Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Ipod-XM-CDChanger-Factory Head Unit: I want it all

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Ipod-XM-CDChanger-Factory Head Unit: I want it all

I am trying to figure out what options I have to hook up my Ipod, XMroady, and still maintain use of my 12disc CD Changer.

I have a 2000 Camaro with the AM/FM/Cassette head unit.

I am thinking of using this P.I.E. X3 audio input device along with necessary adaptor picture on the lower right: http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...e/html/X3.html

It should allow me to retain use of my cd changer while using the provided remote to toggle between XM and Ipod.

Anyone have any experience with this setup? I've read through and seen some of your setups with Ipods, and Pioneer XMradios, but hadn't seen anyone hardwiring BOTH Ipod and XMradio.

If anyone has did they use this method?

What I'd -really like- to do is be able to hardwire these two components, while retaining my CDchanger AND have the XM/Ipod powered independent of the AC/Cigarette adaptors. I know you can setup XM or IPod to do this, but I believe you lose the use of your CDchanger in doing so. Any clues on this??? Can I have all 3 powered and useable without AC adaptors...anyone make a product like this?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Banned

Why don't you head down to your local walmart and pick up a radio ipod adapter for 30 bucks then you can just use an xm road kit and you wouldn't have to buy anything costly and it'd be a breeze to install....Thats just me though
Old 03-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Banned

Link: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4213101
Link: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3661257
Check em out
Old 03-01-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I've been using that for over a year now, and I'm tired of all the wires, spotty reception(live in hilly Bay Area) and other annoyances. I really want to clean things up and have my XM RoadyXT and Ipod mounted nicely with minimal/no wires showing, FM adaptors, tape deck adaptors, AC adaptors(the one I will live with to have all of my players function).

Anyone with XMRoadyXT, feel free to show how you mounted it. Ipod guys too, looking for neat, clean, and functional.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Launching!

You could get the audiovox xpress unit which has a aux inout built in that you could plug the ipod into and use the fm modulator from it. But I believe audiovox will be coming out with a new connection soon which basically allow give any car an aux input. Im jsut not sure of all the specs on it yet.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for posting, but I am going to do away with any FM Modulation. It works poorly and I'm tired of all the additional wires/devices.

I am trying to streamline my setup. The PIE X3 I have pictured above would be hidden behind the dash/resting ontop of the old headunit. With minimal wires coming from behind the dash to the respective Ipod and XM units.

I want to minimize that even further with a unit that will allow me to do what the X3 does AND also power the XM and Ipod, but it is unclear wether such a device exists.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never used one but I have a pretty good knowledge of electronics and the input selector looks pretty good to me. I'm in your situation right now. I want XM but keep the stock head unit and FM modulation is out. No since in paying for digital radio if your not going to hook it up properly. Of course the best way would be to get an aftermarket radio that is XM ready.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
Thanks for posting, but I am going to do away with any FM Modulation. It works poorly and I'm tired of all the additional wires/devices.

I am trying to streamline my setup. The PIE X3 I have pictured above would be hidden behind the dash/resting ontop of the old headunit. With minimal wires coming from behind the dash to the respective Ipod and XM units.

I want to minimize that even further with a unit that will allow me to do what the X3 does AND also power the XM and Ipod, but it is unclear wether such a device exists.
The X3 is about your only option for connecting more than one auxiliary device and still retaining the factory changer. If you had only one auxiliary device (XM or iPod) you could use the AUX-BOX with its changer pass-thru port and be able to switch devices using the CD/Play button (AUX button on Camaro) if you "upgraded" to an 01 or 02 factory head unit. The 2000 model isn't capable of controlling more than one external device.

As far as hardwiring your devices...you can get the UNI-POD universal iPod adapter from PIE that will both charge the iPod and provide RCA output to connect to the X3. It could be mounted behind the dash and only have the one cable routed to the iPod. The Roady only needs a 3.5mm stereo plug to RCA plug adapter cable for the audio but you need a 12V to 6V transformer for the power. Radio Shack used to make one that could be hardwired into your car but they don't carry it anymore. The easiest way would be to buy a universal cigarette socket, wire it behind the dash someplace, then plug in the Roady adapter and route the wire alongside the audio cable to where you have the Roady mounted.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered the X3, adaptor, and a real nice leather mounting plate. Should have everything here by the end of next week. I'll post up some pics of the install and let everyone know how well it works in case anyone else here is looking at doing something similar in the future.