Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Is street racing to be a FELONY in California?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is street racing to be a FELONY in California?

I heard only a rumor that the govenator is passing a bill that would make street racing a "felony" in California! I don't know the details or the validity of the rumor, but I will get full information in the next day or so. After hearing of this, a few questions came to mind:

Anyone know anything more about this?
What is considered street racing under this rumored bill?
Are other states going to follow?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

haha what bs, all its gonna do is get more people killed from running away from cops.

What they should do is make it a felony to ride a motorcycle with no liscence! (yes you too govenator)
Old 09-24-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try reposting this in "Street Racing and Kill Stories" and you'd probably get a better response!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Try reposting this in "Street Racing and Kill Stories" and you'd probably get a better response!
It's a bit vague when it comes to posting here. One thread I wrote on this section went like seven or so pages (Just found out the new Cobra can and edge out the New Z06) only to be deleted after two weeks. I'll let "Stole It" decide where to move it since he is the moderator.

Aside from posting formality, this issue is fairly important. A contest of speed can vary in severity. But could you imagine going to prison for 10 years and losing your car forever because you roll raced another Camaro from 50-60 mph? It seems absurd to me.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

if you post that in the street racing and kill section, i will get locked.

no race + no kill= locked

damn, im glad i live in wisconsin. my buddy got pulled over driving drunk to work 2day, but since he got pulled over driving into the parking lot they let him park it and just walk in with no ticket. the way cops and laws are around here, makes me wonder about that bank i drive past on the way home...
Old 09-24-2006, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Built LT1
It's a bit vague when it comes to posting here. One thread I wrote on this section went like seven or so pages (Just found out the new Cobra can and edge out the New Z06) only to be deleted after two weeks. I'll let "Stole It" decide where to move it since he is the moderator.

Aside from posting formality, this issue is fairly important. A contest of speed can vary in severity. But could you imagine going to prison for 10 years and losing your car forever because you roll raced another Camaro from 50-60 mph? It seems absurd to me.
Lets be honest here. How many street races that start from a 50 mph roll actually end sooner then 120? Not many. It's the kids on the highway running to 120, 130, 140+ MPH that they really want to stop. I bet that even if this bill exists/passes that the DA's will still be willing to plea bargain anyone who was caught in a non-accident city street speed contest. At least if they hired a decent lawyer and are willing to pay a higher fine. After all, money talks.

But put all that aside for a moment. You only have to worry about the consequences of breaking a law IF you plan to break that law. I know this isn't a popular opinion to have on a ls1 car forum, but it's how I feel about this subject. Keep it to the track and you never have to worry about it.

No matter what witty response someone may or may not have to my post, there is one thing no one can deny....

The street racing laws are made for the same reason we have DUI laws, which is to make the roads a safer place for all of us. Is that really a bad thing? Think about it.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:47 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Let's move this to the Western Members Forum (from General LSX Discussion)...
Old 09-25-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO if you have the ability to cause harm to innocent people, then it should be a felony. If you do it where only you and the other driver could get hurt, then on harm no foul.

Think of why these laws are proposed: Some dipshits decide to race on a residential street or on a highly populated street and someone innocent is hurt/killed. Political pressure is easy in situations like this.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ilovefirstgens
haha what bs, all its gonna do is get more people killed from running away from cops.

What they should do is make it a felony to ride a motorcycle with no liscence! (yes you too govenator)
NO

Quick Reply: Is street racing to be a FELONY in California?