Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone install a satellite radio on a t-top 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone install a satellite radio on a t-top 4th gen?

Hey guys,

I just picked up a satellite radio, and the antenna doesn't stick to the roof as expected. Have you guys come up with any good solutions to this problem? I wonder if the signal will be good if I just mount it on the windshield in front of the rearview mirror.... Thanks in advance.

--
Fikret
Old 12-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The roof isn't metal so you need to use two-sided tape instead of the built-in magnet. Common installation locations are the bar between the t-tops, the top of the hatch glass, on the dash, or inside the rear spoiler (the plastic doesn't block much signal).
Old 12-20-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I stuck my XM receiver on the black plastic part above the end of the drivers side wiper blade. I have no issues with tuning.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

http://www.fadingarrow.com/XMSatelliteRadio.htm
Old 12-20-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

i put mine under the black plastic windshield cowl on the passenger side.

if you go that route, just make sure you dont place it where that wire mesh is over it. works perfect.

heres where NOT to put it:
http://pics.montypics.com/badhoopty/...70072_copy.jpg
i originally had it there and got real spotty reception, i moved it a few inches more to the left out of the way of the wire mesh and it works perfect.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:30 AM
TECH Addict

I ditched the ugly 'bump on a frog' supplied antennae and went with a Terk Amplified thru the glass antennae. It's mounted in the center top of my hatch glass.

Antennae sticks to the glass on outside, there is a matching part that sticks on the glass directly behind it, and I ran the wires thru the headliner and down the PS A-Pillar to the radio.

The amplified version picks up much better even when surrounded by tall buildings in town or in a valley between mountains while driving.

-Jay-
Old 12-21-2006, 06:40 AM
On The Tree

Do any of you guys have your satellite radio connected via the XMDirect adapter, the one that goes right to your headunit. I have XMDirect hooked up to my HU (Excelon 890), and I set the display to show the channel, artist name, and song title.... and it keeps on flashing "Waiting" then the channel name, "Waiting" then the artist name, etc... I mean, it works and sounds great and all.. but that bugs me a little that it keeps flashing "Waiting" like that.

Anyone know what the problem may be????
Old 12-21-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey 1QUIKWS6...can you post where you got that amplified terk ant???? I have XM in my Jeep, and I want to be set up in the TA so that I can just toss the reciever in and use it in either car. But I hate running wires from the outside to the inside. The ant you have sounds like it would be perfect for what I want to do. Thanks for any info you can provide!!

Justin
Old 12-21-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

PM'd ya the info...

-Jay-
Old 12-21-2006, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Had some time this morning; I ended up installing it right behind the rearview mirror for now. I used the suction mount that came with the kit, but fabbed up a steel plate on there so I could use the magnetic feature of the antenna to make it stay. Right now, it sits perfectly flat, and seems to have a good all-around view out the windshield but I still get pretty crappy reception. The funny thing is though, the signal gets worse when the car is moving, and when I stop it gets better. Also, the clarity is much better when the car is turned off and not running. I wonder what may be causing this...
Old 12-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by fa63
Had some time this morning; I ended up installing it right behind the rearview mirror for now. I used the suction mount that came with the kit, but fabbed up a steel plate on there so I could use the magnetic feature of the antenna to make it stay. Right now, it sits perfectly flat, and seems to have a good all-around view out the windshield but I still get pretty crappy reception. The funny thing is though, the signal gets worse when the car is moving, and when I stop it gets better. Also, the clarity is much better when the car is turned off and not running. I wonder what may be causing this...
Using the built-in wireless FM modulator will cause the symptoms you describe - clarity and static problems particularly when moving. Switch to a hardwired connection (wired modulator or changer port adapter) and that problem should go away.

Because the satellite signal is digital, it won't fade in and out like normal radio. The signal strength will vary but the radio will play the same until the signal gets weak enough that it just cuts out totally. You can switch the display to the signal strength meter and drive around to see how much the signal is changing and how good a signal you're getting with the antenna in its current position.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

i put mine on the middle of my hood cuz i dont care
Old 01-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Launching!

I put mine in this location, just in the left hand corner with double side tape, works perfect. Out of sight, out of mind

Old 01-12-2007, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toofless916
i put mine on the middle of my hood cuz i dont care

haha...oh wow

Quick Reply: Anyone install a satellite radio on a t-top 4th gen?