Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How do you disable OEM Anti-Theft

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How do you disable OEM Anti-Theft

am trying to eliminate the anti-theft as a the possible culprit for my car not wanting to start.

How do I shut if off? Fuse?

I thought it could be a problem with the fuel system. Well a walbro 255 and Aeromotive FPR later it still doesn't crank. FP is a constant 60psi.

Car ran fine after the install of the above said components then all of a sudden shut off on me while on the move . Hasn't cranked since.

I asked the dealer to check the service records on the vehicle when I bought it used and it had a hose for the A/C replaced and the ignition cylinder replaced in the steering column. The latter is why I think it could be the anti-theft, but not to sure which is why I want to eliminate it as a variable.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-29-2004, 11:38 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can dis-able it witha tunning program for the PCM like LS1 edit or HP tuners.
Do a search in the PCM section.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

If the security system (PASS-Key II) is malfunctioning then the "Security" light on the dash will be flashing. If the system has detected an invalid ignition key resistor pellet then the "Security" light will be on solidly. Other than that, it's safe to assume that the security system is not causing your starting problem. If in doubt, you can bypass the security system with a bypass kit available from most alarm installation shops (it's used for remote starter installations).
Old 03-01-2004, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks WhiteBird00!

Damn, I guess back to the drawing board
Old 03-01-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as bypassing the factory alarm DEI said it is as simple as key in on run press lock/unlock/lock. Or something like that can't remeber! But if the car won't start, what bypass are you using?
Old 03-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The factory alarm system is a "Content Theft Deterrent" system. It will sound the horn and/or flash the lights if somebody attempts to break into your car but it will NOT affect whether the car will start. The only security to keep the car from being stolen is the Pass-Key system that is based on checking the resistance of the pellet in the ignition key. This does have a starter and fuel pump shut down feature and it illuminates the word "Security" in the instrument panel when activated.

The lack of an integrated security system from the factory is one reason why a better aftermarket system (like one from DEI) is a good idea if you leave your car where it might be stolen or vandalized. It won't stop a pro from stealing your car but it does a good job of preventing joyrides.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=WhiteBird00]This does have a starter and fuel pump shut down feature and it illuminates the word "Security" in the instrument panel when activated.
QUOTE]

Last night when I was trying to get the car started the "security' light was on in the dash but the engine was cranking and I could hear the pump priming.

Any ideas?

I dont know, at this point I can only venture to guess there is no ignition going on.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Take it to your local GM dealer shop and have a PCM reflash done. It shouldn't cost much, and it's a fast way to eliminate the PCM.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Well it turns out it was the ignition relay.

I swapped out the ignition relay with the starter relay when I got home and as I hooked in the ignition I could hear the selonoid click. I tried to crank the car but she wouldn't turn over.

BINGO!!!

So I swapped them back again and bypassed the ignition relay.

She fired right up. I'll be going to the dealership tommorow to purchase the relay.

Thanks BluLS1Z28 and everybody else for the info and ideas.