Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Great, Now my airbag light is on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Great, Now my airbag light is on...

Ok, as many of you may know, I had a thread about the cylinder key not working. Anyways, I figured out the problem and re-installed.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/880668-security-light-came.html

Well, I reconnected the plug at the base, then re-plugged at the steering wheel, then put the fuse back in. It was doing fine, till I pulled into the autozone parking lot to return the tool i borrowed. I made a sharp right turn and i heard a "click" sound from what sounded was coming from my steering wheel. I checked the fuse and it was fine. I checked the other 2 plugs they are fine. I am thinking Its the airbag coil. Has anyone else had this problem before?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your horn work? Do our cars have clock springs? That happened to me before in another car. It was the clock spring.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by candela
Does your horn work? Do our cars have clock springs? That happened to me before in another car. It was the clock spring.

Yes, the horn works. The Haynes manual that I have been using (93-00 camaro/firebird) states on page 12-5,

"8.14 To center the airbag coil, depress the spring lock (see arrow in illustration); rotate the hub in the direction of the arrow; back the hub off 2 1/2 turns and release the spring lock"

So, before I go taking the steering wheel off again, I was just wondering if this has happened to some of you that have taken your steering wheel off. Could this cause the airbag light to stay lit?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

You should not of had to turn the clockwork spring in order to exchange the cylinder. You might have on accident but all you had to do was get some slack on the wires and pull it out of the way.

Do you remember turning the black inner piece of the clock work spring any?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
You should not of had to turn the clockwork spring in order to exchange the cylinder. You might have on accident but all you had to do was get some slack on the wires and pull it out of the way.

Do you remember turning the black inner piece of the clock work spring any?
Yes, I believe I did. I only messed with it because the book had mentioned something about it. It was loose and It freely moved when i pushed on the spring release. Does it actually coil up, and should it have tension? Also, would this cause my light to turn on?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Anybody? I am at wits end. I have tried to coil it back up, but I dont think it is working. I didnt get any tension, and I must have done like 50 turns.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

because its broken. they only turn 2.5 each way
Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

well I know if you have the steering wheel to where it can free spin ( the steering shafts off in the engine bay like for a headder install) and you spin the wheel the arming coil will snap. I did that to mine being dumb now my air bag light is on and my buttons on my steering wheel wont work but my horn works. idk if you might have messed with the arming coil and something got moved or not put back in right but thats what it sounds like broke. Mine made a click noise also when it broke.

EDIT: ok after re reading your problem. Your arming coil is broken. I know what you mean about lining up the arrows and all. That has to be what broke. I havent replaced mine because I couldn't figure out how to get the wires ran back the same way in the steering colom.

Last edited by BlackSS2001; 03-19-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sercastiK
because its broken. they only turn 2.5 each way
Yea, I spoke to the guy at the parts department at my local GM parts. He said "The coil is probably spinning because its broken", he then said it happened to somebody that works there, and it does cause the light to come on. So now I get to spend over $150 just to have an airbag and the light turn off. I guess thats a pretty good investment. I guess they do kinda save your life right? It just sucks that it broke. Probably because I didnt put it back on right.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1Formula98
Yea, I spoke to the guy at the parts department at my local GM parts. He said "The coil is probably spinning because its broken", he then said it happened to somebody that works there, and it does cause the light to come on. So now I get to spend over $150 just to have an airbag and the light turn off. I guess thats a pretty good investment. I guess they do kinda save your life right? It just sucks that it broke. Probably because I didnt put it back on right.
Yea it is 150 new and well worth it

maybe 10 used on ebay but most have been deployed or have cut ends (not good! but useable)

do u have wheel controls?

sounds like yours is broken. I have taken them apart. They coil up like you would expect. I tried to repair one but it doesn't work unless you have a mini spot welder.

the coil has tension when tested by hand but easy to break
Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just unpluged mine and the passenger side one. lol
Old 03-20-2008, 03:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

honestly i would just remove it its very simple, but if this is a DD def have it fixed
Old 03-20-2008, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
honestly i would just remove it its very simple, but if this is a DD def have it fixed
Yes, this car is my DD. Thats why I am getting it fixed.

Quick Reply: Great, Now my airbag light is on...