Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Powder Coated my ZR1's

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Powder Coated my ZR1's

Got a set of ZR1's in bad shape when I bought my Z. Previous owner got them down to the bare aluminum, polished them up, and never upkept them. The brake dust damage was very bad. They've been sitting in the garage waiting for a reason for me to put them on, and just so happens I got an unrepairable flat last week.

I spent ONE day polishing up ONE wheel. Results were good, but not what I was looking for. And, car is my DD and after spending a day on one wheel, I didn't feel like I could keep up with the maitenence of polished wheels. So, I decided to paint them.

I ask a friend what color he thought would look good? (I was leaning towards gunmetal....to many out there that are black) He reminds that he just recently got a powder coating kit and says we should powder coat them.

I knew what powder coating is, but had little knowledge of it. My buddy had little expierence with a few small parts, but had done a lot of research. So, I ordered some powder.

I ended up buying from powderbuythepound.com. I bought 3lbs (a good thing I got so much as you will see) of their charcoal grey metallic, and then 2lbs of a nice/hard clear.

Took two days to powder coat them as we ran into a few problems from our inexpierence and that we only had one small oven. We ran into three problems during the process.

First problem was out gassing. Out gassing is when the trapped oils and debri inside of a poris metal emit gasses when heated. After doing a couple wheels we noticed pits everywhere. After some quick research we discovered it was out gassing, and one of many remidies for it. We had to bake the bare wheel hotter and for a longer time than the curing processing called for. The powder I used needed 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Then, clean the wheel with acetone to get rid of the oils that came to the surface.

Well that worked....but lead us to our next problem. After prepping one wheel for out gassing, we noticed that the pitting was happening while applying the powder in some places. We tried baking anyways, but came out with the same results...pits and pinholes. Researched again and found out we weren't letting the acetone evaporate enough and the vapors were coming through the powder. And, that we needed to bake at 250 degrees to let the acetone evaporate.

Now we got all that settled, and I go and screw things up. As I'm washing off a wheel, I'm not paying attention were the war goes from the hose and a very tiny bit of water gets into the bag of powder. After a little bit it starts clumping in small amounts and isn't coming out of the gun correctly. After all is said and done, we had to head to the next town over at 10:30pm to get a sifter to get the clumps out. It works, and finally, at 11pm, we're doing things right. We pretty much lost almost a whole day.

All in all each wheel got like 5 coats of the charcoal due to the mistakes and slight sanding between coats. And, when it came down to the clear...things went great.

I'm very pround of the results. And, probably what everyone clicked on this thread for, here are some pics. They are not on the car yet. Working today and a half day tomorrow. They will be on Thursday or Friday and I'll update the thread.

Here are some of the wheels getting prepped. Notice how bad the pitting was. The wheels were prepped with chemicals and a nylon bruch before using a grinding wheel.

Here they are all prepped up. Didn't do the back side of the spokes....as they weren't getting coated.

The powder

Coated wheels before baking

Some sanding due to gassing

After proper powdering and baking (no clear yet)

Final product after clear, looks smooth as glass in person don't know why it has a textured look in the pic

And some ouside shots.

And one next to the dirty car
Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW they're gonna look good! i definately dont have the patiences for that lol good job :CHUG:
Old 03-11-2009, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

looks like the end result came out good.

learning expierence.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Havok2
looks like the end result came out good.

learning expierence.
Exactly. It was only a $200 set of wheels, so screwing up wasn't that big of a problem. Every time we got frustraded we just to tell ourselves "we're learning, and now we know what not to do".
Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks awesome i must say ... i used to hate the ZR1s but the more and more i see them the more and more they grow on me ... maybe because everyone is moving on to something else
Old 03-11-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

looks good.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Very nice...
Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, I'm second guessing my color choice. That last pic keeps popping up my head, and I think it's too light of a color. I'm debating on whether to put them on with tires or not to see, or redo the wheels first. Here's some other options I was looking at.
http://www.powderbuythepound.com/cat...roducts_id=584
http://www.powderbuythepound.com/cat...roducts_id=144
http://www.powderbuythepound.com/cat...roducts_id=718
I reaaly like that black chrome.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I'm not diggin' the color. Was hoping for a much darker grey. I bought some Black Chrome power last night (middle link above). Gonna redo the wheels Wednesday and hopefully have tires on Thursday.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Interesting.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Interesting.
Can I has your M3?....you don't need a bike, s/c camaro, AND an M3
Old 03-13-2009, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like that black chrome color. Please post lots of pics as I may have to do a set of wheels in that color sometime.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Teching In

looks great....
Old 03-13-2009, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

going to look real sharp man.. Nice job!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

definatly do more pics after you do the black chrome. I'm gonna have a set of wheels coated myself here pretty soon and i'm feelin that color.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE:

Ok, almost pulled an all-nighter last night to get the wheels done in time to get some new tires today. Worked hard, but I'm very pleased. This black chrome comes out just like a nice gunmetal color, and has a nice, shiny and almost chrome shine to it when in the sunlight. Here are the pics!

Old 09-13-2009, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just now saw this, I'd posted in the thread earlier and may have a set of silver zr1s powdercoated this color. Was it a multistep process for the black chrome? I'm gonna send my coater guy the product page link cuz I'm really likin that color and think it'd look good against nbm. May leave a silver lip on em though to break it up a bit. Anything else I need to know about doing wheels that color? U happy with how it's holding up? Did you do a clear powder over the gray?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Photochop
I just now saw this, I'd posted in the thread earlier and may have a set of silver zr1s powdercoated this color. Was it a multistep process for the black chrome? I'm gonna send my coater guy the product page link cuz I'm really likin that color and think it'd look good against nbm. May leave a silver lip on em though to break it up a bit. Anything else I need to know about doing wheels that color? U happy with how it's holding up? Did you do a clear powder over the gray?
After redoing it completely after the first color, I did a base coat of antigasing primer, the black chrome (sometimes two coats on some wheels), then the clear. It's been holding up just fine. There were little imperfections, but you can't see them unless you are right up on the wheel. Using a $60 harbor freight gun and a $50 used oven...I wasn't expecting perfect results.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Those look amazing. Is there a link that you used for the overall process to do this? I would like to do this with my next set of wheels.

Quick Reply: Powder Coated my ZR1's