Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Who has a remote start on their car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Who has a remote start on their car?

Did you get it installed or you installed them yourself? Where/what store/brand does sell this thing?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have one, but would like to find one that lets me use the original keyless entry fob somehow...wonder if thats possible? Ron
Old 07-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Restricted User

I have one, along with an aftermarket keyless entry / alarm that I installed myself.

I would say though, that if you are no familiar with the following terms off the top of your head, then you're not ready to tackle this type of project.

- multimeter
- ohms
- ground
- relay
- constant power, switched power

it's not very difficult if you take your time, and are familiar with basic electronics. It's alot more involved then swapping a head unit or a speaker.

if you have any specific questions, fire away.

mike
Old 07-07-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its not too difficult like mike said. If you run into problems you can always post up and get a response.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to install a remote start system into my Trans AM, but I have an M6/Manual Trans.

I know of the dangers of trying to remote start the car with the car is gear!

I've heard of somehow adding a saftey sensor to the transmission to detect if its in gear or not, then of course, cut off the remote if in gear. I also heard of a simular saftey switch to be added to the parking brake.

I havnt been able to find anything like that - any ideas or pointers on doing this in an M6??
Old 07-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Restricted User

there are or were some remote starts that could handle a m6. A Clifford g4 series intellistart for example.

basically, the way it works, is you come to a stop after driving the car, leaving it in neutral, you then press a button on your remote before turning the car off. When you turn the car off, it actually will remain running, even after removing the key. It will stay running while you exit the car, close the door, and finally shuts off when you arm the alarm. This way, the alarm knows that there is no way you left it in gear. If you dissarm the car and open the door, or if someone triggers the alarm, remote start is disabled until you go through that sequence again.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Worst case you can install a merc switch on the Ebrake. There are some things to consider before you do this sort of installation on an fbody. The vats system needs to be bypassed, and you need to perform a "bcm wakeup".

as far as alarm systems, I personaly advise the viper 791 or clifford matrix 3.5. (same thing).
Old 07-08-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks! Thats an interesting idea of Cliffords. I'll check it out.

My tuning software will allow me to disable VATS, but I didnt realize about a "BCM wakeup". What is that for?
Old 07-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You don't really need a separate switch for the parking brake - there is already a grounding switch there for the dash warning light. Just tap into the wire at that switch and connect it to your remote start if it has an override wire that requires ground or through a relay if the remote start requires a power signal.

If your M6 has a well adjusted parking brake then you don't need any other safety connections. Test you parking brake by pulling it full on with the car idling and then let up the clutch without giving it any gas. The car should stall if the brake is properly adjusted. Then make sure you buy a remote starter with an RPM monitor circuit that will quit trying if the engine doesn't reach idle RPMs in a certain amount of time (most quality remote starters have this). You won't have to worry about the car moving if you accidentally leave it in gear because the remote starter will give up when it can't start the engine and the parking brake will hold the car in place. I've done this on a couple of manual transmission cars and it works fine.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You don't really need a separate switch for the parking brake - there is already a grounding switch there for the dash warning light. Just tap into the wire at that switch and connect it to your remote start if it has an override wire that requires ground or through a relay if the remote start requires a power signal.

If your M6 has a well adjusted parking brake then you don't need any other safety connections. Test you parking brake by pulling it full on with the car idling and then let up the clutch without giving it any gas. The car should stall if the brake is properly adjusted. Then make sure you buy a remote starter with an RPM monitor circuit that will quit trying if the engine doesn't reach idle RPMs in a certain amount of time (most quality remote starters have this). You won't have to worry about the car moving if you accidentally leave it in gear because the remote starter will give up when it can't start the engine and the parking brake will hold the car in place. I've done this on a couple of manual transmission cars and it works fine.

absolutely false. Ive tested this on numerous cars. Every single one will jump forward on each start..
Old 07-08-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
Thanks! Thats an interesting idea of Cliffords. I'll check it out.

My tuning software will allow me to disable VATS, but I didnt realize about a "BCM wakeup". What is that for?
after your doors are closed and ign is off, the bcm waites 40ish seconds and shuts off. WHen this happens you cant unlock the doors with an aftermarket keyless entry. Its just a matter of wiring a relay to the RAC (retained accessory power) which you can grab behind the stereo, and wiring that to your door trigger, which will wake up the alarm. Ill see if i can find the diagram for you.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Due To Accessory Power Loss At The Body Control Module (BCM) Power Door Locks Will Become Inoperable 35 Seconds After Last Door Is Closed Upon Exiting The Vehicle. The BCM Will Remain Without Power Until Either Door Is Opened Which "Wakes Up" The BCM. This Situation Can Be Resolved Simply By Sending A Negative Pulse To The GRAY/BLACK Driver Door Trigger Input Wire In The 32 Pin Blue Connector At The BCM At The Same Time As The ORANGE/BLACK Unlock Wire. . *** OEM Arm Not Known At This Time. OEM Alarm Must See Correct Resistor Across VATS Wires And 12 VDC (+) On PINK Ignition Wire Within 8 Seconds Of Opening Door To Disarm Alarm.
there ya go
Old 07-08-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have remote start on my car. Its an older model of clifford, a clifford Solaris G4. I had Frys do the work but now that I think of it, I really wish I would've done it. My review would be that it a nice little option. I hardly use as much as I thought I would when I was looking into an alarm.But it is something girls will be amazed by. Haha . My cars also an A4, so I dont have the left in gear start up problem. But even when I do grab an M6, I'll still consider having remote start.

Hey Mike or 2muchRice, would any of you have a basic write up on how to install alarms on cars or better yet on Fbodies? I do plan on buying a Clifford Matrix 3.5 and installing it myself some time down the line, but I really wanna "wet my feet" in some reasearch before I begin yanking out my old alarm. I've alays liked working on my own car, cuase at least I know I wont half *** it. Frys kind of did with my alarm.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Restricted User

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/alarm96up.htm

some stuff is a little out of date with regards to 99+, but overall, it's a good guide.

mike
Old 07-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
absolutely false. Ive tested this on numerous cars. Every single one will jump forward on each start..
I hate to disagree with you but your car will not move if left in gear with a properly adjusted parking brake. Sure, it will rock a little as the starter tries to turn over the engine. The starter motor just isn't powerful enough to overcome the weight of the car and the resistance of the brake being applied. Try it yourself - sit in your car with the brake applied and let up the clutch without giving it any gas. The car will stall. If the engine doesn't produce enough power at idle to move against the brake then obviously the starter motor doesn't either.

Note: many (if not most) cars don't have the parking brake properly adjusted.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Teching In

I hate to disagree with you but your car will not move if left in gear with a properly adjusted parking brake. Sure, it will rock a little as the starter tries to turn over the engine. The starter motor just isn't powerful enough to overcome the weight of the car and the resistance of the brake being applied. Try it yourself - sit in your car with the brake applied and let up the clutch without giving it any gas. The car will stall. If the engine doesn't produce enough power at idle to move against the brake then obviously the starter motor doesn't either.

i had best buy install my viper 791 alarm, but they would not install the remote start on an M6 due to the obsios safety implications, so i tipped they installer 20 bucks, and asked him to pre wire the setup for me, so when i go home, i can connect a few wires myself and i would have a remote start feature. of course i had to test the myth to see if my car would do donuts in the parking lot when started in gear, and just as i predicted my *properly adjusted* handbrake prevented the vehicle from moving. of course it jerked when it attempted to start the engine, and im sure this is not good for the starter, but no movement. so thats that!
Old 07-10-2006, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Mike.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:17 AM
Teching In

I have a Z06, the parking brake is not adjustable and it sucks. There is no way I can even leave the car parked not in gear and expect it to be where I left it when I return. No remote start for me.

Dog
Old 07-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by meldog21
I have a Z06, the parking brake is not adjustable and it sucks. There is no way I can even leave the car parked not in gear and expect it to be where I left it when I return. No remote start for me.

Dog
Who told you that your parking brake isn't adjustable? They have both automatic and manual adjustment. To do the automatic adjustment just pull up the brake handle all the way and release it completely three times in a row. Unfortunately, that doesn't always work as well as it should.

The manual adjustment calls for a special tool (J21177-A) that is essentially an inside and outside micrometer (only much larger of course). You remove the brake rotor and measure the inside diameter of the parking brake drum with one end of the tool. Then you put the outer measurement points of the tool over the parking brake shoe and adjust the clearance using the adjustment nut. Once adjusted you just reinstall the rotor and run through the automatic adjustment procedure to take up any slack in the cable.

Now that was the service manual procedure. I'm sure that it can also be done by trial-and-error while the rotor is still on the car (i.e. tighten the adjuster until it holds firmly then release and make sure it doesn't drag). It may be less accurate that way but a lot quicker and easier.