Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this mod to work on a pontiac radio with the ribbon cable with out splicing into the ribbon cable and i can leave the cable plugged into the phone port and still have sound
Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by vw86gti
Hey..found this thread through a google search. Great info here.

So I tried this on my 2004 silverado with this stock deck

There is one 14 pin connector going to the cd player (13 black wires, one white). I figured this was the right connector, so I spliced in the 1st and 3rd wires with the adapter I made via this thread, but no dice. Didn't work.

I thought I may have done the wrong side, so I patched up the wires and spliced in the 1st and 3rd wires on the other side of the connector.

No dice.

Ground is good, connections are good.

Anyway.

There is another connector that goes to the CD player. 8 or 9 pin I think. 8 White wires, one black.

Could this possibly be the audio? I tried the 14 pin because it looked like the one in the first post. But my deck is quite a bit different on the inside.

Anyway, I may try splicing into the other connector tomorrow if I can't get an answer, it can't hurt.

If any of you have tried this with a 2004 Silverado with that particular deck any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!
I have this same 2005 HU. Did you find which are the left and right audio wires to splice into?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Teching In

Another sucess story in an 02 Z28 with big thanks to Jason.

!!!!!!Jason, YOU DA MAN!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 AM

Has anyone been successful with modifying a 2005 HU? I have tried to locate the audio signal coming from the cd player but without success.

There is a 14 wire lead and a 9 wire lead. I have tried the grounding test but keep reseting the cd drive. I am concerned with damaging something. Also tried the powered speaker test without success.

I have the switch ready to install and would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Launching!

It should be the wire going between the CD module and the main board. I wonder if it's how you were testing? You say powered speaker - but if you're hooking up a regular speaker it may not have the power to drive it. I would try the modified headphone test - ground one wire and then touch the other to each wire on the connector, you can usually access the contacts without having to make any modifications/unplugging anything
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Just did this on my 98 Camaro easy as could be aside from almost stripping too much from one of the wires.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Teching In

CD logic board, and mainboard header ID's will be different, of course...

Thanks Mr. Novak; just did this mod for the second time here, this time on my ZR1, with front panel port mounting (old post bookmarked a few years ago - found it again here, after some Googling ! )

The light carrier needed milling to allow front panel mount, and STILL carries light to the cassette right side guide port.

ZR1 here...

I made sure to give credit as well, after linking on the other vette boards.

I'm now working on (unless you've found this since), how to wire in the power by-pass, as well as the SIGNAL by-pass, such that the optical disk drive does NOT have to be powered up.

Have you solve this one??? No progress here just yet...

AND WHERE DO YOU MOUNT THE Flux Capacitor???

Last edited by Blade_1; 02-28-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chevy tape deck is waaaay different than all of the pictures taken here....... Please help with which wire harness to tap into.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Name:  20130301_071034_zps5c2ae591.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  20130301_071023_zpse5520d7b.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  83.0 KB

I want to go back with my original head unit because it look/flows so much better than my aftermarket one.

Please point out which harness I need to tap into... Searched all over the interwebz and cannot find anything on the chevy tape deck.

Thanks

Last edited by Blownbayou; 03-01-2013 at 07:12 AM. Reason: better pictures
Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Launching!

I initially looked into going into the radio to avoid the spinning disc, but the CD was a lot easier. Not sure if it's possible to do it without actually playing a CD. I know for example you can't tap into the external CD changer L/R channels without having a CD changer connected because they actually have to talk each other to pass along the audio. Never really looked at a wiring diagram for the connector, but looking yours I suspect it's the simple situation over the data lines

Originally Posted by Blade_1
CD logic board, and mainboard header ID's will be different, of course...

Thanks Mr. Novak; just did this mod for the second time here, this time on my ZR1, with front panel port mounting (old post bookmarked a few years ago - found it again here, after some Googling ! )

The light carrier needed milling to allow front panel mount, and STILL carries light to the cassette right side guide port.

ZR1 here...

I made sure to give credit as well, after linking on the other vette boards.

I'm now working on (unless you've found this since), how to wire in the power by-pass, as well as the SIGNAL by-pass, such that the optical disk drive does NOT have to be powered up.

Have you solve this one??? No progress here just yet...

AND WHERE DO YOU MOUNT THE Flux Capacitor???
Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
Chevy tape deck is waaaay different than all of the pictures taken here....... Please help with which wire harness to tap into.

Thanks
I did do a pontiac cassette deck - should be pictures somewhere in this thread. If I recall the audio is on the smaller connnector instead of the longer one. Should be easy enough to track it down - you can find the possible connectors since they'll run from the cassette unit to the main board, then test each wire on the connector when it's playing either probing with headphones listening for sound or shorting each pin and the audio goes out.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason Novak
I did do a pontiac cassette deck - should be pictures somewhere in this thread. If I recall the audio is on the smaller connnector instead of the longer one. Should be easy enough to track it down - you can find the possible connectors since they'll run from the cassette unit to the main board, then test each wire on the connector when it's playing either probing with headphones listening for sound or shorting each pin and the audio goes out.
thanks..... Might go with the GM 9aux adapter.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I added the aux jack to my fctory 02 SS stereo. Works great but when plugged into the cig lighter to charge at the same time I use it for Pandora or whatever I get crazy alternator interference noise. I can definitely deal with it but just wondering if anyone has the same issue. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-image.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Launching!

What are you grounding to? You may need a ground loop isolator, cheap on eBay
Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

incase any of you guys were planning on buying a delco off ebay with the aux input already added, AVOID the ebay seller "jmag2222"
He's the seller, constantly selling the Camaro CD players (with aux input) for $119. The auctions state the units are tested 100% and guaranteed to work, but all he checks for are the obvious things, like the functions working.
He sold me a headunit that the CD player skipped HORRIBLY. Every little tiny bump in the road would cause a bigass skip.....but I'm not even worried about that problem. What really screwed me was that the HU has a short in it, so when you cut the ignition off, the HU drains the battery. It will kill my battery completely, overnight. It ruined my 6 month old battery, before I figured out the problem.
I probably should have avoided him to begin with, considering it looks like an illiterate typed the item descriptions.
http://stores.ebay.com/jmag2222
Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Anyone ever figure out the cd audio bleeding through yet? I just did this to a 2000 c5 with bose. Guts looked similar to the original post. I do get audio but only on the left side and I get the nice faint CD playing in the backround. I found that If i changed the balance all the way to the left i have no backround but of course audio only from the left side

Interesting thing, I went ahead and cut the lines coming from the CD player to the aux input (pins 3 and 4 on the aux diagram) so only the aux input sound should be being piped through to the speakers. I STILL get the CD bleeding through but it's vastly reduced and when I play just a CD sounds like it's coming through only the highs in all 4 speakers. Shouldn't be possible if the 1 and 3 on this HU are the only audio.

Last edited by rielcrazy; 04-15-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 AM
Launching!

I don't think there is audio on other lines, it may be a defective jack, or possibly an issue with your ground connection
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

can't be, the 1st and 3rd wires no longer come from the cd player at all, i cut them, the only sound source is the aux. It must have another source sending information to the mid speakers.

Further today I cut all the wires coming from the aux so the 1st and 3rd wires now terminate completely and I still am having sound from the cd player come through I appreciate the help though. Looks like I'll probably have to spring for an adapter.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Where are you getting your ground from? Recommended is the stereo chassis. Otherwise there may be additional audio, probing as you mention should find it
Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Has anyone had any issues with their CD player overheating after this mod? If I have my aux input plugged in on an 80+ degree day the CD player seems to overheat and throw the error code within 15 minutes or so. The radio continues to work fine though..

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter