Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Beware of Las Vegas shop!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beware of Las Vegas shop!!!!

So I had a motor built by Leading Edge Performance here in Las Vegas I have since put about 6K-7K miles on it. The motor has smoked from day one and it ate coolant as well. It also went through a quart of oil for every oil change. I wanted a leak down done, but they just never got to it. It was supposed to be a built 383 for a 400 shot direct port, I only planned to hit it with a 250 at the most, but I wanted it over built. Well, about a month ago I was racing a friend ON THE MOTOR, I hit 4th gear, let out, and hear what sounded like rocks go out of the exhaust. The car still ran and I drove it home. I drove it to the shop the next day because I was planning on having a tune done for the 200 shot. Well, they checked it out and said it melted a piston so I had it towed home. They said they had no room for my car and it would be 2-3 weeks before they could get to it. I decided I would pull it apart and turns out that #5 and #7 were broken.

I found some things wrong with the car as I tore it down. Evap was not hooked up and no egr gaskets on the headers. Anyway, so I finally had the short block pulled out and took it to a very good motor builder here in town. They tore it down. He said, "So far the crank, rods and most everything looks good, but the moly rings and pistons seem to have got alot of heat." I asked moly??? Well, should have had a total seal steel top ring in it and 2nd napier. As of right now looks like a Plasma moly. The real kicker is my custom nitrous pistons. They are off the shelf Diamond #11504, I called today and the shop told me. lol They are suggested for small nitrous applications. I wanted a built motor for a 400 shot and got a cheaper piston than thought. Here they are.

I also was told another 3-4K to fix it. I am pissed to say the least. I have been a great customer/friend to this place and this is what I get.

So, in the end, I got a motor that smoked, ate coolant, and now blew up. Was told to let it "break in." After that was told it needed 3 filters for crank case pressure . Still did not fix the problem and the motor is now in pieces. I took it back to the shop many times but they just kept pushing it off for a leak down, compression test. Now we have a major problem and nothing is being done.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are always 3 sides to every story and I feel your frustration, but what made you not doing anything for 6-7k miles given the oil and coolant problems?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
There are always 3 sides to every story and I feel your frustration, but what made you not doing anything for 6-7k miles given the oil and coolant problems?
The shop was aware of the issues, they just kept pushing them off, not we have a huge problem and they do not want to do anything about it.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

****** a, sorry to hear you got screwed not only on parts but them also doin a fucked up job of putting it together
Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

That motor looks like it was lean how'd you not pick up on that?
Who tuned it?
You got pics of the combustion chambers?
Theres no excuse for parts switch though.Thats bullshit straight up.....

Last edited by SincalT/A; 10-24-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like it went lean to cause the failure, likely not a engine builder issue, that being said it doesnt mean it was built correctly.... but there always multiple sides to every story, maybe leading edge performance could chime to put their side in
Old 10-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Engine was built and finished 10/2009. Several 1/4 mile passes and freeway roll ons. DD every other day.
Car has been 10.3x's@over 135mph on a small 150 shot. (Tune was dead on.)
Car had the sxxx sprayed out of it. Car currently had the motor tune in it not NOS tune. If it was sprayed on that tune it would explain the detonation issue???
Engine machineing and clearances was checked by another professional engine shop and was perfect other than the huge amount of detonation damage to the pistons and rings. Even the bearings and head gaskets were perfect. The tune is the same tune that has been in the car from the begining. Tunes do not change.(We created two tunes for the customer Motor & NOS). If the car was sprayed with the current motor tune that was in the car and not the NOS tune it would certainly have caused this damage. The pistons are forged 2618 Diamonds with a Diamond ring pack. Still plenty of piston and ring for a tuned 150 shot.

It would have never broke ring lands/rings like this on a motor pass. A lean issue would not break rings and ring lands. This damage is from Detonation Period. You told me yourself the last time you sprayed the car was in Feburary. Now it blows up on the motor??? 6 months later???

I told you we would take care of the R&R and check out the engine to determine if it was a motor machining/assembly issue or a parts failure. You were not willing to wait 2-3 weeks for an appointment. I had been on the phone with you for hours on hours trying to help with this issue. I told you from the beginning I would work with you on the repair, and you chose to take it into your own hands. Ring gaps were perfect as well...

PS: You were never told this motor would handle a 400 shot. You should not of sprayed the car on the motor tune..

I thought this was only a H/C car? I also think we should still send a piston and ring back to Diamond.

Our doors are always open to you.

Garth
LEP
Old 10-24-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The same post everywhere. Wow.....good luck finding all of my posts.

VegasLSX, does not want to help he is just posting this to try to not look bad.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car went lean first then detenated if you want to get technical.....Look at the tops of the pistons where the ringland broke that clean look in that areas not from detenation.If detenation was the main culprit then there would be nicks on the pistons.Not like the piston where debris broke off and nicked it up cause it was stuck in the cylinder.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Facts are facts. 11 months of driving. 10.30's @over 135mph. Motor tune on N20. DETONATION. You needed to load the N20 tune before you sprayed it..

We offered from the begining to fix and work with you on the car. Engines can break. It is part of going fast.. You needed to load the N20 tune before you sprayed it..

I have all the logs and the tunes of the car if any wants too see them.

Garth
Old 10-24-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't need logs/tunes....I reeeeaaally wanna see the C.C. with plugs?????
Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Don't need logs/tunes....I reeeeaaally wanna see the C.C. with plugs?????
I will try to get some pics for you.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Just a thought boys. My tuner puts both tunes in the computer, when I arm the nitrous it switches the tunes!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one of those "who knows who saying the truth" deals but honestly man, if I spent that much money and had those problems from the get go I wouldve sent the car right back. So whats 2-3 weeks now to you? I know its not worth $3000. I wouldnt drive it period. If they were really putting you off I wouldve had another shop fix it and send them the bill...or in court. I wouldnt let my shop put it off. Any good shop with a customer that paid any amount of money should take a car right in if there seems to be a major problem, period.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by C5natie
This is one of those "who knows who saying the truth" deals but honestly man, if I spent that much money and had those problems from the get go I wouldve sent the car right back. So whats 2-3 weeks now to you? I know its not worth $3000. I wouldnt drive it period. If they were really putting you off I wouldve had another shop fix it and send them the bill...or in court. I wouldnt let my shop put it off. Any good shop with a customer that paid any amount of money should take a car right in if there seems to be a major problem, period.
Yeah what he said !!!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nz12's
Just a thought boys. My tuner puts both tunes in the computer, when I arm the nitrous it switches the tunes!!!
Not trying to hi-jack this thread. but can you please PM me more info on this.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Brandon, Im REALLY surprised... not that ANOTHER LEP motor has broken with little miles... or that another person was overlooked when asking for service... or that inside the broken motor another person found cheap parts, or even that another person was told it was all their fault... Im just shocked YOU of all people are having problems with Garth. I swear, I think Brandon's account was hijacked, i woulda sworn you two were best of friends.

What doesnt surprise me is Garth ducking and weaving once he has your money and your car is busted. That seems like a normal practice when things go wrong.

Sucks bro! Good luck getting it taken care of, we still need to line up!

Quick Reply: Beware of Las Vegas shop!!!!