Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What interior lights are supposed to light up on my '01 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What interior lights are supposed to light up on my '01 Z28

I'm conerned that some of my interior lights are not working properly.
My '01 Z28 has T-tops.
When i open the door only the dome light turns on and then fades out. I thought the Mirror lights should also turn on too and fade out... is this not true? Are there any other interior lights, like under the dash or anything?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

The mirror lights should also come on but that's it. Just two bulbs in the mirror and one in the dome. Do your lights on the mirror work when you flip the switches?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Teching In

the mirrored lights do come on when switched... but not when i open the door... odd?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Just to make sure:
- What happens when you open the hatch, do you still have the same problem?
- When you leave the key in the ignition (with the ignition off) and open the driver's door, do you hear the chime?
- Does the same thing happen when you open the driver's side and passengers side doors independently?

If yes to all of the above, then the problem is probably in your BCM. You may just have a cracked solder joint on the BCM board, etc. (That's a common thing.)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Teching In

ok, i went out to play with it and there seemed like dozens of combinations i could do, but i can answer your question:
If i remote button the hatch, the dome light comes on... only
If i end my drive and turn the car off, key in.. .no lights, once i remove the key.. dome light only. (repeat for passanger side w/ same results)
If i end my drive, turn ignition off and leave key in and open door... dome light and chime. only.
if i get in the car, close the door, put the key in (off pos.) and open the door, no chime.

Where is the BCM and is there a thread already about common problems with it?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Save the manuals!

I checked the schematic and the dome and mirror lights are wired to the BCM - so that isn't your problem. There are two wires feeding power to the lights. A white wire carries power when the dome light comes on and a blue wire w/ white stripe carries hot all the time for your on/off switches. So there must be a problem in that wire somewhere. You'll have to trace it.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Actually, the blue with white wire is hot all the time until the battery saver mode of the BCM goes into effect after about 20 minutes (to shut off the lights if you accidentally leave a door open). The white wire has variable ground controlled by the BCM to produce the theater dimming effect. The black wire at the mirror provides a constant ground for the map lights when they are switched on.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Teching In

great information. Thanks alot so far guys. Any chance you can suggest a path for that white wire? Just to narrow my search. I would assume it comes from the dome light? Or maybe it splits from the circuit going to the domelight from somewhere else?
So - where does the white wire go once it leaves the mirror?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The white wire goes from the mirror down the A pillar to the BCM. The BCM is a black box about the size of a paperback book mounted under the dash behind the glovebox. It has three connectors: green 6-pin, black 6-pin, and blue 32-pin. The white wire is in the blue connector - it's the only all-white wire in that connector (there is a white with black wire as well).
Old 02-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Teching In

That makes sence, thanks again. One follow-up question if i may:
Does that white wire also goto the dome light? This would of course make it very easy to diagnose the problem.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, both the dome light and the map lights share the variable ground on the white wire.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Teching In

finally got time to get hands on with the problem. Luckily for me it was significantly less dramatic than i expected... which is not luckily for anyone hoping to read a good story.

When I disconnected the wiring harness from the mirror to start my trace, the white wire fell out... it was dangling there, with freyed edges and its quick connect crimp pin was AWOL. So. I fixed the white wire up with a new single pin connector and plugged it back up and it works great now. Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Teching In

see photo...
Attached Thumbnails What interior lights are supposed to light up on my '01 Z28-photo.jpg