Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My Dual headunit keeps skipping...anyway to MAKE IT STOP????

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Dual headunit keeps skipping...anyway to MAKE IT STOP????

Alright, I have a 2001 Trans-Am WS6 as you can probably tell by my username. I bought it used and for some reason the previous owner removed the factory Monsoon headunit and put in a Dual brand headunit. Its a nice looking unit and all.....BUT IT SKIPS OVER EVERY SINGLE IMPERFECTION IN THE ROAD. No matter if I hit a small bump, rough pavement, pothole, it skips all the time and its really getting to me. I have owned 2 other cars in the past and both of those had Pioneer headunits in them and I can honestly say I don't recall them EVER skipping over anything EVER. I took my dual unit out and reinstalled it hopeing maybe putting it in tighter and better would help, but it didn't. I still own one of my cars with a Pioneer headunit, a 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT that is currently broken (jumped timing and transmission) and I took the Pioneer unit out of it and went to put it in the T/A when I relized I would have to re-wire the WHOLE harness which I REALLY do NOT feel like doing. So I am posting this thread hoping for a quick fix answer....but im not counting on it...I guess I will have to plan to re-wire if you guys don't know some tricks im missing out on.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you've already verified that the deck is as tight as it can be, and it's still skipping, the answer should be a given....it's time to replace it.

why do you need to re-wire the entire harness? did the previous owner cut into the factory harness instead of using an aftermarket quick-connect harness?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
if you've already verified that the deck is as tight as it can be, and it's still skipping, the answer should be a given....it's time to replace it.

why do you need to re-wire the entire harness? did the previous owner cut into the factory harness instead of using an aftermarket quick-connect harness?
Damnit, I figured that

Also, the harness from the T/A does not connect straight into the Pioneer unit. I took the harness out of the 3000GT and it won't connect to the connecter from the T/A, so I guess I just gotta combine the 2...its alot of wiring but hopefully its worth the $$ saved over getting a new unit
Old 05-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Banned

if you got a new unit you would still have to rewire.... dual has nice looks but thats all they've got. ALL of their products are junk.

i prefer pioneer and alpine HU's even 10 year old models usually work flawlessly (even though there are no features and look prehistoric)
Old 05-28-2008, 03:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toslo5o
if you got a new unit you would still have to rewire.... dual has nice looks but thats all they've got. ALL of their products are junk.

i prefer pioneer and alpine HU's even 10 year old models usually work flawlessly (even though there are no features and look prehistoric)
Dual's subs are not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination, but i've got a single 10" of theirs in my car right now, and it's peforming far better than i thought it would, especially for only costing $30 brand new. it's not going to win me any SPL competitions, but that's not what i got it for.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Banned

the answer to this thread was in the title. its a dual head unit. id rather use a walkman
Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camaro-94-z28
the answer to this thread was in the title. its a dual head unit. id rather use a walkman
X2
Old 05-28-2008, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Why would someone change out a nice factory Monsoon unit which I assume was a 6 disk changed for something soooo junky??? Damnit I wish he would of left the damn stereo alone!
Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Could be a number of reasons. Maybe they had trouble with the factory one. Or, it could have just been a young fellow who just thought it was lame to have the factory one. Either way, your best bet is to get a new one. There are many brands out there that will be better than dual, like Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, or Eclipse.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

And no...it wasn't an indash 6-disc because they never came with one. The factory option was a 12-disc changer that was mounted in the cubby hole in the hatch area on the left side.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Ohh, but either way I wish he just elft it alone....I guess my day off Friday I will spend rewiring a harness for a CD player
Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try to get it replaced and dont by that **** again........when it comes to sound if you dont know much keep tight with those name brands, like alpine, kenwood etc....there is an exception to that rule and that is dont buy any junk from sony......its not made in japan anymore
Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by davidadavila
try to get it replaced and dont by that **** again........when it comes to sound if you dont know much keep tight with those name brands, like alpine, kenwood etc....there is an exception to that rule and that is dont buy any junk from sony......its not made in japan anymore
couldnt have said it any better, sony audio anything is **** keep that in mind