Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Tire sizes for best handling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tire sizes for best handling?

What's up guys. I did a search for this but found a bunch of different stuff so I'm still unsure. For best handling, is it better to use skinnier tires up front than in the rear?

I'm currently running 275/40/17s on all four corners but I see a lot of people running skinnier up front. I'm getting new wheels soon (chrome C6 5-spokes ) and just want to get the best tire combo I can since I'll be getting those too. Thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire quality will help you more than tire size. A 275/315 setup with crap tires will be worse than 275's all around with good tires. Technically these cars are set for equal tire size front and rear. To optimize a 275/315 setup you would need to make raer spring/shock adjustments.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. If car is stock stay sith 275/40R17 on all 4 corners. Putting a wider tire in the back without making suspension changes will make the car understeer (push) in the corners. Put a set of Kumho XS which have a ton of grip, but wear quickly.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Default Same Size All Around for Best Handling

Originally Posted by 02firehawkT/A
For best handling, is it better to use skinnier tires up front than in the rear?
Although I don't disagree with what SSCamaro99_3 said and I'll agree you can set one of these cars up to handle well with larger tires in the rear, the simple answer to your particular question is no. Tire quality dfinitely helps, but even the best tire will leave you experiencing understeer when driven to it's potential in these cars. Putting more rubber out back puts more grip there which is exactly what you don't need when understeer is an issue. Bigger tires in the front helps balance the handling better.

Hope that helps.
Mark.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mark2002
Tire quality dfinitely helps, but even the best tire will leave you experiencing understeer when driven to it's potential in these cars.
Very true. OEM's build in understeer as it is easier for the average driver to manage. People notice a car pushing off line easier than a car snapping off line.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

So the general consensus is that I should go with the same size on all 4 corners since my suspension is stock? The car is an 02 Firehawk with factory springs/shocks so I don't know if that's technically considered "stock" suspension.

If the above ^^ is correct, can anyone recommend a nice grippy set of street tires that won't kill my wallet? I'm talking something above Super Steel's but below Eagle F1's.. lol. Car is only driven in the summer, and never in the rain. Again thanks in advance and thanks for the input so far
Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So the general consensus is that I should go with the same size on all 4 corners since my suspension is stock? The car is an 02 Firehawk with factory springs/shocks so I don't know if that's technically considered "stock" suspension.
Its "stock" as long as its factory. What they are referring to is altering the balance of the suspension (stiffness for example front to rear, like running an overly big rear swaybar will induce oversteer).
Many of the track guys run 17x11 at all 4 corners with 17/35/315s. Definitely a little extreme for a street car and will require some modifications to fit good.
If the above ^^ is correct, can anyone recommend a nice grippy set of street tires that won't kill my wallet? I'm talking something above Super Steel's but below Eagle F1's.. lol. Car is only driven in the summer, and never in the rain. Again thanks in advance and thanks for the input so far
Nitto Nt05s, stock size (17/40/275) all around. Under $200 a pop, much cheaper than the goodyears and much much more grippy.
If you are really interested in handling search around the suspension section while you are at it, you can dramatically improve handling/stability/feel/balance with simple mods like good shocks (konis).
Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Nitto Nt05s, stock size (17/40/275) all
Do you run the NT-05? I am seriously considering it. I am stuck between it at the Ecsta XS. Would really like the Toyo R-1R or R-A1, but not really up for the price.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Its "stock" as long as its factory. What they are referring to is altering the balance of the suspension (stiffness for example front to rear, like running an overly big rear swaybar will induce oversteer).
Many of the track guys run 17x11 at all 4 corners with 17/35/315s. Definitely a little extreme for a street car and will require some modifications to fit good.

Nitto Nt05s, stock size (17/40/275) all around. Under $200 a pop, much cheaper than the goodyears and much much more grippy.
If you are really interested in handling search around the suspension section while you are at it, you can dramatically improve handling/stability/feel/balance with simple mods like good shocks (konis).
Do you think for the $$ Konis would be a worthwhile upgrade from the factory Firehawk/WS6 shocks?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Do you run the NT-05? I am seriously considering it. I am stuck between it at the Ecsta XS. Would really like the Toyo R-1R or R-A1, but not really up for the price.
Yep, I love them. That being said I have no experience with the Ecsta XS or Toyos.

Do you think for the $$ Konis would be a worthwhile upgrade from the factory Firehawk/WS6 shocks?
Most definitely, even more so if you have decarbon shocks(orange/black) - those might as well be paper weights. Definitely my favorite, and most noticeable suspension mod.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The wider the better, but as others have noted wider rears will make understeer more pronounced. Can't he get the car alligned to were this isn't as much of a noticeable problem?

Personally for a good street tire that will perform good on the track I'd say a NTO5 for the rear and a 555RII up front (not the DR's but the auto x and road course tires). Go with a 305 or 315/35 width rear and a 275/40 up front. The koni shock and strano spring upgrade is pricey but it will make your car handle like a dream. Bilsteins are about the next best thing behind konis.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Why would you want to mismatch tires? You will have more grip out of the RII's than the NT-05. Trying to balance the car that way (if you are rying to do so by running a higher grip tire in the front) seems like a bandaid. 275's all around with a NT-555RII, NT-01, or similar should provide a better return.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what would you guys say about something like my current setup?

I want to say maybe later down the road I'll run "brand name" springs....but i have to tell you. I am happy with this setup.....the fronts are cut about 1/3 of a full coil. And the rears from a 93 with more mileage...also drop the car plenty out back.

I'm very happy with the Koni's.
And im running Eagle F1's.

I would like to run 10 or 10.5 inch width wheels up front soon.
As well as 11 inch or 11.5 inch in the back....I know some mods will have to be done to fit.

I've got 32mm up front and want to do the 22mm soon as well out back.
I will likely go for hollow bars.(35mm frnt later also).

The car handles very tight. I could almost say it reminds me of a go kart at times....probably due to the poly up front. I want to dial it in some more.

What arrangement would u go with assumming 35/22 bars...? and the widths mentioned for wheels?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

What kind of driving do you do with your car?

Quick Reply: Tire sizes for best handling?