Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Need place to center rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need place to center rear

Hey guys and gals. is there a place here in the cen cal, that can center up the rear end. I have Adj. LCA's and PHR. wanted to get everthing centered. want to make sure the control arms are equal length. I installed new rotojoints on the LCA's but the LCA's dont seem even. and i'd rather pay someone to do everything right and quick, instead of me messin w/ it. do u know if big o tires would be able to do it?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Launching!

use a tape measure and see what the stock ones were at then adjust the new ones to same length very easy to do and doesn't take very long that is how mine was done and rear end was straight
Old 06-21-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Actually using the stock measurements in not 100% accurate, alot of cars are off from the factory. Also if the car is lowered that would change the position of the rear.

Any decent alignment shop should be able to do it.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Actually using the stock measurements in not 100% accurate, alot of cars are off from the factory. Also if the car is lowered that would change the position of the rear.

Any decent alignment shop should be able to do it.
coo thanks. i can see the control arms are not the same length, so thats why i think its not centered properly. my car is lowered. and i do have the UMI LCA relocation brackets. I matched em up both to stock as close as possible. but the Thread from the Roto joints, one has alot the other one doesnt. so thats why i think they look uneven.

all i can say is after installing the roto joints. and installing the control arms correctly with the poly on the frame and rotojoints on the rear, guy who installed originally had rod on the frame and poly on the rear. and lots of noise and it felt like the car was falling apart. now, silence. and rides damn near like stock. huge difference thats for sure.

I'm gonna take it to my friend at big o have him align the rear and adjust what is necessary. also make sure everything is torqued down properly as well.

thanks for the input.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What I do is with the front wheels straight, measure from the center of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel and make both sides equal. Then I used a string and a weight and hung it over the rear fender on each side and used a tape measurer to measure the distance between the hanging string and the center of the rear wheel and I adjusted my PHB until both sides matched.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Teching In

What are you trying to do with the car? Big O tires and other tire shops usually don't know a damn thing except for putting it to stock...
Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NORCALMUSCLE1
What are you trying to do with the car? Big O tires and other tire shops usually don't know a damn thing except for putting it to stock...
Just trying to get everything adjusted properly. its a street car w/ occasional strip. and i'd rather have it professionally done that way i feel more comfortable.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
Just trying to get everything adjusted properly. its a street car w/ occasional strip. and i'd rather have it professionally done that way i feel more comfortable.
Just do what I said and you'll be fine. No need to waste money.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Just do what I said and you'll be fine. No need to waste money.
thanks for the info. what has me confused is that the controls arms are not the same size. and the passenger one was a pain to losen and tighten the roto joint. especially w/o power tools. as it is right now it rides a million times smoother then before.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

update:

Got everything done. and let me say, night and day difference. like i said before. the guy who originally installed my control arms, had installed em backwards. and the car felt like it was litterally falling appart. I'd drive over a damn leaf and it would make horrible noises as if it was falling appart. like everything was lose, and i was constantly getting it re-tightened every few months. so now that the control arms are on there correctly, w/ the relocation bracket. the car feels new, no more noises, no more sounding like its falling apart. now im no longer embarrassed of my car when i have a passenger in the car. they'd always say it sounds like its falling apart. also the harshness and stiffness is gone as well. which i had thought it was the SLP Belstiens, that were complete crap, but now. its so smooth. I love it. Mad props to UMI for making such awesome products.

current suspension is as follows: B+G 1.4" drop springs, SLP Belstiens, UMI adj. LCA and PHB.

now I need to buy some Strano Sways, and install my UMI SFC's that i have in my closet.

Quick Reply: Need place to center rear