Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound/Noise Insulation Idea... Pella SmartFlash

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound/Noise Insulation Idea... Pella SmartFlash

So, I see people are recommending the asphalt based roofing rolls for noise dampening.

I got to thinking and realized I was overlooking something that is even cheaper and is BETTER quality.

Instead of paying $16 for a 1.5" x 50' or whatever the dimensions of those rolls are.

What would you say to something oh say.... 3" x 150' and TWO rolls cost just over the price of ONE roofing roll.

Oh, on top of that, might I mention that it is made of aluminum backed butyl.

Mind you, it's slightly thinner than most insulators... This only comes in at 13mils.

However, for roughly $40, you can do the entire car...

Pella SmartFlash is the product.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, so where do you get it? Google isnt much help, nor is the Pella website...
Old 09-12-2011, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Whoops, my mistake. Thought I added it in there. Lowe's sells it. NOT HOME DEPOT! Home Depot doesn't carry Pella Products, only Andersen.

However, Lowe's is like $15-20/roll depending on location.

Now, if you take a quick look on eBay, you'll find the gold mine. "pella smart flash" as two words...

And I'm sitting here chuckling, there was a whole page full of results earlier.... not there's only a few left! Anyone here buy them? Lol.

You need just over 5 rolls to do one layer on the car which isn't too bad. And for the price difference, it may be worth it.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Man, that's some really thin stuff! Raammat is 60 mils :/
Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I realized that. eDead 80 is about 80mils.

Anyone have some scientific backup to show the effectiveness at different thicknesses?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this might be good for the doors though...not to thick....I did my trunk area with the Quick Roof stuff
Old 09-12-2011, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

I figured it was a viable option as a product. I'm not too knowledgeable on sound deadening, so besides mils designating the thickness, I have no idea as to how effective deadening is at X thickness.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Sound deadening works by adding mass to a surface. The science is quite simple. Take a regular metal baking tray you would use to cook french fries on... Hold it in the air and hit it with your finger. Listen to the sound it makes.

Now - cover it with a few layers of duct tape. Hold it in the same fashion - and strike it in the same manner. You should notice the sound is muffled.

This is achieved by adding mass to the metal. It reduces the vibration properties of metal.

Simple as that nothing too magic about it.

But the more dense the better.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
Sound deadening works by adding mass to a surface. The science is quite simple. Take a regular metal baking tray you would use to cook french fries on... Hold it in the air and hit it with your finger. Listen to the sound it makes.

Now - cover it with a few layers of duct tape. Hold it in the same fashion - and strike it in the same manner. You should notice the sound is muffled.

This is achieved by adding mass to the metal. It reduces the vibration properties of metal.

Simple as that nothing too magic about it.

But the more dense the better.
Simple enough. That was my initial thought. I would think that after X amount, no greater reduction would occur. You can't go negative with sound, unless you're in some other worldly vortex.

So I guess it comes down to after what thickness is there not going to be any significant gain in reduction.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

I've applied damplifier pro to my trans am. It's very dense and the results were great - but the real "sound" reduction after you've reduced vibration (the deadners job) is going to be closed cell foam.

I didn't put any foam in yet - because the carpet from classic industries had a very thick pile carpet, with a thick rubber matting, WITH key areas built up with that sound deadening material.

Quick Reply: Sound/Noise Insulation Idea... Pella SmartFlash