Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Looking to trailer my car, any ideas/help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Looking to trailer my car, any ideas/help?

Hey guys I'm looking to trailer my car back home from the bay area after gofast908z details it in a couple of weeks. I don't have a trailer, but can maybe find or borrow one. I will most likely end up going with a u-haul trailer. Do you guys have any experience or advice on the u-haul trailers? Or maybe even recommend against it. Hell if there is anyone with a trailer I can rent or borrow in the Fresno/central valley area please let me know. I appreciate any help or advice. Oh and my car is lowered on stranos and has hooker supercomp longtubes if that makes any sort of difference.

Thanks,

Elvis
Old 06-11-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could probably have it towed via private car hauler, they normally go from city to city.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to rent trailers from equipment rental places before i finally bought one.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you guys know the ball park prices of those two options?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Launching!

with equipment rental places, it depends on the place and size of trailer. i think it used to cost me 40 or 50 a day, but if it was more a few days it was reduced. im not for sure, thats been a few years. but a 16-18 foot equipment trailer works great. the equipment trailers will probly be wider than the uhaul ones which makes things a lot easier.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my friends had a crown vic from utah to cali for 200 bucks.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Launching!

The uhaul car hauler is $59.97 after tax. They don't let you transport a fbody on it because of it's size. It does fit though. If it's lowered you will need to find a dip to place the trailer and a Jack to raise the hitch so when your loading it you don't high center the car. When you use the car hauler make sure they have it in stock. Also make sure you state you will be towing something small like a civic or VW bug. Make sure to bring you own light hook up or they won't rent you the trailer and they sell the $3 part for $15+.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by haighter
The uhaul car hauler is $59.97 after tax. They don't let you transport a fbody on it because of it's size. It does fit though. If it's lowered you will need to find a dip to place the trailer and a Jack to raise the hitch so when your loading it you don't high center the car. When you use the car hauler make sure they have it in stock. Also make sure you state you will be towing something small like a civic or VW bug. Make sure to bring you own light hook up or they won't rent you the trailer and they sell the $3 part for $15+.
if this is the case, just go to an equipment rental place. a 16-18 ft dovetail equipment trailer will have enough clearance. mine is lowered 2 inches and cleared just fine
Old 06-12-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive used the uhaul car trailer a few times and it worked fine, but do not for any reason, do not!!! do not!!! use there tow dolly, my front bumper found out the hard way that fbodys will not fit at ALL on there tow dolly
Old 06-12-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think I'm going to call a few of the trailer places in Fresno and try to rent a 16-18 ft dove tail correct? I'll use the u-haul as a last resort. Is there anything to put in front of the car to prevent rocks from being thrown up by the truck and hitting it?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blk98ls1
I think I'm going to call a few of the trailer places in Fresno and try to rent a 16-18 ft dove tail correct? I'll use the u-haul as a last resort. Is there anything to put in front of the car to prevent rocks from being thrown up by the truck and hitting it?
yea. tell them what ur haulin and they'll set ya up with everything ya need
Old 06-12-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

-Elvis
Old 06-14-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i towed my buddies firehawk up to the bay, he rented the trailer from united rentals. Car fit well on it from what i remember.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

I've personnally pulled my SS 900 miles on one of the U-Haul car hauler trailers behind my 06 Z71. Pulled so easy I would forget it was back there. Loading and unloading was simple and my car has SLP long tubes and dual 3" X-Pipe so ground clearance is minimal at best. Nothing dragged and not scratch. The car sits high enough that rocks and road debree are not an issue. Take a set of mechanics ramps and with the trailer attached to the truck back the rear truck axle up the ramps for loading and unloading the car. This raises the trailer toungue increasing the angle of the trailer so the car does not drag on the trailer where the ramps meet the rear of the trailer - hence increasing ur ground clearance. Trust me it works like a charm! I highly recomend the U-Haul car hauler it was so easy to use and pull that I didn't want to take it back. The one way trip cost me 275.00 bones and they gave me 5 days to use the trailer.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Launching!

not ******* the uhaul trailer by any means, i have never used one. but i would trust a reliable equipment business's maintenance over u haul's when it comes to that. but all places can be pretty poor when it comes to that. i never thought about it much till i rented a dump trailer and had a blowout goin down the road, almost loosing my truck and a load of gravel. i dont know how much the uhaul trailers can hold, but im sure people overload them a lot
Old 06-21-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay so I've been calling around and I keep hearing that towing the car behind the truck will probably cause more damage in rock chips than driving it back home. What do you guys think? If it does, is there anything I can do to prevent rock chips? Thanks for the help guys!

-Elvis
Old 06-21-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk98ls1
Okay so I've been calling around and I keep hearing that towing the car behind the truck will probably cause more damage in rock chips than driving it back home. What do you guys think? If it does, is there anything I can do to prevent rock chips? Thanks for the help guys!

-Elvis
3M painters tape is your friend. Tape up your front bumper. Get the wide roll so you don't take forever doing so.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Launching!

ive pulled cars over 500 miles a few times and pulled them locally more than i can count. never had a problem, but i dont want to say its not gonna happen just in case
Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Teching In

It might not look the best but you can tape up card board or an old blanket on the front of the car. Just makes sure you secure it really good.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spicy
It might not look the best but you can tape up card board or an old blanket on the front of the car. Just makes sure you secure it really good.
Never thought of using a blanket lol, not a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Looking to trailer my car, any ideas/help?