Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Metro universal power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metro universal power antenna

Anyone use this on a 4th gen? How hard is it to install? Has it lasted?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER...item20bba678ed put one of these in a buddys a few years ago still working (00 SS)
Old 08-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

So, if you have a TA, I assume your current antenna won't go down? Have you looked at just replacing the mast? Have you tried the mineral spirits fix?

Replacing the mast is a heck of a lot less expensive and less effort. (The mineral spirits route is almost free.)
Old 08-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Launching!

I assume it would not go down for the previous owner because the mast was broke off.

If I knew the motor would last and if I could replace it without having to open the motor casing, I would.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced mine with a Metra 31" power antenna (stock height). I cut the old antenna up after removing and took the antenna-side wiring harness and cut/re-used it to make a plug-in adapter for the Metra, so if I wanted to, I could go back to stock easily.

The most difficult part of it was making an adapter. I couldn't find any locally so I had to make one from parts found at my local electronics store. Later I found that you could just buy the adapter here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k...W2RY0SEAJG8J11

I'll get some pictures of my setup tonight.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I replaced mine with a Metra 31" power antenna (stock height). I cut the old antenna up after removing and took the antenna-side wiring harness and cut/re-used it to make a plug-in adapter for the Metra, so if I wanted to, I could go back to stock easily.

The most difficult part of it was making an adapter. I couldn't find any locally so I had to make one from parts found at my local electronics store. Later I found that you could just buy the adapter here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_lpo_k...W2RY0SEAJG8J11

I'll get some pictures of my setup tonight.
I have the same issue with my 2002 T/A which one is the right adapter? help please!!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

You don't need an adapter to plug in an aftermarket power antenna to the factory antenna cable connector. The GM antenna adapters everyone sells (as shown in the posted link) are for plugging in the miniature GM antenna plug in the dash to a standard size connector in an aftermarket head unit.

You will need some sort of adapter to connect the electrical wires. I am not aware of anyone who makes such an adapter so either cut the plug off the original antenna or use crimp connectors to splice into the factory wiring.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

WhiteBord00 is right.

The stock Firebird power antenna is connected to an extension wire via a standard size connector. You don't need any adapter to just replace the power antenna. You only need an adapter if you are changing the stock headunit to an aftermarket one.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

^ have you guys ever installed a Metra 31" antenna into an F-body? I built an adapter for the antenna cable (not just the electrical connector) since the store I was at didn't have one. The GM antenna cable connector was different from the Metra antenna cable connector. There was not a snowballs chance in hell that it would fit. If you want, I will gladly show you a picture to illustrate this. We are talking about METRA brand antennas, not a Delco antenna.

Last edited by ZexGX; 09-11-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I have never checked that specific model but I've seen plenty of aftermarket AM/FM antennas and they all have a standard Motorola connector on them:

The factory antenna cable from the right quarter area to the dash behind the head unit uses that type of connector at the back and a miniature version of it at the head unit. That's why you need an adapter for an aftermarket head unit:

Old 09-12-2012, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I have never checked that specific model but I've seen plenty of aftermarket AM/FM antennas and they all have a standard Motorola connector on them:

The factory antenna cable from the right quarter area to the dash behind the head unit uses that type of connector at the back and a miniature version of it at the head unit. That's why you need an adapter for an aftermarket head unit:
I am not discussing whether or not aftermarket headunits will plug into the stock antenna wire, as that is of no relevance to this thread. I will take a picture tonight showing the adapter I had to install to simply connect the antenna, to the antenna cable.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I am not discussing whether or not aftermarket headunits will plug into the stock antenna wire, as that is of no relevance to this thread. I will take a picture tonight showing the adapter I had to install to simply connect the antenna, to the antenna cable.
Neither am I. The connector on the factory antenna cable at the back of the car where it connects to the factory antenna is the female version of the standard Motorola plug I posted in the first picture. If your Metra antenna had any type of plug other than the one shown then you got the wrong antenna. I posted the second photo because some antennas labeled as GM specific have the miniature (GM) version of the Motorola connector on the assumption that it will plug into the factory head unit directly (i.e. from the front fender without an extension cable in between). That would not be the correct antenna for an f-body but it could be used with a mini-to-standard size Motorola adapter similar to the second photo.

ALL "UNIVERSAL" AM/FM antennas that I have seen in over 30 years have the standard size Motorola connector - it's been used in US cars for over 50 years. There are specialty antennas that are designed for certain nonstandard cars such as VWs, Mercedes, and even some GM models that have "diversity" antennas (amplified multi-element antennas) but they don't apply to f-bodies.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 09-12-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by elwood2
Anyone use this on a 4th gen? How hard is it to install? Has it lasted?
I think it's called Metra... http://www.metraonline.com/

Below is what a metro is in both forms...

[IMG]

Seriously, back when I used to do a lot more electronics installs for a previous employer, we used Metra quite a bit, and I never had any complaints on installs done to F-bodies or similar GM products until it was the onstar equipped vehicles. They required up to $200+ in adapters so the car/radio wouldn't think it was being stolen while plugged into a foreign object. Don't get me started on VW electronics though.

This is the part you most likely need to adapt it:
http://www.metraonline.com/part/Afte...ntenna_40-GM10

It adapts the universal motorola connector to the mini adapter as found from Metra's site. Amazon has the part listed for $0.40.

Last edited by omgitsmikeyc; 09-12-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

I just took a picture of mine although I didn't need to. The adapter that I made (because the local car audio store didn't have it) is identical to a Female-Female Motorola connector. The harness coming out of the antenna is a male Motorola plug on about 3" of cord (the stock harness is a male Motorola connector).

Now, you may say "Well! You just bought the WRONG antenna!" However, this would be incorrect. Metra's own website specifies the exact antenna that I bought, along with an identical model that has a different colored mast (44-PW22B has a black mast, not have a stainless+chrome mast like 44-PW22). http://www.metraonline.com/part/44-PW22
The install manual is here, which clearly shows the male Motorola connector exiting the antenna: http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...NSTAW-PW22.pdf

So... This (or equivalent) is the part that is needed (for sure):
Amazon Amazon
Unless you want to run all new antenna wire, that is.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Ahhh... we're talking about a gender bender. Sorry, I thought you meant that the antenna had a completely different kind of connector on it. I don't know offhand whether my antenna cable had a male or female connector on it because I replaced it with a stealth CB antenna using PL-259 connectors. A female to female Motorola gender bender is the one in your last post on Amazon (your previous link went to a page full of different adapters). It is also available (even a little cheaper) from Parts Express, one of my favorite places to get wiring parts and accessories.

VIP1, you've done some work with antennas, did your car need a gender bender for the antenna cable?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I haven't had to replace the power antenna in my Formula yet, but I know others who have and I don't remember them needing a gender adapter. Maybe the Metra one is different than the GM in that regard or maybe the current model Metra sells is different than the one they used to sell.

However, at one point, I did install a wired FM transmitter in-line for my XM recevier (before I replaced the headunit) and it plugged right into that junction at the back, in the correct orientation (as far as I remember since that was 4 years ago) so maybe something has changed in the market from then to now to change the default gender of the antenna cable on aftermarket antennae.

I've wired a switch in-line with the power wire so mine stays down all the time. It is practically new.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-13-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

So, have you guys ever installed a Metra 31" antenna into a 4th gen F-body? Since that is the topic of this thread, and not installing headunits, XM modules, etc.. I did it four years ago using a Metra antenna that looked like it had about a years worth of dust on the packaging, so it was definitely an "older" model. And yes, the Metra one IS different than the GM one... Why do you think the documentation and all of the evidence so far clearly shows a male Motorola connector?? https://ls1tech.com/forums/10212659-post4.html

I would not be posting in this thread if dtumbl4u didn't ask for help with finding the right adapter.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The confusion came about in reference to the type of the connector and not the gender of the connector.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

I'm trying to help as well, but was also confused on what he was referencing. Plus adding some light humor made me feel better. Now if it's a connector issue, why not just cut off the connectors and hard wire it? It would solve the issue, you just need a volt meter to make sure you don't cross lines some how. Better safe than sorry.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by omgitsmikeyc
I'm trying to help as well, but was also confused on what he was referencing. Plus adding some light humor made me feel better. Now if it's a connector issue, why not just cut off the connectors and hard wire it? It would solve the issue, you just need a volt meter to make sure you don't cross lines some how. Better safe than sorry.
Why not? Perhaps because hard-wiring an antenna cable (a usually permanent feature in a street car) to a powered antenna (usually a wear-item) is not the best idea when it's time to pull the antenna out of the car for any reason (usually repair/replacement). That, and you would also need tools/supplies to solder, along with a voltmeter (not something that everybody has)... As for me personally, I wanted to keep the ability to go back to stock in case the Metra antenna sucked and I wanted to go back to GM.

Thankfully, the Metra antenna has performed wonderfully.

Quick Reply: Metro universal power antenna