Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

headlights wont go down and making a real quiet ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights wont go down and making a real quiet ticking noise

headlights wont go down and making a real quiet ticking noise
i just got done fixing one of my headlight motors by replacing the gear. so now thats fixed.. but now sometimes when i goto turn the headlights down they will make a real quiet ticking noise.. its not the grinding noise that it makes when its slipping. what is causing that? the headlights go up and down fine aobut 5 times, then the last time when i have them up and then goto put them down..they dont move and it makes that ticking noise
Old 01-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

If it's the car pictured in your signature, it's because it's a Mustang!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If it's the car pictured in your signature, it's because it's a Mustang!
97 Mustang GT 4.6 5-spd :: 87 Mustang GT 5.0 5-spd :: 98 Firebird 5-spd :: 97 Camaro A4
Old 01-22-2008, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

Default headlights

sounds like the gear is binding did you replace it with the metal gear or plastic gear.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

metal
Old 01-23-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ya you may want to possibly try getting another replacement gear just to make sure the metal one you have isnt machined wrong or something like that... they sell the plastic replacements at autozone for $14... you have to special order the part and it takes a couple days to come in, but it is part # 42400... so i would start there maybe because thats probably the cheapest place to start...
Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can replace the gears all day long...they will still strip out to if you don't address the housing. It is the design of the motor. The only thing holding the motor and gear housing together is 4 tabs bent around the platic gear housing. The tabs over time rust a little and start to fail allowing play between the metal worm drive and the plastic gear housing. To really fix the motor I slid a strip of plasic about a half inch wide, an inch long, and 1/8" deep behind the metal worm driver which pressed the worm drive closer to the gear. Then I placed a thin washer around the gear shaft. This elimated any play fore and aft. Then I put it back together and squeezed the tabs back with pliers tightly against the gear housing. Then I put some of the extra epoxy on them to help strengthen them. I just used what was left over from resealing the cover on. I do ALOT of night driving and have had no more issues from them after doing this.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpInTheFire.com
97 Mustang GT 4.6 5-spd :: 87 Mustang GT 5.0 5-spd :: 98 Firebird 5-spd :: 97 Camaro A4
I guess sometimes people don't recognize a joke even with a smiley.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was funny!! Even without the smiley!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone ever experienced having their TA headlights move at different speeds? The difference isn't that big, but definitely noticeable. Could superficial positioning interfere with the motor speed?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the problem of my headlights coming up and going down at different speeds after i replaced my first stripped gear out about a month ago... after i replaced the gear they moved at different speeds for about 4 weeks or so, and then one night when i got home, i turn off my headlights just to hear the slamming shut and grinding that i was just getting used to not hearing
so im guessing if you have replaced your old gear with another nylon one and they move at different speeds, you will probably be in the same boat i am before long
and i ended up ordering new brass gears for it this week since it only started doing this again last week, so hopefully my troubles are over
Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what's going on with mine either. I thought it was fixed. The driver's side headlight was working fine....went up and down about 15 times before we took it to get inspected Friday night. We pull it in to the shop, turn the lights on and then off....and the drivers side was stuck up...it wont go down. It appears the arm is binding so we're thinking it may be a problem with the arm or the headlight motor is allowing the arm to go further then it should be extended???