Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Has anyone filled the hollow spaces with some type of expanding foam??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 12:18 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Has anyone filled the hollow spaces with some type of expanding foam??

Has anyone considered filling the a-pillars, b-pillars etc with some type of expanding foam or sound deadener? It would make sense to fill any hollow areas with some type of sound deadening.

I don't want to be the first guy that squirts 'great stuff' into their car and finds out that it has some bad consequences.

**** it works for the F-150s...lol
Old 01-07-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not a bad idea but your probably better off putting some sound deading material under the carpet and in the doors. Something like dynamat or eDead
Old 01-07-2006, 02:39 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I've done under the carpeting with a dynamat type sound deadener. I haven't done the doors yet because I plan on doing the speakers, window motors and window tint at the same time as sound deadening them.

I just read that to decrease road noise, you're better adding a carpet padding type material, so I may hit up the depot and see what they got. I guess it couldn't hurt to add another layer of padding under the carpeting. I was just wondering what to do with the area behind the sail panels. I may stuff it with some fiberglass insulation.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used some great stuff foam in between the outer & inner skins in the sail panel area. It was a nervous experience knowing how strong that stuff can expand. But no problems from it, I just took it real slow & did it over the course of a few days since my car was down for a while. I used all kinds of types of fibers in the a pillars, roof, & other areas. Overall, no problems from it. I really couldn't say how much it helped, because I did too many things at once to single out the great stuff.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

My neighbor has a stereo shop and he uses it. One day we were talking about a problem I was having and he suggested it. He said there are two different kinds and one of them you don't want to use because it expands so much and is so strong it can make a bulge in the metal. He said that one guy that came in had a nice "hump" on his trunk lid from using the wrong foam and when it expanded and dried it was hard as a rock. I've used the right foam but I can't remember what it was called but I think they came in two different color cans. I'll look for the can and post up which one I used. Once it dried it was still pretty pliable
Old 01-07-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have used “great stuff” to solve rattles and squeaks.
Just make sure you never have to get behind that panel because removing it is not fun.
That stuff expands A LOT so be careful with how much you apply.
I’ve also used it cut down on panel flexing with high SPL applications but for sound dampening and/or suppression I use dynamat.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the A pillars are filled with foam to an extent already. I've taken them apart before.....with a saw!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

I used the expanable foam in my Cadillac when I was competing nationally in IASCA many moons ago. It was great. After it dried I covered the area with Dynamat and you could not hear a thing outside. Makes for a great combo.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

what you want is the flexible kind of expandable foam thats meant for use on door and window frames. when it cures its not rock hard like the other stuff. i used it in my spoiler and decklid, pretty much filled them up and it didnt bulge or distort anything. i kind of regret doing it, cause that stuff aint ever coming out...
Old 01-09-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

For under the carpet, I have heard that a 1/2" sheet of closed-cell Volara foam rubber on top of the sound deadening works well. Here's a link: http://www.foamorder.com/closedcell.html
Old 01-11-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

One trick I used that really cut back on road noise is to stuff alot of carpet padding behind the sail panel speaker panels. There are two compartments. After lining much of them with edead I then stuffed them with carpet padding. It helped alot.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

ill let u guys in on a little secret taht works wonders and isnt hard for removal.......... which i have seen tried and tested...... Try stuffing pillows or pillow sacks full of pollyfill behind metal and plastic panels after dynamating it.

Quick Reply: Has anyone filled the hollow spaces with some type of expanding foam??