Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

E-cutout wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E-cutout wiring questions

I have already done a search and found that someone has already done it but that's about all the information that I could get. I am looking to control my E-Cutout with the volume control on my steering wheel and have it on a toggle switch so that I can still control the radio. Is this possible (with the toggle switch) and does anyone have a diagram of how the controls are wired to make my life a little easier?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by f-bodyfanatic
I have already done a search and found that someone has already done it but that's about all the information that I could get. I am looking to control my E-Cutout with the volume control on my steering wheel and have it on a toggle switch so that I can still control the radio. Is this possible (with the toggle switch) and does anyone have a diagram of how the controls are wired to make my life a little easier?
thats kinda cool
but if you allready have a toggle switch to change the switch to radio/e-cutout
why dont u use that?

im not trying to turn you down. but well atleast for me
IMO simple and clean installs are the best.

i dont know much about the steering controls but i used to have them working on my car. but since i changed out my head unit they dont work anymore.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

I don't have a the switch that I need yet. All I have is the 3 way toggle switch that came with it and I don't have it mounted on anything (it's currently hiding behind my TC panel in the console). I'm trying to go for something different and I thought it would be pretty bitchin' having my volume control controlling the volume of my car.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

It won't work unless you're prepared to build yourself a logic circuit that can determine how much resistance has been introduced into a power feed by comparing the voltage to a reference feed. The steering wheel controls all work off of one wire. Each switch is connected in series with a different value resistor. The radio has circuitry to determine which switch is pressed by the amount of resistance introduced into the feed.

It is much easier to convert a factory convertible top switch for use with a cutout since it's a 2-way momentary switch with center off.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It won't work unless you're prepared to build yourself a logic circuit that can determine how much resistance has been introduced into a power feed by comparing the voltage to a reference feed. The steering wheel controls all work off of one wire. Each switch is connected in series with a different value resistor. The radio has circuitry to determine which switch is pressed by the amount of resistance introduced into the feed.

It is much easier to convert a factory convertible top switch for use with a cutout since it's a 2-way momentary switch with center off.
whitebird is right
listent to him.
he knows it all... lol
i know theres many placed that over cut out switches in nice places
like in the ash tray thing. also if you dont have the Traction switch some switches can be mounted there....
Old 12-19-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

white bird do you have a cb radio in your car? if so can i see some pics? of the antenna and the location of the radio?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
white bird do you have a cb radio in your car? if so can i see some pics? of the antenna and the location of the radio?
Yes, the CB is one of those all-in-the-handset Cobras and the antenna is a FireStik no-ground-plane base-loaded European design mounted in the stock antenna location. More information in this thread.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will be one sleek mod if someone can get this done on the steering wheel!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

A buddy of mine is an electrical engineer so hopefully with our powers combined we can get it done. If we do end up doing it I'll try and make a write up.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Perhaps I'm missing the point here but... what is the point?

It seems to me that a cutout is not something you need to have at your fingertips (unlike something like a line lock). You would go to all the trouble to build some sort of circuit to read the resistance from the steering wheel switches and STILL have to have a separate switch somewhere so you could go back to using the switches for the radio? Why???
Old 12-21-2009, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Because it would be unique.