Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

New Camaro will disappear again.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Camaro will disappear again.

Hi guys, thought this would make a good discussion. A few people, including myself, feel like the Camaro, as awesome as it may be, will not last as long as hoped. One reason is that Chevy is too late in this game. This retro styling fad has already been around since 2005 with the Mustang followed by the Charger and Magnum. These cars have stayed alive because they offer a v6 even though companies like Mopar are on the verge of going under and are taking a huge risks with a new lifetime warranty on their vehicles, risking big future losses just to stay afloat today. The Challenger is the most recent player but with their price, theyre not expected to sell a whole lot. Another thing is that when the new Camaro was an idea, the oil prices were not as bad as today. In 2004 91oct was $1.50+, now its $4.40 avg in socal. When the new Camaro first comes out it will sell pretty good. Why? Because many enthusiats, like us, and collectors will buy one. The v6 wil out sell the v8 but once the first year, or less, fad fades sales will drop. Just like the Mustang, the Charger and the Magnum. With the economy the way it is, people losing their houses, and gas prices out of control do people have $35-40,000 for a sports car? If your fourth gen sleeps in the garage during the week to save gas, can you afford a new car payment and to drive the new Camaro? Few will be able to do so. Insurance prices are going up too,especially for younger drivers. Looks like all the odds are stacked against the cars we have come to love. Vote Republican and their friends are oil companies so prices still rise. Vote Democrat and everyone goes green and we plug our cars into our home electrical outlets. Either way the muscle car losses. So, yeah, buy a new Camaro because it will become automotive history. "Look son, when i was your age thats the gas powered cars we use to drive". Might as well buy a Chevy Volt when thay come out. It'll be the new sports car and at least it dont look too bad, or at least it didnt. What do you guys think.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep..... I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. I also feel that GM took WAY too long to launch the new camaro. The gas prices will definately discourage a lot of people from buying one and even some enthusiats won't be buying one for varied reasons (Myself included... why the hell would you use the names LS and LT.... also.. what's up with those huge rims?? Lastly... what happened to the Z28??).

The big three should have planned for the long term.. rather than for the next quarter. Unfortunately.. they didn't and put all their eggs in one basket (Relying on SUV and truck sales).

As far as the camaro goes for me... I already have my camaro and I will never part with it. I'll never stop being a camaro fan.... but I have to admit.. GM took too long to pull the trigger and when it did... it came up short.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree. its about 5 years too late. the only people who will buy it are people who don't mind the gas prices and die-hard camaro fans. but even then, it won't be enough for future production. maybe if the made it lighter and faster, it would be more appealing. but the fact is, for that kind of money you can get a hell of a lot faster car. its not going to be the latest and greatest but it will be cheaper and faster.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

first off, gas was NOT $1.50/gallon in 2004. it was about a dollar more a gallon.

also, there will always be a group of people who can afford a car like the camaro. it wont be marketed toward the 16-21 age range, but probably more of the 28-35 age range...just one notch younger than the corvette crowd.

these people wont care about gas or insurance, and are not loosing their houses. the people loosing their houses are those who are living beyond their means, who bought houses with loans that they shouldnt have gotten. its only a small percentage that are loosing houses becuause of lost jobs.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Launching!

my next camaro is not gonna be one of the new ones for sure but most likely a 98-02 nbm trans am to go with my camaro or an old school camaro. For the price of the new one might as well go with a vette.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fast01z28
first off, gas was NOT $1.50/gallon in 2004. it was about a dollar more a gallon.

also, there will always be a group of people who can afford a car like the camaro. it wont be marketed toward the 16-21 age range, but probably more of the 28-35 age range...just one notch younger than the corvette crowd.

these people wont care about gas or insurance, and are not loosing their houses. the people loosing their houses are those who are living beyond their means, who bought houses with loans that they shouldnt have gotten. its only a small percentage that are loosing houses becuause of lost jobs.
You're right gas wasn't $1.50 a gallon in 04 but about $1.84 and I have receipts to prove it still. I remember filling my dd for $17-18 then for 9-10 gallons. The other thing is that most people that own an f body on this website are between 20-28 years old too. But it's true I don't care how much gas is, I'll still drive my camaro and insurance isn't too bad.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

I can probably afford a camaro but more than likely i wont get one. It just doesnt intrigue me enough to get one.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

point taken on gas price...i dont keep tract, i just know that when i started driving in 96 it was $1/gallon, and has gone up consistently ever since.

and i agree, i probably wont get the new camaro either. id keep my 01, and id probably get a 69 and use a modern motor.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as it pains me to admit it...I agree. I have been into Camaros ever since I was about 10 yrs old. I bought my first one...an 81 Z28 at 16, I am now 22 and have owned 8 Camaros and 3 Firebirds.But... I am so sick of the damn "retro" crap.

The Mustang was kind of cool looking when it came out, then the Challenger came. It looks good but GM is way late to bring a retro car. And besides being too late I dont like the new Camaro and I feel its going to be overpriced.

The only way I would buy a new Camaro is if I came accorss a good low mileage used one, and it would have to be a stripper model which is what I think GM should make. Old school with roll up windows, no a/c, no radio, no fancy leather this and that. Just the biggest engine offered, a manual trans and a rear end that can take abuse.But I doubt they will make a model like that.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

point taken on gas price...i dont keep tract, i just know that when i started driving in 96 it was $1/gallon, and has gone up consistently ever since.

and i agree, i probably wont get the new camaro either. id keep my 01, and id probably get a 69 and use a modern motor.
I remember driving my first car, my 67 bug giving the attendent $10, filling it up and going bakc for change!
Old 08-10-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I remember driving my first car, my 67 bug giving the attendent $10, filling it up and going bakc for change!

damn. and not only gas, but u guys remember when 10 bucks could buy you two movie tickets, and a large combo?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you get my point on the gas prices but the crowd you mentioned that can afford the Camaro, without breaking a sweat, is a smaller percentage than you think. A lot of hard working people that lost their homes because of variable rates and increase in living expenses with no increase in pay. Its hard to see the future.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn...you guys talk like the economy will never be ok anymore...this whole talk about the Camaro being late n **** is getting old really quick! no one knows what's going to happen so how about we wait until after the first year and then talk?

Flame suit on
Old 08-11-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
damn...you guys talk like the economy will never be ok anymore...this whole talk about the Camaro being late n **** is getting old really quick! no one knows what's going to happen so how about we wait until after the first year and then talk?

Flame suit on
unless oil prices drop, which won't happen for a long time, things are going to be in the dumps. alot of people don't seem to realize it but our country runs off oil. high oil prices equals high transportation prices equals high prices for food. not only that, but all this ethanol bullshit everyone thinks is so great causes corn prices to go up, which is also feed for cows, which causes milk and meat prices to go up.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

yes we all know this...let's stop beating the dead horse shall we?
Besides I don't really eat meat or drink milk...i dont know about u but I'd rather have cheaper gas..btw have you noticed gas has been dropping lately?the barrel is now at about $115...and by the looks of the crude oil (light) commodities chart it looks like it'll continue to drop

Last edited by L3THAL_Z28; 08-11-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Nate can you shut up fool. We'll find out in the future if the car will survive or not. If it doesn't, oh well. If it does, then good. Regardless it's coming. Will it survive for a 6th gen? That we don't know. I'll admit though that if gas prices don't come down, and the car is not affordable, it will not survive. Do we know for sure if the economy will be in the same state it is in the next few years, maybe only the economists know because I sure don't.

You must be bored huh Nate to be posting such a long *** post about the new Camaro? Go out fool.

Carlos
Old 08-11-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

thank you...someone has some common sense lol
Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
yes we all know this...let's stop beating the dead horse shall we?
Besides I don't really eat meat or drink milk...i dont know about u but I'd rather have cheaper gas..btw have you noticed gas has been dropping lately?the barrel is now at about $115...and by the looks of the crude oil (light) commodities chart it looks like it'll continue to drop
yea it has gone down a little. once it goes under $100 again i think people will start to relax a little bit more.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by C5natie
Vote Republican and their friends are oil companies so prices still rise. Vote Democrat and everyone goes green and we plug our cars into our home electrical outlets..
its just that easy huh? vote democrat and the o zone is healed, the gas prices drop everyone goes about their marry way plugging oversized golf carts into their electrical outlets? lol please. their is much more into todays economy then what political party you choose.

as for the new camaro, well i dont care if it sells well i dont care if it lasts long, hell for me the fewer the numbers, the shorter the years, as long as they make the ss with a blower or a z whatever, sounds like ill have a nice piece sitting in the garage for years to come. ill be buying a fully optioned car manual with the biggest motor with the most hp, assuming they make one with at least 500, then ill be game. my home can wait, im assuming it will be a great investment.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hlaalu
damn. and not only gas, but u guys remember when 10 bucks could buy you two movie tickets, and a large combo?
Typical GM, let Ford and Chrysler saturate the market before releasing their competitive model to a consumer that is no longer interested.

I remember at McDonalds for a $1 you could get a hamburger, an order of fries, and a drink and get change back.

Last edited by azredbird; 08-11-2008 at 02:27 AM.

Quick Reply: New Camaro will disappear again.