Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best way to route power wire for amp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to route power wire for amp?

what is the best way to do this? i have heard that behind the pcm is a good spot but i dont wanna do it there. is there any holes in the firewall? how is everyone else doing it? thanks
Old 02-20-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

the only factory firewall holes i know of are the grommet behind the PCM. that is a cer common spot. that is how mine is done. otherwise, i think u are stuck drillin a hole urself
Old 02-21-2006, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

I, too used the existing hole in the firewall behind the pcm. From what I have read alot of people use this. It is on the same side as the battery (convienient) and is large enough to pass any guage wire through. (practical)
Just curious why you don't want to use that particular one?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ded71
I, too used the existing hole in the firewall behind the pcm. From what I have read alot of people use this. It is on the same side as the battery (convienient) and is large enough to pass any guage wire through. (practical)
Just curious why you don't want to use that particular one?
im fixin to be installing an amp also and i was wanderin how do you gain access to the hole? do i have to move the whole pcm out of the way? also where does this hole lead to in the car? i mean where at in the car is the wire gonna be when i stick it through the hole? thanks!
Old 02-21-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is/are like one or two small bolts holding the top of the pcm down, Undo the bolt/s and the whole pcm can be maneuvered out of the way.
The hole will come into the car just under the glove box.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^ what they said. It really is easier than it sounds. Two bolts and it moves easily.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation

The only other place I can think of other than behind the PCM is the harness on the driver's side (where I ran my 8-gauge amp wire):

"Open the hood and look at the firewall, all the way towards the driver side fender, below the driver's windshield wiper. You will see a large black 2" x 3" wiring harness that passes through the firewall which is secured by a nut along the top edge. You can drill a hole just off the lower left corner of this connector from the inside of the car. Start under the dash by removing the lower rear plastic panel (a couple of screws and a panel popper) that passes between the clutch (if any) and brake pedals.

Locate the large connector and using a razor knife, trim away any of the black plastic covering the area where you will drill. Don't worry about neatness as this will be hidden by the plastic panel you removed earlier. Then use a spring loaded center punch to create a small dent to locate your drill bit. Be sure you punch far enough from the connector to allow the hole saw to clear the connector. Also be sure the hole is big enough to fit the wires or hoses which will pass through. It's best to wear safety glasses while drilling as metal shavings will be flying. Tape a newspaper to the firewall to catch the metal shavings which pass though the hole. Once you get a satisfactory hole, cleanup and replace the plastic panel."

PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF GOING THIS ROUTE!!!! I damaged a few wires while drilling the hole and wound up having the car towed to an electrical shop to repair the damage.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

FYI, I didn't remove the PCM, just poked a hole in the grommet from the inside and pushed the wire through until I could reach it in the engine compartment, I was done in under 5 minutes. I don't recommend trying it this way if you aren't flexible as you have to contort yourself somewhat to get it done.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great information, I think I will move the PCM, and go that way with the install. Thanks for the great information all!

Quick Reply: Best way to route power wire for amp?