Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Flexible Shielding over speaker wires/RCA cables?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flexible Shielding over speaker wires/RCA cables?

http://www.action-electronics.com/braid.htm

looking at putting this over my wires and RCA cables to rid myself of any noise. Any ideas?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just use elec tape and wire loom..should be more than enough
Old 03-06-2005, 07:42 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Metal braid is used all the time to protect harnesses from EMI/EMC. I use it in electronics going in satellites where an unprotected harness is never used. If you do not ground the harness braid at each end to the connector pin that goes to chassis ground (the electronic's chassis, not necessarily the car's) you will have wasted your time since you will just have an electrically floating cover on your wires. It has to join the grounds of the connected pieces of equipment. Doing it right takes some effort. You need to unbraid a portion at each end and roll the strands into a wire shape to join either a pin on each connector or a clamp on the equipment's chassis ground. Any gaps anywhere and you have wasted your time, you must not have any exposed wire showing for the braid to do its job.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BJM
Metal braid is used all the time to protect harnesses from EMI/EMC. I use it in electronics going in satellites where an unprotected harness is never used. If you do not ground the harness braid at each end to the connector pin that goes to chassis ground (the electronic's chassis, not necessarily the car's) you will have wasted your time since you will just have an electrically floating cover on your wires. It has to join the grounds of the connected pieces of equipment. Doing it right takes some effort. You need to unbraid a portion at each end and roll the strands into a wire shape to join either a pin on each connector or a clamp on the equipment's chassis ground. Any gaps anywhere and you have wasted your time, you must not have any exposed wire showing for the braid to do its job.

All my electronics are grounded (mounted directly onto with metal to metal and with screws) to the chassis of the car (except for the head unit which is grounded through a ground strap).

So if I cover all my wires I could just connect the ends of the wrap to the body of the electronics right?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:38 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
So if I cover all my wires I could just connect the ends of the wrap to the body of the electronics right?

That is what you want to do. Just make sure no gaps exist.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

It's good stuff. BUT quality equipment and interconnects do not whine.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BJM

Perfect Explanation. I work on some satelites (military) and they are sheilded in this manner. Signal loses are of a major concern and 0.1 dB can drop you out.

I would get some shrink tubing, solder the connection to the outside part of the RCA's, and shrink it. Done and the braid won't unravel and poke ya. Could also ground the Radio(HU) chasis to the Amps chasis to further promote a good reference ground. Now you will also have a great reference signal, and might also hear an increase in S/N and sound quality. (if you can't hear it then it will most definitly be measureable)

Amp's (transistors) work by amplifying the difference from the signal wire(center) based against the reference signal (ground). This is why balanced signals are so much better.

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
It's good stuff. BUT quality equipment and interconnects do not whine.
Mostly true. Car Electrical systems are truely finiky at best. Ground is always a problem. Most of the time it keeps it's head down, but it rear's it's nastly prob's from time to time.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have noise now!!????
Old 03-07-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Do you have noise now!!????

a little.....it's mostly in the center speaker (mounted where the defrost vent was in the dash)......the speaker wire passes loads of power wires (unavoidable) as it moved up inside the dash and as a spin up the alt (RPM) I get that "turbine sound"......its not a "big deal" but its like the paint chip that nobody can see.....I know its there.....

I don't have any noise into the RCA cables (I don't think).....my only noise is:

a: I have a very low kind of "hiss" (hiss isn't really right but I don't know how else to say it) in my tweeters when the system is ON but not playing any music

b: the "turbine" I get when the system is OFF

when I did my install, I did my best to solve "power induced" noise (ie: don't run power next to speaker wires) by pulling ALL the old speaker wires out and re-running new (and larger) wires (and my RCA cables) down the tranny tunnel under the carpet (my power wire is on the passengers side door frame under the panel and the batt is in the spare tire hatch)......its just that damn center.....
Old 03-07-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

That hiss is an indicator of your S/N level of your amp if it is turned up. Does it do it with the volume turned down?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

That hiss is an indicator of your S/N level of your amp if it is turned up. Does it do it with the volume turned down?

well that got rid of the hiss.......thats odd though.....only had it on about 2/3s power.....oh well...thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

well that got rid of the hiss.......thats odd though.....only had it on about 2/3s power.....oh well...thanks
You are talking about the Gains right? I did forget to add that over gaining an Amp will also cause the same type of hissing. Bascially you start amplifying the noise more.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

You are talking about the Gains right? I did forget to add that over gaining an Amp will also cause the same type of hissing. Bascially you start amplifying the noise more.

yeah....I had the gain up at about 2/3s......pulled it down to about 1/3 and it cleared up the "hiss"
Old 03-13-2005, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.action-electronics.com/braid.htm

looking at putting this over my wires and RCA cables to rid myself of any noise. Any ideas?

For people that have searched and found this....

If the gain issue does not clear it up...Try running the preamp cable on the opposite side of the +12v wire. Of course you always want to use a high quality wire (such as stinger) to start out with.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
stinger

"stringer" ?
Old 03-13-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its a brand of cables....the best actually

http://www.stingerelectronics.com
Old 03-13-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Its a brand of cables....the best actually

http://www.stingerelectronics.com
well learn something new every day.......