Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What sound deadner do you recommend and how much do I order?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What sound deadner do you recommend and how much do I order?

Working on just making the Z as nice as possible so I was looking to install some sound deadener before I did the stereo (I have a VERY loud exhaust).

I want to at least cover everything under the carpet but I'd like to buy enough to do the whole car (door panels, headliner, etc...) so please let me know how much it would take to do the entire car then I'll just not use what I don't do.

I'd like to know what brand is the best price, easiest to install and doesn't smell like tar. Also the best place to buy it... Any recommendations?
Old 12-03-2010, 02:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was researching companies to see which sound deadener I would purchase from I chose Second Skin Audio. It seemed like the best quality sound deadeners for a decent price from the word-of-mouth information I saw.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used eDead before and it works great. They have paint on versions too.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_24

See this thread... he uses eDead and bought 120 sq ft.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...dead-80-a.html
Old 12-03-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used RaamAudio on my beater and my T/A. Very impressive results, and pretty bearable pricing.

http://www.raamaudio.com/
Old 12-03-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've used dynamat and edead, my vote goes for edead, it's half the price and works just as well.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Banned

I have been using the Stinger Road Kill product more and more lately and actually like it better then the Dynamat stuff.
Probably want to use a bulk kit to do an entire car. Depends on whether your trying to deaden for road noise, loud exhaust, or just making an audio system sound better as to how much you really need.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:14 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I've used dynamat, raamat, and edead, and raamat wins hands down for price, quality, and performance. While dynamat is the most advertised product, the quality is nice, but it's the exact same product as raamat just higher in price. Edead is quite a bit cheaper, but the quality of this stuff is far and in between the quality of raamat, and dynamat. While it might deaden as well, it seems to be quite different in material making it alot harder to work with than raamat, or dynamat. moral of the story, best bang for your buck is raamat. if you're wanting to do the floor, doors, roof, and everything, i don't see you needing any less than 100 sq ft. I've used 135 sq ft in my car, but that includes the hatch, doors, roof, floor, trunk, firewall, sail panels, and multiple layers in some areas. and if you're looking to really quieten the interior down after all the rattles are gone from the deadener, apply some close cell foam (ensolite) over the deaden to improve it even more.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Second Skin Audio deadening sticks better, doesn't melt, it's oderless, and no asphalt! I wish I would have used this the first time around, it would of saved me a chunk of $$$, and time .
Second Skin Audio: Damplifier Pro or Damplifier , Luxury Liner Pro or OverKill Pro.

100-120 sq.ft. w/Damplifier, less w/ Damplifier Pro.
You'll want to use Luxury Liner Pro or OverKill Pro glued to Damplifier Pro or Damplifier in the doors, Sail panels, bottom of rear well, and inside rear Quarter panels, and vertical surfaces in spare tire area, 30-40 sq.ft..
For more noise reduction, spray truck bed liner or undercoating under floor pan and under rear well of car.

pm sent.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-04-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just put second skin in the beater and will be replacing all the dynamat and edead in the trans am with it. made a big difference with just 20 sq ft in the civic.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

so many mixed reviews...
Old 12-05-2010, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Ive used Fatmatt http://www.fatmat.com/ in the past for a few of my vehicles to include a Chevy 2500 Diesel lifted 4x4 that was loud as hell...It not only quieted everything on the inside (road noise, exhaust noise, etc) but also kept noise from escaping the cab (x2 JL 10w6 subs). There are sound dampeners, sound deadeners and vibration controllers. Nice thing about Fatmats product is they are both a sound deadener and dampener. No nasty smell and easy to work with. They also give you a knife and roller for the installation. They also sell underhood kits designed for extreme heat in case you wanna take it that far. Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 12-06-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scj
so many mixed reviews...
I second that.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The Second Skin Audio blah blah words
I agree!! Second skin or nothing for me...

Ive used Dynamat, Fatmat and Second Skin...

Second Skin was just better imo...
Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I have been using the Stinger Road Kill product more and more lately and actually like it better then the Dynamat stuff.
Probably want to use a bulk kit to do an entire car. Depends on whether your trying to deaden for road noise, loud exhaust, or just making an audio system sound better as to how much you really need.
Mainly to deaden road noise and loud exhaust right now but want to eventually have a decent system.

Do you sell the stuff? If so, I'll just buy from you...
Old 12-08-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
All the above. We talked a week or so ago through PM's about a system. Is this something we can talk about here or should I PM you?

If I have the car apart running wires whats a few more bolts right?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe a dumb question, I hope not...

Has anyone tried putting some insulator material on the unfinished side of their T-Top upholstered inserts? Seems like it would be simple and it's the closest area to your ears, not sure how much wind noise is still getting through the glass in the roof, though.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

99Bluz28 is on the money. Its a little more expensive, but the results are better than anything else ive tried. If you really want it to be QUIET use luxury liner over damplifier pro.
As far as bang for the buck goes raamat is pretty good.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Dunno if you have ordered but Second Skin (as I am sure everyone else has) just started xmas 10% sale...

Quick Reply: What sound deadner do you recommend and how much do I order?