Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Chrome Flaking! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Angry Chrome Flaking! Help!

Ok, so my wheels are 10 years old since they are original with the car. I'm upset because the wheels still look incredible on the outside spokes where you can see. The flaking is occurring on the inside portion of the wheels, the flat portion where you'll sometimes see stick-on weights applied (I have clamp-ons). What should I do!! HELP!!!!

Thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are super bad. You can get them re-chromed or buy new rims.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Is there anything I can do in the meantime? If not, I'd probably get new ones (can I still get the stock 16" 5-spoke rims that are original to the 97 firebirds)?

I really don't want to get these rechromed because I've seen worse on wheels that were only a year old. I think these held up pretty nicely, and still look beautiful on the outside (where it really matters). I'll be happy if there is a way to stop the flaking right now so it doesn't get worse. Thanks!!
Old 11-24-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say get them re-chromed....its dirt cheap compared to buying new wheels
Old 11-24-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy new wheels. Stock wheels are cheap.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

mine are doing the same thing, I think it is because the guy who had it before me let the brake dust build up on the inside which eventually seemed to eat away at it. IMO as long as the outsides still look good then what is the big deal? I would just start saving for new, better rims, and by the time the outsides start to not look so hot you will have money for new rims anyways.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
Is there anything I can do in the meantime? If not, I'd probably get new ones (can I still get the stock 16" 5-spoke rims that are original to the 97 firebirds)?

I really don't want to get these rechromed because I've seen worse on wheels that were only a year old. I think these held up pretty nicely, and still look beautiful on the outside (where it really matters). I'll be happy if there is a way to stop the flaking right now so it doesn't get worse. Thanks!!

check ebay they might have some really nice used ones, but as for stopping the flaking now, i dont know if there is anything you can do..
Old 11-24-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for everyone's help. I was thinking of used ebay wheels, but am afraid the ones I end up buying off ebay might be worse than what I currently have (obviously I don't want that). Must be stock chrome 16x8 wheels as I want to stay correct. Any chance I can still get those new? Thanks!
Old 11-24-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine are also flaking but i really would like to keep the stock firehawk wheels.....does anybody have an idea on how much it would cost to get all four re-chromed?
Old 11-24-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Polished wheels are great!

My chrome 10 spokes peeled bad within seven months from buying them brand new from SLP...SLP said I was SOL.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my stockers flake like hell on the inside too...as long as the outside is fine its never worried me
Old 11-24-2006, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Thanks for everyone's help. I was thinking of used ebay wheels, but am afraid the ones I end up buying off ebay might be worse than what I currently have (obviously I don't want that). Must be stock chrome 16x8 wheels as I want to stay correct. Any chance I can still get those new? Thanks!
I'm sure AAA Rims still sells the wheels you're looking for either brand new or rebuilt.

This same problem happened to my Bonneville's stock chrome wheels. Now I have silver painted wheels on it.

I think it's exposure to the elements that causes it. The stock chrome wheels on my Camaro never had this issue, even after 8 years of use. But that's because the car never saw rain/snow, and most importantly NO salt. Salt is the killer. My Bonneville is driven in all types of weather, and I'm sure that what killed the wheels.

Moral of the story, don't use chrome wheels for driving in snow/salt.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

I have to say my car has never seen snow/salt ever, but has seen a little rain here and there. Not recently however.

If I can't find OEM wheels anymore, how good are the reproduction wheels? Looking for the exact same model I currently have.

EDIT - I just checked out AAA rims, redirected me to lakeshorewheelandtire.com. All wheels here are replicas (including the newer Z06 wheels). The pics of the Pontiac wheels look just like mine, but I wonder if they are really exact?

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 11-24-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

EDIT - I just checked out AAA rims, redirected me to lakeshorewheelandtire.com. All wheels here are replicas (including the newer Z06 wheels). The pics of the Pontiac wheels look just like mine, but I wonder if they are really exact?
I would say they are exact. I had their chrome WS6 wheels on my Trans Am, and it was a perfect match to my stock polished WS6 wheels, only in chrome. Here's a pic:

Old 11-25-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

If I were to buy off of lakeshorewheelandtire.com, what kind of quality should I expect? Would the chrome be at least as good as what came from the factory? Thanks!

EDIT: I also saw them on tacreationsusa.com. Anyone deal with this company?

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 11-25-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Before buying new rims, I would clean, scrape, wirebrush, and sand the inner wheel surface as smooth as I could get it, and then paint it with POR-15 or a heavy duty epoxy. I bet that would arrest the peeling and they'd last a long time.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I think it's exposure to the elements that causes it. The stock chrome wheels on my Camaro never had this issue, even after 8 years of use. But that's because the car never saw rain/snow, and most importantly NO salt. Salt is the killer. My Bonneville is driven in all types of weather, and I'm sure that what killed the wheels.

Moral of the story, don't use chrome wheels for driving in snow/salt.
Thats not it, my chrome 10 spokes were on my SS and that car was a weekend pleasure/show car that never once saw a sprinkle of rain. I am also a clean freak, those wheels were never dirty, I even pulled them off the car a few times to clean the brake dust off of them. The were seven months old and probably had 2000 miles on them at most.

The problem was poor quality chrome work.

Also, dont let anyone use hammer on weights on your chrome wheels, that is an invitation for galvanic corrosion and peeling.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Before buying new rims, I would clean, scrape, wirebrush, and sand the inner wheel surface as smooth as I could get it, and then paint it with POR-15 or a heavy duty epoxy. I bet that would arrest the peeling and they'd last a long time.
I was thinking something in those lines too. Maybe a coat of clearcoat would help also??
Old 11-26-2006, 11:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Thats not it, my chrome 10 spokes were on my SS and that car was a weekend pleasure/show car that never once saw a sprinkle of rain. I am also a clean freak, those wheels were never dirty, I even pulled them off the car a few times to clean the brake dust off of them. The were seven months old and probably had 2000 miles on them at most.

The problem was poor quality chrome work.

Also, dont let anyone use hammer on weights on your chrome wheels, that is an invitation for galvanic corrosion and peeling.
I've heard of a lot of issues with the chorme 10 spoke SS wheels. Seems like many them have pitting or pealing after a short while.

Good chrome should last basically forever when kept clean and not exposed to weathering.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I've heard of a lot of issues with the chorme 10 spoke SS wheels. Seems like many them have pitting or pealing after a short while.

Good chrome should last basically forever when kept clean and not exposed to weathering.
Your right, but its a gamble anytime you buy a set of chrome wheels.