Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

annoying speaker static

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying speaker static

ok fellas ive got an 01 camaro vert with a pioneer head unit, kicker speakers and a sony 4 channel amp powering them.

my problems are that recently ive heard a static noise coming from the speakers when the volume is at 0 and i can still hear it when i turn it up a bit.... the other issue is something that ive since i got the system installed.... any time i hit the brake pedal i hear a pop and whine come from the speakers... but it goes away when i let off the pedal... OH and IF i turn the head unit off completely the static and the whine dissapear.... what is my problem? and what do yall reccomend that i do to correct these issues.... they are soo freaking annoying!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a bad ground.

Did you do the install yourself?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad ground, bad/cheap RCA's, or RCA's that were laid too close to the power wire for your amp and aren't shielded enough. Those would be my guesses.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Which sony amp do you have. I have the 4 channel 600watt amp and I have static in my front components.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

i had a local shop do the install... im not sure of what model the amp is ...its a tiny chrome xplod ...lol....hu is a pioneer deh p9800
Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Banned

What type of kit/equipment did they use to install it. IF they went the cheap route they may have used cheaper RCA cables which do not have great sheilding. This will allow noise into the signal especially if they ran them near the power wire for your amp which is the quicker easier way to install it because you don't have to take apart as much in the interior.
With better quality RCA's they have shielding that protects them from noise so running them close to power wire won't affect them. Older model and cheaper RCA cable does not have this and so when installing an amp you had to run the RCA's on the opposite side of the car or a good distance from the power to keep noise from getting into the signal.
This may be affecting your sound.
A bad grounding location could also be the issue. Where is the amp grounded? If the amp is not grounded properly this can affect sound as well.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

i am unsure of the install kit that the shop used but i do know that they grounded it directly next to the amp on the sheetmetal of the upper deck in the convertible
Old 05-10-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shielding in the RCAs doesn't mean crap.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Simple ground test ...
Run a ground wire (Quick no Install just do it on the outside to test)
From the head unit to the amp to see if there is a ground issue
If it stops .. correct ground
Look to see how high the amp is turned up
It may be as simple as turning it down a little
Old 05-11-2008, 05:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Shielding in the RCAs doesn't mean crap.
How so?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
How so?
All that matters is that the wire has a good connection. There is nothing you really need to shield from. Even if you had RF interference, very few amplifiers have a high enough slew rate to amplify it. Even if yours did, even a tweeter has impedance far too high to reproduce it. Even if it did, our ears still can't hear RF.

It matters that the ground of the wire is in good condition, but its shielding capability doesn't really matter.

Besides, if the ground IS absorbing audible noise, then it will still show up in the signal. Only way to get around that would be to use a balanced setup.