Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

So what's the current state of the Sirius vs XM battle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what's the current state of the Sirius vs XM battle?

I just got myself a new CD player.....uh, and a new shift **** .....and now I am wondering which to go with. I got this head unit (Alpine CDA-9855) at Sound Advice, and they definitely favor Sirius over XM, although I am not sure if they even sell XM. Anyways, with this head unit I just need that tuner thingy to make the Sirius work. Lately I have been hearing more people leaning towards Sirius, and I checked out their 3 day free online streaming, and so far I like what I am hearing.

So if I go with Sirius, from everyone's experience on here, where should I mount the antenna? I heard that you can use the sticky tape version and just smack that bad boy on the roof, as small as they are now compared to when they first came out, that's not really a bad thing anymore. Others put them on the dashboard, others on "lip" of the trunk that's visible when you open the trunk, others again under the rear spoiler.

As can be seen in this picture, I have a Camaro...so where is the best place to mount the antenna, and where does the tuner usually go?

Thanks in advance!

Manny
Old 12-13-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I've had Sirius for a couple of months now and so far it seems alright. A buddy of mine has XM and the signal for his cuts out at least 3X more than mine does. Anyway, I mounted my antenna like you said, got double sided tape and slapped it just infront of the rear hatch glass on top. See picture... I'm not sure where they install the tuners though, I'm running on a different setup.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey man who put in your deck, and what kinda adapter kit is that? because in my camaro the aftermarket deck stuck out?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the pic man.... I'll probably land up doing it there too, seems to be the best way to go for maximum recpetion.

Sound Advice put in my deck, I have no clue what brand that is.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Well I work for Tweeter etc ( owns Sound advice ) and its probably a American International dash kit. We used to use Metra which seemed to have better quality but I guess they got a better deal through AI.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both XM and sirius.. and by far sirius is way better than xm. if i could take the xm out of the truck id do it but oh well. i have the sirius antenna mounted on my dash its pretty good there cuts out under over passes but im not gonna complain. i dont like the "remote control car" look on top of the car
Old 12-14-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm...I think I would prefer having the antenna on the dashboard too....then again, I don't want to have a cable running over it....where did you hide yours?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

cable goes down the dash its mounted on the right side you dont see the wires. sirius unit is mounted in glove.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen people put their antenna right in front of the windshield next to the wiper blades. That's probably what I will do when I get mine. I'll see if I can find some pics.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thaar
I've seen people put their antenna right in front of the windshield next to the wiper blades. That's probably what I will do when I get mine. I'll see if I can find some pics.

Yeah, that sounds like a good place for it as well. It's not like my car sees much in the way of rain....that's what my truck is here for. Hmm...so many places to consider

I am getting excited to finally get it installed and trying it out, too bad I most likely won't get any reception in the garage, for some reason I like listening to music there.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

with sirius you can get online and listen to it on your computer. i have a computer in the garage too with speakers attached. my sirius subscription is getting its use, i use it here at work too
Old 12-14-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SVC707
with sirius you can get online and listen to it on your computer. i have a computer in the garage too with speakers attached. my sirius subscription is getting its use, i use it here at work too
Do you know at what bitrate they play online? The 3 day trial on their website was only 34 kbits/s
Old 12-14-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah same i just checked its 34k
Old 12-14-2005, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

XM has had the same thing for awhile (XM Online). I have my media server hooked up to speakers throughout my house and run it 24/7.

EDIT: Also, you can listen at up to 64k with XM Online.

I've had XM for about 4 years now and I've always thought it was better than Siruis, though lately it's getting pretty close.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

xm charges extra to listen online. but it puts you at the same price as sirius
Old 12-14-2005, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

xm charges extra to listen online. but it puts you at the same price as sirius
No they don't - part of the subscription. They used to do that a while back, but since they went to 12.99/mo it's included as is O&A (which I couldn't care less about).
Old 12-14-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the 34kbit doesn't sound too bad, although, 192 would have been nice. But I sure can get some nice use out of it that way. My car, which is the one getting the Sirius, is not being driven all that often, which is why I have been holding back on getting any kind of satellite radio, but since I can listen to it online, at least I'll get my money worth after all. Just listening to the radio for only 40 mins a day over the weekend would not have justified the cost of getting it, or the monthly charge.

I think I'll go with Sirius, I like their music selection better I think since I am more of a hits kinda guy, not some of that off the wall stuff that XM with their "deeper" music selection plays.

Manny
Old 12-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks for making this thread. It got me to seriously shopping between the two systems. I think for me, Sirious might be the better choice because they have English Soccer on it. Both cover my type of music (punk, ska, indie rock, et.) so yeah.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by steele
No they don't - part of the subscription. They used to do that a while back, but since they went to 12.99/mo it's included as is O&A (which I couldn't care less about).
ah dint know they charged that much now im still on my free subscription
Old 12-15-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah dint know they charged that much now im still on my free subscription
Free subscription? Dare I ask?