Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Looking to get new speakers....going to best buy..

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to get new speakers....going to best buy..

Im gonna be using a friends discount to replace all speakers...what i want to know is what RMS should i look for to get the best sound with the monsoon system? How much can the amp handle?

Also feel free to browse best buy online and give suggestions.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....getype=listing

Last edited by jason1384; 06-26-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:21 AM
On The Tree

also, if anyone has any other information i should know when looking for speakers and the power specs of the stock amp.
I heard its either 200 or 500. if its 200 then would i have to look for speakers with less than 25RMW rating?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

First, read the Monsoon FAQ sticky. It has a lot of information about the amp and speakers used in the Monsoon system. Then step away from the Best Buy catalog and find a decent place to buy speakers that will actually work with your system. You'll find that the common coaxial speakers sold at big box stores aren't a good fit for the way the speakers are set up in a Monsoon system.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.keeaudio.com/id79.html
Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

thanks but im just looking to replace my stock speakers that are 10years old and sound like complete crap without spending a bunch.

I read the sticky but im a newb with car audio. If the amp is 200watts then the RMS of each speaker is like 25-30 right? So do i look for speakers with a RMS of 25? or can i go over that number slightly?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jason1384
thanks but im just looking to replace my stock speakers that are 10years old and sound like complete crap without spending a bunch.

I read the sticky but im a newb with car audio. If the amp is 200watts then the RMS of each speaker is like 25-30 right? So do i look for speakers with a RMS of 25? or can i go over that number slightly?
Okay, you're missing the point. We're not suggesting you get different speakers merely because they're better. We're suggesting you get different speakers because no matter how much you spend on coaxial speakers at Best Buy, they just won't work properly with the Monsoon setup. If you read the Monsoon FAQ then you know that the sail panel speakers are subs and only get filtered low frequency signal from the amp. Coaxial speakers connected there will sound like crap no matter how much you spend on them because they're not designed to play bass only. Similarly, the door speakers are component sets where the mids and tweeters are wired to separate channels. Again, a coaxial speaker isn't designed that way (although it's not as bad as in the sail panels and some coaxials can be modified to function as components).

Forget about watts. The output of the Monsoon amp is about 240 WRMS meaning that about 30 watts goes to each speaker (8 channel amp). I've never seen a 6.5" or 6.75" speaker that couldn't handle 30 watts except maybe at a flea market.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't use your friend's discount. They have a department at corporate that checks what he buys. Don't get your friend fired for something stupid.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

Have a look at non-sponsor link deleted for some good deals on speakers. YOu should be able to get something decent on a budget.

Good luck.

PS- component speakers are heads above any coax. Don't waste your money on coax.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

you cant go wrong with the alpine type r series the best ive seen other than the type x but that amp wont handle those speakers
Old 07-02-2009, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mp4life23
you cant go wrong with the alpine type r series the best ive seen other than the type x but that amp wont handle those speakers
I hate the way that they mount in most cars. Fortunately for Fbody, we have that nice removable triangle near the a pillar we can mount super wide alpine stupidface asshead tweeters. Seriously. Try installing that crap in other cars when your customers aren't wanting you to cut a huge hole in their door panel and have it look great.