pwr
Get yourself a 20 series torch with a flex head and short back cap . A water cooled torch is a lot more comfortable especially when your doing out of position welds in cramped areas . Even if you don't have a cooler you can rig something up , some people just run tap water and let it go down the drain . I've also seen some homebuilt coolers that were effective and affordable .
Tapwater= bad Idea. Deposits will form in the torch, eventually rendering it useless as a water cooled torch

If he is building 1 cage, no offense he doesnt need a water cooler. If he is going to do this for a living, or even as a hobbyist who does lots of tig welding, by all means go for the cooler. But if he has something like a 160-180 amp machine, he shouldnt waste his money. I tig welded for years with an aircooled torch. Now as a professional weldor I can afford to have almost any tool I need, because I use it every day. Someone building a 6 pt roll bar (which he probably shouldn't do if he isnt very familiar with tig) doesnt need a cooler.

I asked at first what machine he has, to get some background on what his applications will be, but he hasnt replied.

I Hope I dont sound dick-ish, but to the original poster, since you arent familiar with torch sizing, I hope you can weld very well, hate to hear that someone got hurt due to a cage failing.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Teching In

cool thanks guys for all the input i have a syncrowave 250 im pretty new at tig welding but im getting the hang of it.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with not needing a cooler for those amp levels. For welding .080-.100 wall material you dont need over 130 amps. Even at that, you are not welding long contiguous beads, so the torch and lead have time to cool. I run 75/25 coolant/water in our coolers btw. No problems there.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by empire_619
cool thanks guys for all the input i have a syncrowave 250 im pretty new at tig welding but im getting the hang of it.
Now that I know what machine you have, You will never be able to run full output with either of those torches. That machine has 310 amps at full cap, also draws like 104 amps of 220 v with a cooler attached. As long as your staying less then 130-140 amps or so you should be fine. But if you ever go to weld some thicker stucff, or aluminum over 1/8", your going to need a water cooled 20 series torch.

I have the same machine.

Good luck, and do lots of practice first....
Old 03-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Teching In

thanks badd ss for all the input buddy. yeah i never realy weld anything thick it only mostly exhaust work. i mostly weld marine diesel exhaust or little brackets here and there.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know using tapwater can leave deposits but here where I live the tapwater is pretty good . I recommended the cooler because of the comfort and compactness of the torch . We have 3 Syncowaves and 2 Dynastys ( f'ing awesome btw ) and they all have coolers . I feel that even for a beginner , using quality tools helps lessen the learning curve . You bought a good machine compliment it with a cooler , if you sell it , the setup will be worth more . I've always been a big advocate of using quality tools especially when learning so you can focus on what you're doing . Definitely practice as a bad exhaust weld isn't anywhere as bad as a bad cage weld , but atleast you've had to work in cramped areas . 4130 is a little different than steel or ss , just don't overheat it .
Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh Yeah , BadSS , glad to see someone knows how to spell weldor . It kinda sucks looking for a job as a welder .
Old 03-19-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

You say that. But everytime I put an ad. online that I am looking to hire a weldor, no one responds. When I redo it and spell welder, they reply. Most weldors I know dont even spell it right.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well anytime I've searched for weldor locally , 0 results . Most people argue with me and think I'm stupid for saying it .
Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by v8pwr
Well anytime I've searched for weldor locally , 0 results . Most people argue with me and think I'm stupid for saying it .
Im the only one I know who uses it, so now, two more. You like your dynasty? I used one for a while, dyn 200, but I want to buy a 350(yikes are they up there). Then I'll retire the syncrowave to the garage.

My bobcat has been messing up lately, so I think it's time to get a whole nice new setup.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

my synchrowave 351 at work is awesome i love it. i bought a lincoln for the house though....go figure.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Bobcat? Thats a throw away machine.......j/k I have 3 of those for the structural work, and a pipepro on my personal truck. Interested in a trailerblazer pro 350D? Paid $9500, 500 hours will sell for $7,000.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Bobcat? Thats a throw away machine.......j/k I have 3 of those for the structural work, and a pipepro on my personal truck. Interested in a trailerblazer pro 350D? Paid $9500, 500 hours will sell for $7,000.
Well, it's served me well, thats Why I have it... Got a great deal on it, and put thousands of hours on it. Had an SA-200 F163 but it died too, I loved that thing.

I might be interested, but thats a long way to drive , maybe if I had a couple cars to transport on the way.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bad SS , the Dynasty 350 is simply awesome ! We bought one and it worked so well another one was purchased a few months later . The presets allow you to set your machine for a variety of materials and thicknesses and access it quickly , it's almost too adjustable , easy to move around the shop , very capable cooler , everything a $7,000 should be . If you can , try one out for an extended "test drive" and I'm confident you'll say "WOW" . I've never favored Miller's but this thing rocks ? I've always had problems with Bobcats , they work for a couple of years and then they're done . The Trailblazer diesel is real nice . We have an older abused unit that works sweet , I just hate the smell .

Quick Reply: Tig torch question?