Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

question about wax marking on brand new tire, pics included (Pilot Sport PS2)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about wax marking on brand new tire, pics included (Pilot Sport PS2)

I bought 4 new PS2's from Tirerack and this one has a reddish 'X' across the threads of one of my 295/30/18 tires. The remaining 3 don't have any markings on them at all. Does anybody know what this marking means? I guess the first thing that popped into my head when I saw a red 'X' is that this particular tire was marked for a certain reason....hopefully it wasn't marked "bad" at the factory and somehow made it out for sale or something like that.

I called Tirerack and they didn't know and then I called Michelin and somebody is supposed to be getting back to me about it. I just thought I would post it to see if any of you had any ideas....

I just have had HORRIBLE luck with tires in the past and I am probably a bit paranoid now.

thanks,
Paul

Old 03-21-2006, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

If i didnt know any better id say it was marked because there was a leak in that spot. But since it is brand new i have no idea
Old 03-21-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Red X's generally don't represent something good...Unless you are a pirate and looking for treasure.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Think positive. The manager marked the tire because he wanted the flunky in the back to get the right tire that you ordered so he marked one and told him to get 3 more just like it. How is that for positive thinking.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Teching In

I worked for Discount Tire Co. when I was growing up and these are some of my ideas:

(trying to stay positive) They were marked for store inventory...big marks I know but it is possible.

My second guess would be that they were maybe mounted on something before and marked so the techs (tirechangers) new which tires needed to be unmounted.

(negative)
The only other thing I could think of is that they were defect tires and were not supposed to be sold.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:02 AM
TECH Resident

my last set of BFG KD's had a big white 'X' across the threads on just one of them and it turned out to be fine, as I still have it on my car. I bought those at Tirerack also.

I am still waiting to hear back from the Michelin man I just want to make sure, as these are some expensive tires and they are getting mounted on some expensive rims (Aero's)....so I don't want to be mounting and dismounting tires when I don't have to be.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There aren't any red X's here, saavy?

Last edited by RollTideTA; 03-22-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Teching In

I work in a tire warehouse but have not seen that type of marking before.
My first thought was a factory blemish. Meaning it could have a slight appearance blem or the tire had to be shaved slightly to correct molding issues.
Either way, if the beads look good, they mount properly, balance perfectly you will be fine.
Just do a juicy burnout to remove the mark ...
Old 03-22-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get them to replace it, I would have them do so. Merely documenting it and mentioning that you have a record of the request, and will hold them liable should anything happen, will probably be enough to get you a replacement. I don't condone such behavior but sometimes you have to leverage a little to get things corrected.

Working in the automotive industry, the color red and an "x", are pretty much used only to identify problems. Having a red x on a part is a universal standard for scrap or reject.

There's a very good chance it was just some warehouse marking, and has nothing to do with Michelin.

But there is also a chance, that the tire was a quality reject that somehow made it out of the plant and to you. Such things are by no means unheard of. Whatever the case if this is what happened, then that red x made it on there because the tire did not pass factory inspection standards. Meaning you don't want it on your 160mph car.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

99.9% its inventory.

when we do inventory we mark them with an x in what ever color tire chalk is around