User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Updated Classifieds!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob, like pwrtrip is saying, in a long way, Yall have too many categories. I understand ur intentions with breaking things down into specific categories, ie fuel, induction, etc. But that makes its too complicated and time consuming when creating sale thread and for searching. I believe if u condense the engine part category into the example I gave, It would help with both those problems. U need to break down the car model selections for fbodies more than u currently have as I have done In my example. To answer ur que about Parts fit catagory, choices should be: LS, LT, and OTHER. Maybe then have subcatagory of engine, drivetrain,poweradder, suspension, or exterior/interior. Then simply choose the vehicles the parts apply to. keep it simple!!! Then if I wanted a console for a 05 gto, id simply select LS.... exterior/interior.....04-06 gto. Done.

And guys.... quit bitching and saying " do it like the old categories" give specific ideas!!! If thats too hard, then simply look at my example and critique it. PLEASE!!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys - Robb M. is trying to help. You have his attention. Please take the opportunity to be positive and make effort to fix the search to suit your needs. Bashing him or attacking him personally is completely counter-productive and it's certainly going to make him want to help make changes. You've been complaining forever about the search not working properly. You now have someone that can assist. I suggest that you utilize that resource properly.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KISS

Two categories: Ls and non LS.

Keep the format that makes the poster post price, item, location, etc. There is just too many types of parts out there to make any kind of functioning category.

Then actually make the search WORK. Like I've said numerous times the search is not working. I can search for something simple like "cam"'and select it to search every category and come up with 0 results!!! How is that possible if it's working correctly. There would be little to no complaining if the search actually worked.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Phynix, thanks for the wasted post space. U just repeated what everyone else said in the first 55 pages of this thread. There was absolutely ZERO Useful or Helpful information in all that crap u just typed. Great Job.... thanks for the Help. Rob has posted up the current format, and IS ASKING U TO CRITIQUE IT!!!!! At least half u guys that are posting In this thread are making it Embarrassing to be a member on here.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:53 PM
IB Staff

ok, so, it seems like general consensus is to reduce the number of categories.
This is the current list of categories:
Accessories
Audio/Video/Electronics
Brakes
Drivetrain
Engine - Complete Motors
Engine - Electrical
Engine - Exhaust
Engine - Intake/Fuel
Engine - Power Adders
Exterior - Body Parts
Lights
Interior
Racing Parts
Steering & Suspension
Wheels & Tires
Non-Automotive

next, we need a solid designation of whether the part is an LS, LT, or other engine part, is this correct?

Next, we need to include all pertinent vehicles...do we need a list for LS1 vehicles and another list for non-LS1 vehicles? Something like this?
A. 2010+ Camaro
B. 2005-Current Corvette
C. 1997-2004 Corvette
D. 1998-2002 Fbody
E. 1993-1997 Fbody
F. All other vehicles

and this:
A. 2010+ camaro
B. 1998-2002 Camaro
C. 1998-2002 Trans Am/Firebird
D. 1993-1997 Camaro
E. 1993-1997 Trans Am/Firebird
F. 2005-2010 Corvette
G. 1997-2004 Corvette
H. 2004-2006 GTO
I. Pre-1993 Fbody
J. Pre-1997 Corvette
K. All other vehicles
?

We currently have another field called engine, with the following choices:
1. LS2/LS3/LS7/L92/LS9
2. LS1/LS6
3. LT1/LT4
4. Small Block
5. Big Block

Is this section needed? or is it extra if we are already taking LS, LT & other into acount?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, it seems like the search function not working has just been completely ignored. How bout you get that running correctly and then worry about changing the categories.....I'm telling you if the search would work there'd be a ton less complaints!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:24 PM
IB Staff

The search problems are due to the categories and stuff not being set up, or used as intended.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robb M.
The search problems are due to the categories and stuff not being set up, or used as intended.
Logic is too hard for some to grasp, rob. I think the first category u have listed (part type) is TOO specific. I think choices like,
Engine (from air filter to oil pan)
Drivetrain (from trans to rearend)
Suspension (steering to calipers)
Exterior/Interior
Wheels/tires

Your last catagory where engines types are broken dwn can be discarded, since the first choice should be to label sale thread as LS or Non-LS.

Just my thoughts
Old 06-25-2010, 03:48 PM
IB Staff

I agree on both points. Less categories is easier. And the engine section is extraneous if we clearly define LS/LT/other as the very first step when creating a listing.

I would like to hear some more feedback before I change things, since I'll be removing stuff and deleting data from current listings when I do.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is not about whether Robb or Adrian or whoever are "car guys." It is also not about whether IB is the "evil empire." Keep it on track.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sharpe
This thread is not about whether Robb or Adrian or whoever are "car guys." It is also not about whether IB is the "evil empire." Keep it on track.
very true it's about lack of organization and a search function that never works properly.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robb M.
.....then get rid of them. Like I said, two categories, ls parts and non ls parts. Let the search function do all the work for those of us looking for a specific item. You have made it so specific that it is now useless. You must remember that the average person is an idiot and can BARELY follow simple directions. KISS.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the fact that the search engine DOES NOT WORK, PERIOD, but I also want to throw out there that blanket LS/LT sections aren't the best thing either. A lot of parts are interchangeable, especially in the drivetrain.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just thinking a little bit here Rob, but I don't believe the search isn't working because items are being put in the wrong categories. Again, I just did a search for "cam" I selected it for any category in all fields and still came up with nothing. That's not a user error that's a DESIGNER error. Even if you put the item in the wrong category or none at all.....it should still come up in a search for all categories.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the one above....KISS... 2 categories. LS and non-LS.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by YURVIEW
Logic is too hard for some to grasp, rob. I think the first category u have listed (part type) is TOO specific. I think choices like,
Engine (from air filter to oil pan)
Drivetrain (from trans to rearend)
Suspension (steering to calipers)
Exterior/Interior
Wheels/tires

Your last catagory where engines types are broken dwn can be discarded, since the first choice should be to label sale thread as LS or Non-LS.

Just my thoughts
I think the exterior and interior HAS to be broken down as they are different for the late and early 4th gens, not by much but they are different. However, everything else looks pretty good.

Maybe we can have a part out section where the posters dont have to list every single item. Make them have, say 20 parts minimum to post in there.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Ok there have been some decent suggestions so far. I decided to go check out the classifieds to see if there was anything I could find to help out and I found a little issue... THE SEARCH DOES NOT WORK. And I don't mean it's just a bad idea or that I don't like it, I mean it literally doesn't work. I just went to the main page and did a search for a few generic parts like intake, heads, cam, etc. And nothing came up at all. That was without selecting a category which I would think would just cause it to search the whole forum, is that correct? I also tried searching the same things while selecting LS and still nothing came up. So at this point I suggest we focus on fixing the search function itself before we go changing things up, fair enough?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:09 PM
IB Staff

I am confused by the reports the search feature does not work. It seems to work for me, but perhaps I am not searching for the same things?

I am happy that there is communication going on, so lets keep it up and fix this!
Old 06-28-2010, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

I listed some of the things I searched and how I went about doing it, try that and let me know what you find.

Also I was thinking, if the search functioned properly wouldn't it be possible to just select LS or non-LS, hit the search, and essentially have the old subforums back? That alone would silence the vast majority of complaints here.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Search worked fine for me. I tried cam and headers and came up with 10 pages each.

Quick Reply: Updated Classifieds!