Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

llong tube headers are they illegal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default llong tube headers are they illegal

I bought a ws6 98 and it has long tube headers and no cats with two old school chamber glasspack mufflers but I live in California and wanted to know if I get pulled over would my car be impounded for no cats or how big would the ticket be
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Launching!

no clue but how does it sound im about to do that to my car but with single chamber mufflers.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Launching!

well with true duals also.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

yup, in california anything that moves the place of the oem cat in any direction is illegal. Removing them is also illegal. This will only effect the "Visual" part of the smog test.

I would like to add, that adding long tube headers, and keeping cats on the car, has nothing to do with the "Sniffer" part of the test. If the rest of the smog stuff is still there, and the car is close to stock, it will pass with long tubes and cats.

Just Californias way of keeping us in check
Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

Also, as far as i know, you can be fined money per cat that is removed, if you get caught driving like that. Of course it would take a great eared officer with auto knowledge to even look.
Doubtful that it would get towed, but you could get sent to a referee smog station, which could be worse, lol.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...gulations.html

Fine = $1200/per Catalytic Converter if removed.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by caturnbull1
no clue but how does it sound im about to do that to my car but with single chamber mufflers.
Sound nice and loud way better than Mangaflow and flowmaster and even borla nice tone I recommend it
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...gulations.html

Fine = $1200/per Catalytic Converter if removed.
thats crazy,thank god in md we dont get fines for that lol
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jeffro_93
yup, in california anything that moves the place of the oem cat in any direction is illegal. Removing them is also illegal. This will only effect the "Visual" part of the smog test.

I would like to add, that adding long tube headers, and keeping cats on the car, has nothing to do with the "Sniffer" part of the test. If the rest of the smog stuff is still there, and the car is close to stock, it will pass with long tubes and cats.

Ok I know it won't past smog but if I get pulled over. Will it be a ticket or ill the car be impounded the smog im not corred besarse I got a friend thai países it
Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jeffro_93

Ok I know it won't past smog but if I get pulled over. Will it be a ticket or ill the car be impounded the smog im not worried because I know someone that does it for me and passes it
Old 11-19-2012, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Just toss on a set of high flow cats, it gives the cops something to look at when they pull you over. Much less likely to get issued a ref ticket.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ito be honest with you and im not going to beat around the bush..... if you modify the car in any way be prepared for a fine.... its just playing with fire... no if, ands or buts ......
Old 11-24-2012, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

I was pulled over L/T headers and I know a few others were as well. I don't know about the bay area but here in San Diego more than likely your car will not be impounded. If you pay the ticket outright without fixing it, the ticket will be $525, at least that is how much someone I know paid. That doesn't mean he is off the hook. Next time he gets pulled over the car may be impounded. I fixed mine and I pay $285. If the cop know what he is looking at, having cats will be a moot point.
Also, if you have tint, take it off. The cop pulled me over for tint and then had me pop the hood.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

It's simple, Don't mod your car if its registered in CA and plan to drive it on public streets if you don't want to break the law. If you do, don't be upset if you get fined.

Quick Reply: llong tube headers are they illegal