Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

My experience with Nitto NT01's.(Like 5 days)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with Nitto NT01's.(Like 5 days)

Just got my c6 DD wheels from OEwheels, and put my 315/30/18 Nitto NT01's on them. First off, these tires look bad ***.. second.. the grip is amazing. I can hook up hard with these tires, and they handle excellent. Rain.. is quite terrifying, and I would strongly suggest great caution when driving these in the rain, I already almost lost control of the car, just driving normal(accelerating though).

I am very happy with these tires. Going from the old street tires I had is night and day, not even close. Pics of the wheels will be up tomorrow prolly
Old 06-14-2010, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

What did your before those tires?

Anymore info on how they feel in corners or how the grip heated vs cold?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

I've never had a very comparable tire, I've had 275 goodyears and they just lit up like I was riding on plastic tires. One place where I have noticed a huge grip increase that I didn't expect(this good anyway) is turning a hard right onto a busy road, and gunning it to catch up with traffic. I don't slide around, it just chirps and hooks, even while turning. VERY very fun getting onto those roads now =D.

I haven't heated them up other than just driving around yet, but I haven't really felt the need to either(I haven't tried actually launching these, but I did do a little 2500ish rpm rev launch from a light, and it chirped and hooked instantly(after driving around for about 10-15 mins, not sure if that would heat them?)
Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Launching!

After driving around in this heat, especially in texas, I'm sure they would have some decent heat to them around 10-15 minutes.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested to see how they hold up after a few months of daily driving. I found the NT555RII's really lost a lot of traction after a few months (about 3k miles). They just didn't hold up well to repeated heat cycling, even the minor heat cycling of summer daily driving.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
What did your before those tires?

Anymore info on how they feel in corners or how the grip heated vs cold?
Every car is different. They are drastically more sticky cold vs cold and hot vs hot. If you are doing track sessions they do begin to grease up with high heat and air pressure, but they are a very predictable tire and very confidence inspiring. I've had no problem feeling the *** end begin to slide and counter steer out.

Every DOT-R type tire will heat cycle out far before the actual tread is gone. I've ran my NT-01s down to almost a bare slick on all 4 corners with close to 12k miles on them. I took the car to the track recently where they performed VERY well for the little tread that was actually left. If I was stock power they would have been just fine, but I was putting down ~400 at the wheels and was under-tired in the rear (stock sizes). I've driven them in the rain and they aren't that bad. You have to expect any high performance DOT-R street tire to act shitty in the rain; meaning you need to be cautious. But really, I hadn't had any problems in the rain with them.

I will be buying them again in larger sizes when I buy new wheels (and finish the new motor)
Old 06-14-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have been considering getting these tires when my current tires run out.

I don't drive my car but 3000 miles a year. Nearly all of that is from taking road trips. Do you think the will wear quickly on an 800 mile round trip?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

pics ?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
I have been considering getting these tires when my current tires run out.

I don't drive my car but 3000 miles a year. Nearly all of that is from taking road trips. Do you think the will wear quickly on an 800 mile round trip?
wear? no. The thing with DOT-R tires is they will heat cycle out and the rubber will begin to harden the longer they are used. The actual tread depth is useless to gauge effectiveness and performance, it's all about heat cycles. If it's strictly a high performance street tire for you, go for the NT-05, slightly harder compound and actually meant for the street rather than competition use like the NT-01, and the NT-05 won't (shouldn't) harden as fast. By the time you wear out a set of NT-01s the compound will have hardened to be more like a Kumho XS or GSD3, plus the tread design doesn't make for a great rain tire if that matters to you

Quick Reply: My experience with Nitto NT01's.(Like 5 days)