Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Bright Purple Metallic Formula w/ 18" INTRO GT SPORTS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bright Purple Metallic Formula w/ 18" INTRO GT SPORTS!!!

Well here are the first sneak peak pictures....

I just got the car last week.... and the transformation has begun.

The wheels are 2 piece Intro GT Sports 18X10 rear, 18X9 front. The fronts have just under 2" lip and the rears about 2.5" lip. The tires are dunlop 9000 275/35/18 fronts and the rears are BFG drag radials 295/35/18. The tires/wheels fit without having to bang the fenders. They're about 1/2" or so from the inner fender where they tend to hit. And the wheels were ordered on April 6, so they took less than 4 weeks to get to me and on the car.

Last night I removed the rear Z71 package by cutting the coil springs 1.5 coils and removing the rubber locator..... the fronts are not lowered yet, but will be by removing a coil (so obviously the car squats a little at this point). Tonight I'll be fixing that.

The calipers/rotors stick out BIG time, luckily I have the wholesale direct rotors on the way and will be applying some magic to the calipers when I can get time.

2 Questions....

1. Should I go with A.B.C.D?
A. Polished Calipers with purple brackets
B. Purple Calipers with gunmetal brackets
C. Gunmetal Calipers with purple brackets
D. Or what else (No yellow here!)

2. I need personalized plates... What are your thoughts? Need some good suggestions. I ONLY get 6 letters in Oregon. I'm thinkg of SXYBRD, BADBRD, URNVS, 4MULA, ILWAXU, 1 OF 26, or SJANTZ (my name).

Scott

PICTURES:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...40575323ADNgWZ
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...40575438ZCqCjc
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...40575369VAuTXo

Many, Many more on the BOTTOM of my webshots page:
http://community.webshots.com/user/jantzer98ss

Last edited by Jantzer98SS; 05-05-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

kickass looking wheels and i vote for the 1 of 26 plate....gives it a touch of uniqueness...
Old 05-05-2004, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Real nice wheels man, sent you a PM.

I say go with purple calipers with polished brackets if possible.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

? for ya about that intake you got in your wbshots page. just curious what you used to paint it with aand how yuo got is so shoiniey?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn Scott, I forgot about you picking up the Formula. I have to say thats the cleanest looking Formula I've ever seen in that color - it looks brand new.

Wheels look damn good, Im suprised you didnt choose Fikse - they look awesome on Formulas. As for the calipers I say powdercoat the brackets and caliper, Im not sure about the purple though - I was thinking gloss black. Lastly my vote is for the "01OF26"
Old 05-05-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NASTYLS1
Real nice wheels man, sent you a PM.

I say go with purple calipers with polished brackets if possible.
I agree with the purple calipers with polished brackets. I have red calipers and want to get my brackets polished ( just got figure out how I'm gonna do it)
Old 05-05-2004, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

Car looks bad-*** man, and is truly one of a kind.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice. I say go with option A.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Looks great Scott. I'm kind of in the same boat you're in. Do polished calipers + polished wheels = polished over dose? I'm kind of thinking purple or black with polished brackets. But the polished calipers sure look sick. I sure I helped a ton......
Old 05-05-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll trade yah
Old 05-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Banned

Thanks for the comments! The car definately is in good shape, only 46K now... has a few rock chips in front that I'll repaint when I get an aftermarket hood, but in general the paint is in like new condition.

So far we have:
Polished Calipers/Purple brackets - 1
Purple Calipers/Polished brackets or Black/Polished - 4

Plates:
1OF26 - 2

The painted intake manifold is a work of art. We have them painted by a very competent painter that really knows what he's doing and takes his time. The intakes are sanded down, plastic primed, sanded again, painted, sanded, painted again, and then a couple shots of clear coat. In painting you get what you pay for.... and we will only supply the best quality you can find. Typical colors like bright red and silver will run $225, specialized candy colors like the example on our webshots page run $275. But the look is simply amazing and guranteed to satisfy. We can match the intake up with our powdercoat to come up with an entire engine bay paint scheme. The purple formula will get an intake painted to match in the coming months.

Scott
Old 05-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice score on the car Scott! A purpla Formula with a hard top? WOW! Now that is rare! Looking good!
Old 05-06-2004, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Give us the history on that car, funny how you and Dr Evyl both have a purple Formula and are in far NW corner of the country (he is in Seattle I believe?)

The Intros look sweet, much nicer than Fikse wheels. Intro wheels have a much nicer (non-stepped) lip.

Tony
Old 05-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you polish the bracket it will need to be clearcoated or it'll rust. not sure if there is a clearcoat that will handle that kinda heat..but you do powdercoating so you could use clear powdercoat.

I'd go with polished caliper and purple bracket, option A i think it was.

to those who asked about overkill on the polish caliper with polished wheels..it looks great, that's what i did with mine.

beautiful looking car man, congrats..oh and go with 1 of 26 on the plate, that's a cool idea
Old 05-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Polished caliper and purple bracket! Definatly go with a custom plate. The car looks really nice so far, just keep it subtle, and it'll be sweet.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Banned

Sounds like 1 OF 26 it is!

It's definately a beautiful car, and luckily had low miles. I picked it up in Ohio from Matt Sayers..... he was on ls1.com back in the day. DrEvyl is the one that pointed it out to me, I asked him if he was interested in selling his. I was a little hesitant on the purple idea.... my girlfriend actually loved it when she saw pictures... so I bit. And now I'm WAY happy. I've had the car just over a week and probably have had a dozen people already saying they want to paint their car/truck etc. that color. Some even asked for the paint code. I told them it was some kind of hybrid mixed matched paint they don't make anymore... j/k.

I live in a town with 25K population, believe it or not there is a purple V6 firebird, one Z28, and one Transam...... now from what I hear and the guy claims with the TA is that it's an original WS6 and he has a letter from GM saying it's authentic etc. etc. So I'll have to verify that one. I'm not sure how many of them were made, but my friend says it's got the hood, wheels, emblems etc. just like it would from the factory... so who knows. The only other one I've heard of is the one on lswon.com. But I still like the formula better!
Old 05-06-2004, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Man, that thing came out awesome! I know someone wanted to see a pic of a GT Sport with no rivets, so there it is. Anyway, awesome car!!
Old 05-06-2004, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

love it
Old 05-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Banned

Here is the story getting the car home! Flew into Columbus, Ohio about 4pm. Met at the airport and did the exchange. Car was in farily good shape, but it was a gloomy day and you couldn't really see the paint well etc. and I just had a real short test drive to the nearest gas station. The rear-end made some noise, but I attributed some to clunking rear lca's and to the richmond gears. Well I made it about 30 miles on the other side of Indianopolis, Indiana where tornado's were touching down around me and I got a flat tire from a guy that lost a huge cabinet on the highway... narrowly missed the chunk of wood, but still got some glass in the tire. Well there was a pack of cars/trucks I was cruising with.... seems like at that time at night and that area... the trucks were running as fast as the cars. Well I got a flat.... limped it just under 2 miles to the rest area.... to find my spare was flat! SOB I was pissed.... because this was all supposed to be checked over before I started the 2500+ mile trip. Well it was late, 9-10PM at night and I'm stranded 25 miles from anywhere... luckily a guy told me he would take me to the nearest town (1 point for TX folks) and he drove me to air up the spare and get some fix a flats and find a place to get the tires fixed... well I had to wait until the next day. But, on my way to the next city, I get 3 miles down the road from the rest area and here is this one truck running in our pack that is tossed off the freeway about 30 feet on it's lid.. Well low and behold a tornado came thew and changed his night! And after I thought about it, I could hear the bang from 3 miles away when it hit the ground... and driving around we also heard the eye witness report on the radio. So at this point, I'm like well the flat tire doesn't bother me now! And as I'm returning after getting the donut aired up... another truck maybe 2 miles away at the MOST was flipped over on it's side just before one of the on-ramps on the east bound lane of the freeway.... so another one came through!

So I get the donut on, and slowly cruise to the next town to get a hotel room and wait for walmart to open in the morning to fix the flat (earliest place open). Well immediately as I'm pulling out, I notice the rear-end isn't liking the donut.... even though I'm going slow. The noise I heard before was clearly worse. Well I drove slow (40-45) to the next town (25 miles) and by the time I got there the car was about to come to a hault. I just wanted to get to a town where I could do something at this point... and go to sleep and worry about it later. Luckily I made it to the hotel.... the rear-end was actually starting to bind up like when you lose some teeth and you still drive. So I was trying to figure out how in the world I'm going to change a rear-end without tools and anything in this town.... or even find a replacement for that matter. Luckily I get up the next day and make my first phone call to BAKER's AUTOMOTIVE HIGH PERFORMANCE SHOP in Crawfordsville, Indiana. To make a long story short.... they actually let me use their tools, a bay in there shop, and made a lot of phone calls for me to get the parts etc. I needed. They gave me the keys to their truck to run around town to fix my spare, get parts, lunch... whatever! Man have I never been so lucky in my life to run into people like this. Even in town, when I pull up in the truck... I get service! right now! I go to fix the flat at the local tire shop and the guy out in the shop is telling me I need a new tire... the one I have is getting ready to blow. GREEAAT! But the old guy, probably owner, saw me pull in in the truck but was out in the office. The guy helping me quotes $146 for the new tire... the old guy steps in and says... no no he's with Baker.... it's $106! LOL! Then he runs over and looks at the tire and says... it's fine they just wear like that RUN IT! I was like right on and it only cost me $10.

I tore the rear-end down and luckily it was ONLY the inner bearing (they were plain shot), made my rounds... got the Baker discount all over town.... and fixed the rear-end that day by 5PM and was on the road again. I think I payed $120 total for parts, pressing the bearings on the rear-end, fixing the spare etc. etc. So I was extremely happy. Get it all bolted back up... it's make some noise still and seemed like it was dragging some.... now I'm nervous! But I just decided to see how far it would go. Luckily it settled down after a few hundred miles and quited down. No problems again with it.

Drove non-stop 32 hours... and I'm 2 hours from home... when I'm running low on gas in the wee-hours of the morning probably just less than an 1/8 tank out in the middle of now where, eastern oregon... and I'm running through some tight corners.... and I burned up the fuel pump!! NO! So I stayed the night in the car... 30 degrees out maybe... and called for the trailor the next morning and got it home. This one was on me though for running it low and through the corners. I was just trying to ease it to the next town.

So, it needs a new fuel pump. I order a Walbro 340 intake.... supposed to be here last thursday UPS. I paid for 3 day to make sure. Doesn't show up with UPS.... and I want to race this thing friday... So I cut on both of my cars, the trap door on the SS and Firebird and make the swap so I can drive the Firebird.... I get done a few hours later.... and here comes my friend holding the damn walbro! What luck!

But that's the story. BIG thanks to BAKERS BODY SHOP & PERFORMANCE and the mysterious Texan who saved me big time! The Texan finally took gas money atleast, but neither would take monday and I offered a good chunk of change. If you're ever in that neck of the woods and need something... goto BAKERS 765-364-5395!

In the end, it was worth it.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theres nothing like having a rare factory color ...

My wife talked me into the Monterey Maroon Metallic Z even though I was dead set on Pewter. Needless to say I haven't seen another Camaro with this color in the DFW area.

What plans do you have for the motor ?