Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 05-20-2016, 01:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

LED turn signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LED turn signal problems

okay bought a set of LED plug and plays for the DRL's for my 99 TA.
they are the 3157 type which is same as stock. well.... i put them in and they worked great! i didnt notice til the next day that they only work as the parking light. and will not flash.

i tested my system, and stock bulbs still operate flawlessly. i noticed my reverse lights are the same size/style (not code) and they DO the same thing as the LED's (dont flash) its because they have one light source im assuming? (LED's&Reverse Lights) and the stock DRL's have two. you can see the double wire set up in the bulb.

so my question, where do i find pain-jain ultra white led bulbs that will function correctly, for not friggin' $30 a bulb.

also, in not against flashbacks. i actually want them.. but havent found a decent priced set.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have you looked into superbrightledsdotcom and vledsdotcom?

I bought a set of switchbacks from superbright and bought EL12 flashers to make it work.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Was gonna recommend switchbacks as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

used switch backs to and ordered 2 el12 but didnt have to use the el12 flashers worked without them
Old 11-20-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Camaro owners kind of get screwed out of this mod... Just doesn't look right with white turn signals/markers. -IMO.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bene

I bought a set of switchbacks from superbright and bought EL12 flashers to make it work.
ive seen vLED's havent visited the other. i didnt really want to spend 60 on turn signals, but i am going to go with the switchbacks. reason i didnt mention them is bc the fact that they are amber. i hate amber turn markers. i have halogen ones in now, they are the same color tone as stock head lights, which is the concept that i wanted to keep. (turns match head light color.) ill be installing 10k HID's in high and low beams as well as fogs over thankgiving. and found the right color LED bulbs they just wouldnt flash.... >:/ but i have to admit.... switchbacks have really grown on me since i Youtube'd em. lol i have to decided to go with a 60 tower set. i asked today at autozone about the flasher module. they said they didnt carry it? i think their retarded. im going to NAPA tomorrow and hopefully can pick up both flasher's there.

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ Was gonna recommend switchbacks as well.
i must have read your all's mind. lol

Originally Posted by 99WS-6T/A
used switch backs to and ordered 2 el12 but didnt have to use the el12 flashers worked without them
have long have you used them with out the EL12's? i think im going to go ahead and get the EL12's bc ill be putting in a sequential tail light kit soon. BTW.... will i run into any problems there? switch back front turns and sequential tails (ill probably use stock bulbs due to melting issues i've read of) with both the flasher modules being EL12's.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Launching!

I have read a number of threads on this.
Can someone just put the required pns. / kit together and post.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

okay, ebay has the flashers for $10 with a one year warranty. doing that. but i do not know one thing.... there are two units.... one for turns.... one for hazard lights. is the EL12 universal for both of those?
Old 11-20-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nowhereman
I have read a number of threads on this.
Can someone just put the required pns. / kit together and post.
exactly what set up are you refering to? just the switchbacks and all necessary hardware to hook up? ill throw a list together and post here after i get all my stuff if you want.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

here is a set of switchback bulbs, i like them for the fact that instead of amber, they are RED. lol im picky. plus you can buy the pair for $30. but im not sold yet. email the shop who sells them for functionality concerned, if they are able to put me at ease. this is the bulbs ill get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Red-Sw...item588829af49

Last edited by Numba20; 11-20-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: hyperlink
Old 11-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Okay, there are some things that are really wrong here.

First, red lights are illegal on the front of any vehicle except emergency vehicles - and believe me, it's not something the police take lightly.

Second, even if you got amber/white switchbacks, the only time they would be white is when the headlights are on - the DRLs, parking lights (without headlights) and turn signals would still be amber (BTW, white turn signals are also illegal front and back).

Third, you need either an electronic flasher or a load equalizer to make the turn signals work properly with LED bulbs. Anybody who tells you differently just doesn't realize they already have one of them installed. And the turn signal and hazard flashers are the same - just standard 2-prong flashers.

Finally, I don't even want to get started on how dumb and dangerous it is to install an HID kit in halogen reflector headlight housings. Especially those silly blue 10K ones. And HID foglights? Madness.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 11-20-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:52 PM
BS
Launching!

I have Autolumination Switchbacks and haven't had any problems so far. I also have "Keep it Clean" No Load Flashers. I only heard good things about JW Motoring Switchbacks on other forums. They claim to have had no returns due to failure of the LED and seem to have a good warranty(1year).
Look in the C5 section of the JW Motoring website and look under lighting.

They are $45 a pair and a pair of load resistors is $7. And shipping is free.

Last edited by BS; 11-21-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:13 PM
BS
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

Second, even if you got amber/white switchbacks, the only time they would be white is when the headlights are on - the DRLs, parking lights (without headlights) and turn signals would still be amber (BTW, white turn signals are also illegal front and back).

When I installed my Switchbacks from
Autolumination the Amber lights were on bright circuit when the DRLs were suppose to be on and flashed
amber-off. The amber and White lights were on when the parking lights were suppose to be on but appear to be Amber and it flashed amber-off and the white stayed on. When the headlights were on the white light were on and flashed white-amber.
I switched the blue and brown wires in the
socket. Now the white lights are on the bright circuit for the DRLs and flash white-off . The parking lights appear
white but both Amber and White are on and the
white flashes off and on and the Amber stays on. I
have all factory wiring and I've only switched
two wires in each socket. . When the headlights are
on the LEDs are amber and flash amber-white.

I live in NC and the law here specifies white or amber for the front turn signal.

Last edited by BS; 11-21-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:24 PM
BS
Launching!

Originally Posted by bene

The EL12 is an electro-mechanical turn signal
flasher. I bought them when I originally got my switchbacks and I had times when either my turn signals or flashers wouldn't work. So I went ahead and got an electronic no load flasher from Keep It Clean.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

NC General Statutes 20-129.1(7)
Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 PM
BS
Launching!

NC General Statutes 20-129.1(7)
Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
We're not talking about the side marker lamps.

Look at G.S.20-125.1. Directional signals.

(a) It shall be unlawful for the owner of any motor vehicle of a changed model or series designation indicating that it was manufactured or assembled after July 1, 1953, to register such vehicle or cause it to be registered in this State, or to obtain, or cause to be obtained in this State registration plates therefor, unless such vehicle is equipped with a mechanical or electrical signal device by which the operator of the vehicle may indicate to the operator of another vehicle, approaching from either the front or rear and within a distance of 200 feet, his intention to turn from a direct line. Such signal device must be of a type approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.

Also look at:

http://ncrules.state.nc.us/ncac.asp?...tor%20Vehicles

19A NCAC 03D .0537 DIRECTIONAL SIGNALS

(a) G.S. 20-125.1 requires all vehicles except motorcycles beginning with the 1954 models to be equipped with turn signals.
(b) Vehicles required to have signals shall be inspected and disapproved if:
(1) Signals are not present and of a type approved by the Commissioner as specified in G.S. 20-125.1. Original directional signals on vehicles manufactured after July 1, 1953, are considered to be of a type approved by the Commissioner. Such signals shall be those which will allow the operator of the vehicle to clearly show another operator approaching from a distance of 200 feet from the front or rear his intention to turn the vehicle.
(2) All lights do not operate properly, or if any lenses are broken, missing, or do not fit properly.
(3) Signal lens color is other than red or amber on the rear and other than white or amber on the front.
(4) Lamps are not securely mounted or wiring and connections are not in good condition.
(5) Signals are not visible from front or back due to faulty or damaged mounting or due to manner in which mounted.
(6) Switch is not so located as to be convenient for the driver to operate and so that its operation does not interfere with operation of other mechanisms.

Last edited by BS; 11-20-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

We're talking about the front parking/turn signals which is covered by the section I quoted: "on the front or on the side". So it would appear that the lights may be white or amber when flashing but must be amber when solidly lit. This may vary from state to state. In any case, red lights on the front are illegal all across the country.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:18 PM
BS
Launching!

We're talking about the front parking/turn signals which is covered by the section I quoted: "on the front or on the side". So it would appear that the lights may be white or amber when flashing but must be amber when solidly lit. This may vary from state to state. In any case, red lights on the front are illegal all across the country.
I agree that Red Lights as well as Blue Lights In NC are illegal unless you are a Firefighter/EMS or Police officer.(North Carolina General Statutes § 20-130.1 Use of red or blue lights on vehicles prohibited; exceptions)

My disagreement is with the statement concerning the DRL/Parking Lights and Turn Signals.

North Carolina General Statutes § 20-134 Lights on parked vehicles
(a) Whenever a vehicle is parked or stopped upon a highway, whether attended or unattended during the times mentioned in G.S. 20‑129, there shall be displayed upon such vehicle one or more lamps projecting a white or amber light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of 500 feet to the front of such vehicle...

Here's a link to the NC Safety Inspection Enforcement rules:

http://www.ncdot.org/download/dmv/CR...nforcement.pdf

19A NCAC 03D .0533 LIGHTS
5. Parking lights shall conform to the requirements of G.S. 20-134. A
vehicle shall not be approved if parking lights are not working. Parking
lights front, white or amber
, rear, red only.

Last edited by BS; 11-21-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I really don't want to get into a legal debate here because the original comment was about wanting to install red lights in the turn signals. But the lamps used to indicate a parked vehicle can just as easily be the (white) headlights. However, the front parking/running lights on an f-body fall under the category of clearance lights when the vehicle is moving and therefore must be amber. Have you ever seen a car of any make that has white running lights other than DRLs? For that matter, have you ever seen a car with white turn signals (other than people who mistakenly replaced with the wrong bulbs)?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Okay, there are some things that are really wrong here.

First, red lights are illegal on the front of any vehicle except emergency vehicles - and believe me, it's not something the police take lightly.

Third, you need either an electronic flasher or a load equalizer to make the turn signals work properly with LED bulbs. Anybody who tells you differently just doesn't realize they already have one of them installed. And the turn signal and hazard flashers are the same - just standard 2-prong flashers.

Finally, I don't even want to get started on how dumb and dangerous it is to install an HID kit in halogen reflector headlight housings. Especially those silly blue 10K ones. And HID foglights? Madness.
...... my dad is a cop.... and i know every officer in the county that i live in. got it on lock down. haha and ill do alot of adjusting trying to keep the glare to a minimum. sorry guys if i pass you. i mayve went a little overboard with it... got excited. by bad. lol and the info on the flasher problem is much appreciated. i could not find that anywhere.

Originally Posted by BS
I have Autolumination Switchbacks and haven't had any problems so far. I also have "Keep it Clean" No Load Flashers. I only heard good things about JW Motoring Switchbacks. They claim to have had no returns due to failure of the LED and seem to have a good warranty(1year).
Look in the C5 section under lighting.

They are $45 a pair and a pair of load resistors is $7. And shipping is free.
that'll save me some bucks. goo man. jumping on that! to WhiteBird00, if i did the DRL disable for day time i asked about in that ancient thread, it would apply to same extent on the switch backs too correct? w/o lights on it would flash just white? or no?

Originally Posted by BS
The EL12 is an electro-mechanical turn signal
flasher. I bought them when I originally got my switchbacks and I had times when either my turn signals or flashers wouldn't work. So I went ahead and got an electronic no load flasher from Keep It Clean.
$7-$10 the cheaper works better.... well im sold. lol

I really don't want to get into a legal debate here because the original comment was about wanting to install red lights in the turn signals. But the lamps used to indicate a parked vehicle can just as easily be the (white) headlights. However, the front parking/running lights on an f-body fall under the category of clearance lights when the vehicle is moving and therefore must be amber. Have you ever seen a car of any make that has white running lights other than DRLs? For that matter, have you ever seen a car with white turn signals (other than people who mistakenly replaced with the wrong bulbs)?
you all did do alot of tecnical talk there for a guy it doesnt even apply to. haha

Quick Reply: LED turn signal problems