Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

For those wanting to only upgrade speakers for CAMARO'S, COME IN HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 03:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soo, what subs are available and currently a good choice? Are these the only two being made currently, which sounds better?
JL 6W0-
Kicker RMB6-
Old 05-26-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tuffluck
did you really read the first post in this thread?

of course they are underpowered being run directly from the head unit, but that's how the stock monsoon system works, so that's how you re-hook it all up for it to sound right.
Yes I read it, just reimphasizing what was said.....
Old 05-26-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

i obviously don't know what the hell i'm doing, your description, tho long, is not descriptive enough for me, pics would definitely help
Old 05-26-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

sorry, i'm an idiot, pics are in the middle of the post...
Old 05-31-2004, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Default Panel question

I have never really liked Alpine, I'm really a Pioneer kinda guy...but hey if this is the way who am I to buck the system. Front door panels I get, now working back from there what is the next panels common name, quarter? The sail panels are the full rear with the spare tire underneath correct? Are the same speakers used in the backseat area as in the fronts? If so, I would guess that the same speakers/process is used for those, am I wrong? Guide me oh naysayers of install guys saying I need to to rewire my ENTIRE F-ing car.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

ok cool all this stuff in this thread is sweet. i put those dvc 6.5 inch type-r(well not dvc at all just 2 sets on connectons...1 for cone ..1 for tweeter) speakers in my door. but since that speaker had 2 sets of conection on it just like the stock speaker...i just cut the speaker and soidered it back the way it came stock and im still using the factory plug in conecctor. i was going to use the wire hing that came with it ( it was speaker wire that had a box with 4 wires(2 to the cone. 2 to the tweeter) that hooked up to the speaker on 1 side and 2 wires that came on the other side of the box). it was debatible but that was what i thought was the best. because it looked like the 4 wire ran all the way to the HU. i couldn't think of anything else other then that. but that was like 2 months ago and now i have a 4 channel amp and im kinda confused on what to do. how do i hook up the speaker to the amp. do i use that box thingy? or what?

alpine HU
alpine 12 type-r 1000 watt going to it
apline 6.5 type-r
Old 07-12-2004, 05:54 AM
TECH Resident

What is the new sub model number that everyone has decided is a good replacement for the RF? I would like to do all these at one time and make the pain go away...thanks.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
What is the new sub model number that everyone has decided is a good replacement for the RF? I would like to do all these at one time and make the pain go away...thanks.
I switched my front speakers out with the Alpine's and the rears out with the RF speakers, and it sounds like junk. I'm not happy with it. The sound distorts very easily at high volume, and the bass has to be turned down low to get any volume out of the speakers.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks to TL and RL for all the info in this post and the other that goes along with this one.
After reading both several times I am still trying to identify..

a) Which exactly are the Subs. I am 95% sure these are the ones in the back seat right at shoulder level on each side. Reason I am only 95% is because I am out this last Sunday looking for retailers of a 6.5" Sub to replace the popped one and I take it to one of these custom car stereo mecca joints that does it all and that's all they do. Dude behind the counter comes out, pops off the speaker grill (of the what I believe to be the Sub), takes one look at it and says its not a sub, says its a coax midrange. To which I reply, "uhhhhh well that's not what 100 posts on the interweb tell me, let me go check my numbers". I believe this feller to be wrong because his computer system didn't even recognize that my model year even HAD a 6 speaker system, much less different versions of the Camaro. He says the speakers in the rear hatch are "probabally" the subs. I think he is wrong.

b) That above said speaker is in fact a sub or a midrange sub, and when looking for a replacement what I should be looking for.

c) Size of said replacement and above said speaker. I need a 6.5" correct?

For the record, I have confirmed I have the 500w Monsoon for the year 2000 by the original manufacturer window sticker. Provided by the previous owner, thanks dood wherever you are.

Thanks for any help to my long and annoying post.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are correct, the speakers that are on either side of the rear seat are the 6.5" subwoofers. The front door contains a 6.5" coaxial speaker, and the hatch has the 4".

Most stereo shops don't consider a 6.5" speaker of any form to be a subwoofer, so that may be where the guy is coming from when he says it isn't a sub. Usually subs start in the 8" range and go up from there, a 6.5" driver is usually considered a midbass. The stock Monsoon speaker is not a coax though, he should have been able to tell that by looking at it unless it was replaced by the previous owner.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought the Kicker RMB6 a while back and installed them and they sounded like ***. So i just put some stockers in there and now they blew again. My stockers just have one harness unlike somem trans ams that have two. Is there a reason my Kicker Rmb6 didnt work???? Thanks
Matt
Old 07-26-2004, 11:08 PM
Teching In

I was shopping online at CircuitCity for the Alpine SPS170A speakers and also noticed that they have a Metra GM Speaker Harness (DW4568SH) for the Camaro. Would this work so that the cutting/splicing of wires isn't necessary?
Old 07-27-2004, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
You are correct, the speakers that are on either side of the rear seat are the 6.5" subwoofers. The front door contains a 6.5" coaxial speaker, and the hatch has the 4".

Most stereo shops don't consider a 6.5" speaker of any form to be a subwoofer, so that may be where the guy is coming from when he says it isn't a sub. Usually subs start in the 8" range and go up from there, a 6.5" driver is usually considered a midbass. The stock Monsoon speaker is not a coax though, he should have been able to tell that by looking at it unless it was replaced by the previous owner.
Thanks man.
Nice site BTW. Good resource.
Keep on truckin.
DJ
Old 07-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Teching In

I'm in the middle of this project and I've run into a problem. I've hooked up the speakers as directed, but I get some distortion from the passenger side speaker when the bass is kicked up. Thinking that there was something wrong that with that particular speaker, I switched the driver side and passenger side speakers and the same distorition was coming out of the different speaker (ie, the problem does not lie within the speaker).

Could my amp or headunit be messed up?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Just got done installing the alpines... they sound great!
Old 07-31-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright guys i have some brand new Kicker Rmb6 if yall want them. I paid like 120 alltogether including shipping. Ill take $50 shipped. later on
matt
Old 08-15-2004, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Thank you sooo much!

One of my front ones blow a few weeks ago and I didn't want to buy another factory one, just to have it blow again in a few months. Nor did I want to spend $1000+ on a whole new system.

It was pretty easy. The hardest part was getting the plastic cover over the door handle when I was putting it back together.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just ordered the alpines last night, should have them in a few days. i'll post results. so what are the avalible replacements for the speakers at the backseat? i have seen where the kickers are getting bad reviews, whats up with that? any reason why these are sounding so bad? i am no stereo guy, i like to go fast more than worry about stereo, but the GF likes it loud sometimes so i want to do some cheap upgrades while maintaining a stock appearance. thanks for all the help so far guys! great info!
Old 09-04-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Just swapped out my front speakers. Took me less than an hour, even with a couple of trips back inside to look at the pictures. I really need to get a new battery for my laptop so I can use it in the garage, too. Don't want to mess with wires, you know...

I'm no audiophiliac, but to me the system sounds a lot better than it did before.

Thanks for all the info, guys!

TS
Old 09-08-2004, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

the only speakers i ahve replaced are the rear hatch ones with some pioneers, i need to replace the speakers behind the front seats(6.5 subs),i have replaced them before under warranty, but its up now, i have read this thread and i am no closer in finding a speaker that would work, the RF's are no longer available and the kickers sound like *** from what i have read. i went to www.crutchfield.com and they recommended some speakers for the monsoon system, i will look for the speakers they recommend, if someone has a part # for a 6.5 sub that works list it please, it looks like i am not alone . Thanks.

Quick Reply: For those wanting to only upgrade speakers for CAMARO'S, COME IN HERE!